February 13th, 2012

As campaign heats up, Michelle Obama settles into first lady role

Washington (CNN) – First lady Michelle Obama is a popular American political figure, even more so than her husband. Her name, face and stories of her influence behind the scenes are a constant in the media, and sometimes in not so flattering words and images.

In books, she is portrayed as battling with White House insiders. In magazines, she has been satirized as a militant activist. On TV, she responds to those who see her as an "angry black woman."

FULL STORY

Filed under: 2012 • Michelle Obama • President Obama
  1. gt

good mom...good first lady...wish she could do more to help inter city women become role models to there childern like she is..

February 13, 2012 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  2. GROVER NORQUIST IS AN ENEMY OF THE STATE

I swear the media kills me with this "angry black woman" stereotype. I guess you can say that Gov. Brewer pointing her finger in the face of the President is "angry white woman" syndrome? I wish she would have tried that while Michelle was there. She would have got smacked into next week.

OBAMA/BIDEN 2012
    ELIZABETH WARREN 2012 & BEYOND

February 13, 2012 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  3. Woman In California

She is a GREAT role model for young girls everywhere. The only reason the republicans hate her is because they have NOTHING on her and because she is EFFECTIVE. Two things they hate about black women.

I loved the video of her and Jimmy Kimmel and it showed what great physical and emotional shape she's in.

Keep up the good work First Lady Michelle and don't let these pigs bother you.

February 13, 2012 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  4. ingrid

Only good things to say about our current first lady.

February 13, 2012 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  5. Woman In California

@ GROVER NORQUIST IS AN ENEMY OF THE STATE

I couldn't agree with you more on your comment.

Just because most black women (myself included) don't giggle, wear BIG smiles on our faces and are no pushovers does not mean we are "angry". We have just had to take on a more serious role in life and as a result of that – we developed very strong, independent moral characters and are not easily pushed over – so don't judge us as "angry" before you REALLY get to know us as we contribute greatly to our society and LOVE our familes.

February 13, 2012 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  6. tony

Michele and Hillary are the most intelligent first ladies of all times, they are definitely not as dim like most republican First ladies that came to the white house.

February 13, 2012 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  7. Romney is not My Hero

I'm very proud to have such a POSITIVE role model in the White House as our current First Lady (not just for black women but ALL women) Love you First Lady.

OBAMA 2012! (That's Mr. & Mrs. Obama)

February 13, 2012 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  8. Willie Floyd

Our First Lady deserves all the praise she receives. She is a role model for young, middle age, and elderly (like Me!) women , and of all races.

OBAMA/BIDEN/2012

February 13, 2012 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  9. Al-NY,NY

Wow. Seven replies (as of this writing) and not one negative comment! She is trying to get kids to eat more healthy and the righties paint her as "intrusive." She shows initiative and toughness and she's "angry." What a load. I guess the righties ideal First Lady is "do you want more tea with those cookies dear? And can I get you anything else at all? I am here to serve you"

February 13, 2012 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  10. GoodRiddance

Please speak for yourself, she is not a role model for me? She is just another mother,wife like millions of us. Nothing special about her. She got lucky and became a first lady, that all to it.

February 13, 2012 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  11. tony

@Good riddance- and your piont is, you sound so jealous.

February 13, 2012 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |