Palin calls on Romney to work harder for the conservative vote
February 11th, 2012

Palin calls on Romney to work harder for the conservative vote

Washington (CNN) - Sarah Palin issued a warning to Mitt Romney Saturday, calling on the former Massachusetts governor to do a better job explaining his record to conservatives or risk dampening voter turnout in November if he wins the Republican presidential nomination.

In an interview with CNN and The New York Times before her speech to the Conservative Political Action Conference in Washington, Palin said she was confused by Romney’s declaration here on Friday that he was a “severely conservative Republican.”

Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

“I wasn’t quite sure what the word 'severely' meant,” Palin said.

She said Romney and his two main rivals - Rick Santorum and Newt Gingrich - should be given time to explain the flaws in their record until the Republican National Convention in August, when she said the nomination fight could ultimately be decided.

But Romney may have the hardest sale to make, she said, asking him to explain his “shifts in ideology” since he left the Massachusetts governorship.

“You have to have the tea party patriots enthused and energized in order to win this nomination, and more importantly in order to defeat Barack Obama,” Palin argued.

If conservatives are “dismissed and they are marginalized” by the Republican establishment, “they are going to be much less enthused and much less willing to put it all on the line for the GOP candidate in the general election.”

“We can’t afford to have low voter turnout in the general election, and that is all the more reason for Romney to really start connecting more with conservatives,” she said.

Though she has spoken warmly about both Gingrich and Santorum, she said she was still making up her mind about which candidate to support.

Her Fox News contract does not prohibit her from weighing in on the presidential race, she said.

Palin said she would not encourage any of the candidates to drop out of the race, saying it’s “not yet” time for Gingrich to step aside and allow Santorum to rally the conservative vote.

She also welcomed the possibility of a brokered convention in Tampa.

“I don’t think that it would be a negative for the party, a brokered convention,” she said. “And people who start screaming that a brokered convention is the worst thing for the GOP, they have an agenda. They have their own personal or political reasons for their own candidate, who they would like to see protected away from a brokered convention. That’s part of the competition, that’s part of the process. And it may happen.”

Filed under: 2012 • CPAC 2012 • Mitt Romney • Sarah Palin
  1. John

Hey Mitt, how about you name her as your choice for VP? That would shut her up, convince her whatever-it-is that follows her you really are severely conservative (? is that like congenital?), and it might kill the votes of a few left-leaners like me who could actually die laughing.

February 11, 2012 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  2. JiminNM

The Party is split, and the country divided. Ron Paul supporters won't vote for anyone else. Maybe America deserves one Khazar puppet after another until they determine that freedom and liberty are worth more than a U.S. Federal Government Corporation hand out via the theft of wages from every American.

February 11, 2012 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  3. Marie MD

Yeah, go ahed flip flopper because if you should listen to anyone it should be the imbecile from AK who not only tanked mccain's run in 2008 but was the initial evil spreader of lies, hates and half truths.
    Let's not forget that she and that eunuch husband of hers are traitors and members of the AK independent party. A group of secessionists!!
    cnn – how about a recent picture of the she devil. Show us the work she has done in the last few months since she went under the rock she crawled from under before she realized that the bus tour wasn't bringing in the people and money like she thought it would.

February 11, 2012 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  4. Anonymous

Who cares what she has to say. She doesn't even matter. So sick of her!!

February 11, 2012 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  5. Marion

Aside from Palin's utter stupidity, I have to say that I don't know what he meant by "I am severely conservative" either. Now if he said he was "severely out of touch" with Americans, I could understand that. I am sure the stupid teabaggers thought that was a great applause line. LOL.

February 11, 2012 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  6. BK

The problem isn't his record. The problem is that most republicans are bigots and he's a mormon.
    Not that I'm complaining, I want them to keep shooting themselves in the foot with every attempt.

February 11, 2012 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  7. JN

Palin is confused. So where is the new news?

February 11, 2012 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  8. MaryM

Failin Palin telling flip flop Mit to work harder. LOL

February 11, 2012 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  9. Marie MD

@david kramer – you wrote Jimmy Carter did not flip to countries to radical Islam and about destroyed the economy.
    LOL! Were you still in the womb from 2000 to 2008? If anyone has taught the world that he doesn't take any b s from radical muslims it's Obama. Sending in the Seals to rescue the ship captain, drone killing al wazari(or whatever he spelled his name) and let's not forget what your boy bush couldn't do KILL BIN LADEN!!

February 11, 2012 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  10. Marshall

How the Republicans could come up with such an awful slate of candidates I will never understand. I think Huntsman would have had the best shot at beating Obama. I think he would have gotten votes that would have gone to Obama . Huntsman is sane, a successful governor, has foreign policy experience. But he does not thump on the Bible and believes in science so that eliminated him.

February 11, 2012 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  11. TJeff1776

LOL WHY is this lady even attending in the first place, must less speaking. Where is the credibility ????? I'm glad she(all but) and husband endorsed Gingrich and NOT gave the kiss of death to Romney.

February 11, 2012 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  12. TPF

Why does the news media keep this nut in the news. She is a nobody!

February 11, 2012 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  13. TPF

CNN will not show any of my comments, and they are less demeaning then the ones they allow? Freedom of speech, yea right.

February 11, 2012 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  14. theUnallied

I cringe literally even reading her quotations b/c I can hear that high pitched, whiney mama bear voice. Everyone knows that Romney is a moderate and he can say he's conservative, but it doesn't matter. Nobody needs Sarah to state the obvious...even though I know it probably took a lot for her to figure all this out. Somebody pat her on the back for me. Sarah...you so smart.

February 11, 2012 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  15. vivian

after I last posted it had a notice: "Your comment is awaiting moderation." Well, I would say that my comment was very moderate already! And... I think of all things that should be moderated, moderation is at the top!

February 11, 2012 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  16. n

Palin why don't to shut up everytime u talk u talk rubbish

February 11, 2012 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  17. JRH

Does **anybody** seriously care what Sarah Palin thinks (as if), says, or does? Really?

February 11, 2012 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  18. Heywood Jablomi

why is this repulsive creature still around?

February 11, 2012 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  19. tan

She is the most stupid woman I have ever come across in political arena. I cannot understand why Americans are even listening to her. She is good for Fox news and Tea party not for ordinary Americans. Sometimes I scratch my head hearing her in the TV and wonder does this lady ever had logic in her head or Americans have lost logic.

February 11, 2012 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  20. kevin

It is no way the gop's are going to win. They can't let Palin go, the audience all look the same ( no diversity ), they depend on the tea party and there leadership will never change. McCain said it best: when you look at the GOP's, are you see is a bunch of old white guys.

February 11, 2012 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  21. Freddo

Sarah has every right to speak her mind and lecture the candidates ... just as I have every right to express my opinion.

Sarah, you're an ignorant twit who has no business lecturing anyone.

February 11, 2012 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  22. independent

Romney had better listen to Sarah. She has a proven record as a half-term governor and a failed Vice-Presidential bid. She certainly knows how to lose and fail.

February 11, 2012 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  23. Z_2k

If there is anyone who needs a warning, it's Sarah Palin: keep you mouth shut.

February 11, 2012 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  24. Thomas

Drill Baby Drill, Clean Coal , Fracking , Water boarding , No CONTRACEPTIVEs .

Don't Bring our Boys Home , AND NO NEW TAXES !

WE in The GOP HAVE IDEALS , Principals and deep convictions .

February 11, 2012 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  25. Obama 2012

Actually, Sarah has been right the last couple times... Trust me I find it hard to write this!

February 11, 2012 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |