Washington (CNN) – A majority of Americans support the payroll tax cut, according to a new national survey.
A CNN/ORC International poll released Tuesday indicates that 54% of the public supports the payroll tax cut for all American workers, with 42% opposed.
See full results (pdf)
Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker
The poll's release comes as President Barack Obama stepped up his push to get Congress to extend the payroll tax cut for the rest of the year, arguing that a failure to do so could derail the economic recovery.
"This is a make-or-break moment for the middle class," Obama said at the White House. "The last thing we need is for Washington to stand in the way of America's comeback."
Obama's remarks came one day after House GOP leaders dropped their demand that any extension be offset by spending cuts elsewhere in the budget. The decision was a sharp turnaround for House Republicans, who previously argued that a failure to fully pay for the tax break would be financially reckless.
Despite the fact that Obama has been the principle voice calling for the payroll tax cut, Republicans support the proposal more than Democrats do. Some 59% of Republicans say the payroll tax cut is a good idea; Democrats are evenly divided on the issue.
"Younger Americans are also least likely to support the payroll tax cut idea. It's possible that they see little personal gain from a tax cut since their salaries tend to be lower if they have been able to find work at all, while at the same time the proposal further decreases their perceived chances of ever getting Social Security benefits," CNN Polling Director Keating Holland said.
The CNN poll was conducted by ORC International from February 10-13, with 1,026 adult Americans questioned by telephone. The survey's overall sampling error is plus or minus three percentage points.
- CNN Political Editor Paul Steinhauser contributed to this report.
Romney seeks to unite conservatives
Protestors disrupt Santorum event, get arrested
National Review calls for Gingrich to leave race
Pro-Romney super PAC increases buy in Michigan
@Claudia, Houston, Tx
'Republicans are enemy #1 and if Americans can't see that, then we are all doomed."
Sounds like the same kind of authoritarian statement a Republican would say.
"comes out of the SS trust fund......so you are steaking your chikdren's retirement......oh yeah, hope and change"
No it doesn't. Try again.
"I do not trust the republicans and the tea partyists at all. Their apparent reversal may be a temporary trick to mislead President Obama Denocrats: be careful to vote for republican proposals."
First, this isn't a GOP proposal...it is a massive GOP/teatroll cave in recognition that they damaged themselves horribly by putting up a stink about extending the payroll tax cuts in the first place a couple months ago. Second, Reid and other Dems are already considering adding unemployment insurance extensions and the Medicare "doc fixes" to the legislation in order to dare the GOP/Teatrolls to deny the whole package, because there is some suggestion that in exchange for caving here, the GOP/Teatrolls may try to block extension of UI or the doc fixes...even though trying to block those would likely be similarly unpopular and damaging for them (i.e., they make seek a bit of revenge on the Dems and middle class, particularly since preventing extension of UI would harm the recovery taking place and they want it slowed down). Don't worry so much. The GOP/Teatrolls have been getting handed rope for 3+ years now. The hanging is coming soon.
When asked properly, I'm sure that number would change. Ask if they favor (use the avrage extra money per pay check) or reducing the deficit by (use the amount the deficit could be reduced over year) I think you wil se that the bigger picture will win out.
no surprise ..thats why most americans have no savings and live from pay ck to pay ck... they dont save and only live for the now....
george of the jungle
everyone needs a hand right now while the economy is still fragil. Once we are on better footing let's get rid of the bush tax cuts and have the millionairs pay their fair share.
Their fair share? You have been living in the jungle. The top 3% of earners pay more than the other 97%. I believe their fair share would be less than that.
But don't worry. Obama is hinting at going after the 99%ers now. His Chief Economic Adviser spilled the beans yesterday. It seems they now want everyone...not just the billionaires, but everyone... to " pay their fair share". They will come up with a number that apparently every working American needs to pay in taxes regardless.
You are a fool if you think they were stopping at millionaires. They were just starting with the millionaires. They will work their way down to every working American. Just to be fair.