Perry ponders another White House bid
February 14th, 2012

Perry ponders another White House bid

(CNN) – Rick Perry may "absolutely" run for president again and described the debates in the 2012 primary as good practice.

The Texas governor, who suspended his White House bid last month, also had positive memories about his presidential campaign.

Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"I tell people it was by far the most exhilarating thing that I've ever done," Perry told ABC News. "In a perfect world we would have started a lot earlier."

After an initial surge in national polling, Perry failed to gain traction and was plagued by less than stellar debate performances.

But Perry, now a Newt Gingrich backer, said the debates "have absolutely nothing to do with governing." When asked if they were good practice for 2016, Perry responded "Ya, could be."

The long serving governor also pushed back against labeling Romney the inevitable GOP nominee.

"I think this race is completely open," Perry said. "I don't think anyone's got a lock on it at this particular point in time."

Playing political adviser, Perry opined that Romney should have changed his tune on the health care plan he signed while governor of Massachusetts that resembles the current national plan.

"I'd have said listen governor, you've got to stand up in front of the American people and say that what you did on health care in Massachusetts was wrong and he never did that," Perry said.

Filed under: 2012 • 2016 • Rick Perry
  1. My name is Jose Jimenez

Perry may run as many times as he likes and the results will the same as 2012.

February 14, 2012 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  2. Hil

Some are DUMB....... and others can't learn........He learned NOTHING

February 14, 2012 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  3. Taran

@The Real Tom Paine...."Taran, the problem is that the intelligence was fitted to suit a policy objective: in other words, they reached a conclusion, then worked backwards to find a premise"

I'll have to agree to disagree with you on this one. If it was only our intelligence that they based the policy objective on, I might agree with you, but there were to many other country's intelligence agencies involved for them all to be in on it and nothing "leak" about the "conspiracy," (for lack of a better word at this moment).

February 14, 2012 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  4. The Real Tom Paine

Thanks for your respectful tone, Taran. My only concern with situations like that is that we let ideological bents decide the intelligence, but that's not uncommon. Have a good night, heading home.

February 14, 2012 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  5. Tex71

Perry is realizing that Romney makes him seem working-class, and Santorum makes him seem sane and sober; maybe he has a shot after all!

February 14, 2012 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  6. Anonymous

"You mean Bill and Hillary Clinton are conservatives? John Kerry a conservative too? Many other Democrats that voted to go to war conservatives? The mirage is your logic Paine."

Man, you just can't resist posting stuff that's been debunked years ago, can you? I guess we'll add history to the long list of things you know nothing about. The Cheney cartel fed Congress garbage based on manufactured intel and deliberately concealed or omitted conflicting information. Those votes were based on that bogus information. Funny that you are criticizing the people who got served garbage rather than those who cooked and served the garbage in the first place.

February 14, 2012 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  7. MaryM

awww, of course he does. Poor little ricky, just like palin, cant stand it when people are not paying attention to him.

February 14, 2012 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  8. Mark

Perry is a moron. Plain and simple.

February 14, 2012 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  9. Anonymous

"social security dummy... please try to keep up. I know it's difficult with that 3rd grade education."

Social security is the government "controlling" your retirement? Oh my, you are deluded. Does the government "control" your unemployment when you receive unemployment benefits? Aren't you supposed to be all about "personal responsibility"? Where's your responsibility to fund your retirement via IRAs or 401(k)s? SS is a safety net. Why do you have a problem with that?

February 14, 2012 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  10. Independent Voter

We had to read about this clown daily while he was a candidate in the Republican primaries.

Why waste our time now with articles about him?

February 14, 2012 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  11. deaner

"There were three things that I loved about running for president. The first was meeting all the wonderful people from across our great nation. The second was debating the important issues of our times. The third was ... was...dang, what was the third one? Oops, I did it again."

February 14, 2012 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  12. Big George in Big D

@Wire Palladin, S. F. – isn't that what certain activists are doing in San Fran? try try again. Eesh!

February 14, 2012 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  13. Thomas

Rick Perry is the right man at the right time in history.
    Rick never really dropped out of the race . He has been in deep meditation and prayer . Studying tirelessly with his whole life couches day and night . In the last month Rick hasn't executed a single person Texas, He's a changed man . Rick walks the talk, He was right in regards to Libya , Iowa and Mexico .

February 14, 2012 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  14. Terry

Rick Perry: Either you let me be POTUS or I am going to take my state and secede from the union. Of course if that move fails, I want every Republican Candidate to meet me at the OK Coral. I don't care if the OK Coral is in Arizona, I will have my Super PAC buy Arizona. Don't ask, I refuse to participate in a psychological exam. I am Rick Perry, the Pride of Texas.

February 14, 2012 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  15. ahah

Then he will become a 2 time loser..

February 14, 2012 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  16. NoKidding

Wow, just when I thought the republicans have hit the height of comedy, here comes another joke! What da ya know!

February 14, 2012 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  17. Sniffit

"I just hope all you Lefty Pinko Socialites will give Rick Perry another look before you throw the baby out with the diapers."

Huh? So Cowboy Fonzie is the baby and the rest of the GOP/Teatrolls are the dirty diapers? I can dig it. Let's roll with that. What's the Desytine? Book learnin?

February 14, 2012 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  18. Scott

As long as he doesn't run for Gov of Texas one more time, I'm fine with him losing a second presidential bid.

February 14, 2012 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  19. Puddin

Oh, no, Perry won't quit early. I read in the newspaper he is already drawing his pension (about $7,600 a month added to his regular salary) before he retires, so why would he quit now? He and other high-paid Texas politicians are slick. I suspect they decided to draw out their pensions early for fear it won't be there for them when they retire as it's likely to be raided to pay for something else. You know, like the government has raided Social Security all these years, and now they resent people even having SS to live on. Like they didn't earn it! Lower paid State workers (peons) cannot withdraw their pensions while they are still working as the governor does.

February 14, 2012 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  20. Mike

Hey Rick, if first you don't succeed, keep on sucking until you do succeed......

February 14, 2012 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  21. Cj n TX

ha ha ha ha ha, he never fails to fail.

February 14, 2012 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  22. Hair bear

I don't think so! That's not going to set well with his buddy governor Sam brown back of Kansas! Perry had his shot! Blew it in a terrible way next up his buddy! I don't even think he will consider him as a running mate!

February 14, 2012 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  23. Charlie in Maine

Read my lips: "No New Texans"

Well at least the GOP variety anyway. If y'all got another Ann Richards or Loyd Benson somewhre send em. Otherwise my first statement holds

February 14, 2012 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  24. Texas Conservative

This Texan is over Perry. I will be voting for Obama, and hope Perry leaves our state. Seriously!

February 14, 2012 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  25. Chuck Ladouceur

Hey Obama that fence you were going to put up between USA and Mexico, well how about building that fence around Texas and that way you keep most of the crasys in Texis but first invite 'Palin in to that State then fence them all in like the Bushes and their bone head party oh yes invite Rush Limbaugh is well he could be your home cook as he feeds most of us a load of bull.

February 14, 2012 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |