Perry ponders another White House bid
February 14th, 2012

Perry ponders another White House bid

(CNN) – Rick Perry may "absolutely" run for president again and described the debates in the 2012 primary as good practice.

The Texas governor, who suspended his White House bid last month, also had positive memories about his presidential campaign.

Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"I tell people it was by far the most exhilarating thing that I've ever done," Perry told ABC News. "In a perfect world we would have started a lot earlier."

After an initial surge in national polling, Perry failed to gain traction and was plagued by less than stellar debate performances.

But Perry, now a Newt Gingrich backer, said the debates "have absolutely nothing to do with governing." When asked if they were good practice for 2016, Perry responded "Ya, could be."

The long serving governor also pushed back against labeling Romney the inevitable GOP nominee.

"I think this race is completely open," Perry said. "I don't think anyone's got a lock on it at this particular point in time."

Playing political adviser, Perry opined that Romney should have changed his tune on the health care plan he signed while governor of Massachusetts that resembles the current national plan.

"I'd have said listen governor, you've got to stand up in front of the American people and say that what you did on health care in Massachusetts was wrong and he never did that," Perry said.

Filed under: 2012 • 2016 • Rick Perry
  1. Anibob

Rick Perry is and has been a total and complete embarrassment to the State of Texas.
    When I travel out of the State of Texas in my motor home hopefully I can temporarily
    replace my Texas tags. I have never voted for "dumb" or "dumber" so I don't want
    folks to think I am in the same frame of mind as our "governor".

February 14, 2012 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  2. MBW

God told Perry to run for President. I guess God likes a good joke also. By the way, God told Herman Cain and
    Newt Gingrich to run for President. Why does God keep setting these Republicans up? Is it party time in heaven?

February 14, 2012 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  3. alleygator

Well, if Dubya did it, how hard could it be?

February 14, 2012 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  4. GPN

Go ahead! Make Obamas day.

February 14, 2012 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  5. Corey

Save a pretzel for the gas jets.

February 14, 2012 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  6. cashmeremafia

He's even dumber now than I thought he was before

February 14, 2012 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  7. erin andrews perky breasts

perry just stop it please. you're an embarrassment to texas. you're making us look bad just stop please!

February 14, 2012 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  8. scott

I just thank god he has those memories.....but for how long?

February 14, 2012 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  9. Dick Hertz

I hope he runs again. I love watching him make a fool of himself.

February 14, 2012 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  10. AGW

After he said "absolutely," did he say "oops?'

February 14, 2012 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  11. gretchen

Guess what, all you BO fans out there- a man like Rick Perry and a lady like Sarah Palin could do infinitely more to truly help get things back on track for the USA than BO ever will. This is because Mr. Perry and Mrs. Palin are not in love with themselves, as is the obvious situation we have with BO. You can't see it because you have that life-threatening disorder- the liberal mentality.

February 14, 2012 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  12. pat carr

Dear PErry The Scary, please don't run again! Leave the 21st century to those modern enough to live in it!

February 14, 2012 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  13. John

If Rick Perry was smart and that the thing If he was smart and we know he not. He wouldn't waste other People money because he would never win. American People all ready seen how Brain dead this man Is. I don't even know how the People Of Texas voted this guy to be GOV.

February 14, 2012 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  14. Mike

What kind of off spring would Perry and Palin have ...ever wondered ?

February 14, 2012 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  15. jim

Let the attacks on Texas begin. Not every Texan voted for Perry.

February 14, 2012 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  16. us1776

Christ !! Perry?

That was a BAD MOVIE the first time around !!

February 14, 2012 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  17. Tyler Durden

KEEP PRACTICING, CHUCKLEHEAD. YOU ARE OUR (DEMOCRATS'S) BEST CAMPAIGN ASSISTANT!!!!!!

Seriously, why don't you just run for President of your Bible Study class. We (Texans) have had to put up with you for a decade and now you have embarrassed us on the national stage. We already learned from Bush – the President should be Smart. But "I would like to have a beer with W." But... he wouldn't have a beer with YOU. Unless you could get into his country club and past security to hand him a $50,000+ check.

February 14, 2012 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  18. Realist

Maybe on Newt's Moon Colony

February 14, 2012 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  19. GaryB

Sad thing is, when he was in the primaries, most of the polling showed him losing his own state.

February 14, 2012 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  20. Asturiano

He's brain dead.

February 14, 2012 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  21. RomneyWillStabilizeTheUS

Um...he lost his way to the microphone, tripping on the cord and suddenly saw no one in the audience.

No, he will not be back.

February 14, 2012 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  22. Leonid Brezhnev

Some people are so stupid they don't know when to quit.

February 14, 2012 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  23. allens

sure, i think he shoulkd run in 2016. the republicans need him

February 14, 2012 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  24. Mark

Can't you please go back to Texas and shut up? Not real smart this one.

February 14, 2012 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  25. vgk

Perry will be lucky to be re-elected in Texas. He's done....he just doesn't know it.

February 14, 2012 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |