GOP leaders drop key demand in payroll tax cut standoff
February 13th, 2012

GOP leaders drop key demand in payroll tax cut standoff

Washington (CNN) – In a sharp turnaround, House Republican leaders Monday dropped a key demand that the cost of extending the payroll tax cut be offset by spending cuts elsewhere in the budget.

The decision removes a major obstacle to passage of the tax cut extension for the rest of the year, a move that has been in question.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Congress • Taxes
  1. Namejkane fl

I guess they see the hand writing on the wall, dem landslide coming in Nov!!

February 13, 2012 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  2. Independent Voters

My friend live in VA and they want Cantor voted out of the office. I heard the state is mad with Cantor even some of the
    republican in VA is mad with Cantor because they feel he destroying the republican party.

February 13, 2012 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  3. Mikey

I applaud this move by the GOP. We can't make every issue a death match or an opportunity to extract concessions.

Hopefully, we can move toward a productive debate on the budget. Wouldn't it be novel to actually approve one the way it is supposed to be done.

February 13, 2012 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  4. Four and The Door

This is disappointing. The federal government spending is the greatest threat to the future of our nation now and it just got a little worse. We need Mitt Romney's leadership in Washington more than ever. What we have now is irresponsibility at a time when responsible decision making is more important than ever.

February 13, 2012 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  5. gt

the politians dont give a crap about social security....both sides are gutless... remember them...when social security runs out of money in a few years and your social security cks are cut just like greece...

February 13, 2012 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  6. Larry in Houston

Should the payroll tax cut be extended yet again?

Answer: If the tax cut were not extended, then it will be 160 million working americans voting for a Democrat, does that make sense ? Yes – You can sure tell it's an election year. Yes – they deserve More Time Off – A Lot of people call them a "do nothing" congress. My definition for the current congress is, "a Stop Congress" sort of like – when I used to smoke, way back years ago, when people asked me when I was going to Quit – everytime I started back up again, I told them, "I never Have Quit" "I Just Stopped "

February 13, 2012 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  7. marisol morales

Why is the DMV office working with the mental health facilities to get several people to that look alike and send someone to accuse the other person that they assume was the other person to get the other family to make false accusations of someone they assume was the person in their family but not. That is an act of terrorism and I almost got killed for the simple fact that some idiot told a family that was looking for their daughter that looked like me and kept yelling out their daughter name to me. I almost killed for this stupid act of terrorism and I got raped and robbed too. Why because the stupid mental state hospitals made a deal with dmv to drive people crazy so they can have innocent bystanders as myself to be used as lab rats for their experimental medicine aka poison and pretend that nothing happend!!! Now I know why Ex President Bush stop medicaid from paying over 3000 mental health medicine the mental health and the dmv are fraudulent neighbors of terrorism. I am a victim and my name is Marisol Morales and I live in Jacksonville FL

February 13, 2012 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  8. Voice of Reason

"I think we all recognize that the president's playbook is one to run against Congress and claim we're the problem," – John Cornyn.

A statement that makes a lot of sense – unless you really ARE the problem. I see that while the GOP House Reps see the writing on the wall, the spin continues. They need to realize that people are as sick of the bluster and hot air as they are of the GOP's obstinate 'Blockade against America'. November cant get here fast enough.

February 13, 2012 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  9. Rick McDaniel

They caved again.

February 13, 2012 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  10. The Greedy Old Pigs declared class war on US!

Wake up and smell the coffee, GOBP. This is a drop in the bucket. Now show you're really serious about changing your fiscally irresponsible ways and get behind the millionaire tax supported by three quarters of America and around half of your own voters.

February 13, 2012 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  11. CA Dream USA

Country First.....Surprise it works......

February 13, 2012 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  12. Jules

Good news – they probably figure if they insisted on a way to pay for the extension with cuts to spending they would have trouble coming up with a way to pay for the tax cuts they want extended for the wealthy. Why don't you just try it the president's way. If it fails you will be reelected, but if you keep standing in the way, the GOP majority may be short lived.

February 13, 2012 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  13. Hap

It must be a trick, or there's a catch. It could just be a weak attemptto look like they're helping the middle class, while protecting to lowest of the low, the one percent pay 13.9 percent. Here's a quiz for you, as he tax rates drop: a) The defiicit will rise b) the rich will become richer. c) more jobs will move overseas d) all of the above. All those big contributers at CPAC would argue none of the above and the ignorant middle class repubs will buy it for the 4th time since Raygun. The definition of insanity. SSDRepub

February 13, 2012 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  14. CBR

Do you think they got the word that the American people do not believe that those in Congress are doing their jobs? Their polling numbers are around 10% and that means that 90% of those polled are not in their favor.

Unfortunately we do not have time to sit around and wait for Congress to realize just how upset we are. Every day they do not act on legislation is another day that the costs go up. Those very wealthy members of Congress do not understand this or do not seem to care. It is all politics and getting someone elected. I hope those in the Mitch McConnell camp are pleased. Doing nothing for three years must be a record!

February 13, 2012 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  15. Proud member of "Global Zero"

I guess they are getting the message from us. We cut education, pensions, SS, Medicare, and Medicaid to pay for Gov. Romey's tax cuts plus everyone else in congress.

February 13, 2012 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |