Perry ponders another White House bid
February 14th, 2012

Perry ponders another White House bid

(CNN) – Rick Perry may "absolutely" run for president again and described the debates in the 2012 primary as good practice.

The Texas governor, who suspended his White House bid last month, also had positive memories about his presidential campaign.

Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"I tell people it was by far the most exhilarating thing that I've ever done," Perry told ABC News. "In a perfect world we would have started a lot earlier."

After an initial surge in national polling, Perry failed to gain traction and was plagued by less than stellar debate performances.

But Perry, now a Newt Gingrich backer, said the debates "have absolutely nothing to do with governing." When asked if they were good practice for 2016, Perry responded "Ya, could be."

The long serving governor also pushed back against labeling Romney the inevitable GOP nominee.

"I think this race is completely open," Perry said. "I don't think anyone's got a lock on it at this particular point in time."

Playing political adviser, Perry opined that Romney should have changed his tune on the health care plan he signed while governor of Massachusetts that resembles the current national plan.

"I'd have said listen governor, you've got to stand up in front of the American people and say that what you did on health care in Massachusetts was wrong and he never did that," Perry said.

Filed under: 2012 • 2016 • Rick Perry
  1. Sniffit

"Sniffit, your post does not disprove what I said. I made no mention of the democratic party of the 40s being the same as today. I said the platform of the democratic party of today is the same as the socialist platform of the 40s. Which if you read both, they are almost identical in meaning, though some word usage is different."

No, they truly don't...and I'd love to see you try to argue that to members of the current socialist parties in the US. They'll tell you up and down that the contemporary Dems have nothing to do with socialism and that it's an insult to their own ideology that people keep trying to confound the two simply because accusing things of being "socialism" and "communism" still play well with people who grew up in the era of the Cold War, even though they have at best an exrtemely loose and tangential relationship to what Dems are proposing. It's absurd, and your attempt to equate the two shows a very deep-seeded misunderstanding of the core concepts involved.

February 14, 2012 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  2. ingyandbert

Perry is as inarticulate as Dubya, as clueless and narcissistic as Palin, as full of hot air (or gas, your choice) as Gingrich, and as deluded as Bachmann. Give him Romney's money and he'd be the perfect right wing candidate...

February 14, 2012 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  3. Michael in Houston

ya...good luck with that

February 14, 2012 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  4. Mike Houston

Ooooops! Forgot to forget running for,,,What was it again? PRESIDENT??? President of what? Texas? Oh! OK...
    Let him try it...Can I forget he's a Texan now??...

February 14, 2012 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  5. Bubba Gump

Boy, I cannot believe this guy? America is not this stupid!

February 14, 2012 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  6. The Greedy Old PIgs declared class war on US!

And there you have Exhibit A for just how delusional the GOBP deathcult has become. As it slips further into irrelevancy with its failed policies like deregulation and tax cuts for the filthy rich, the American public becomes more and more aware just how morally and intellectually bankrupt this dangerous cult is. And rather than address the concerns of the public, like the three quarters that want a millionaire tax, the GOBP slips further into denial and instead dial up more crazy from the extreme rightwing radicals.

February 14, 2012 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  7. Taran

@anagramkid, While I agree with almost everything Truth, Four, etc post, I don't approve of any name calling by any of them, any more than I approve of it from the more left leaning posters on here.

February 14, 2012 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  8. Eric

What is the half-life of a brain cell?

Perry only has one, so his time seems to be running short.

February 14, 2012 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  9. Taran

@anagramkid, I know the difference between a quote and history. I believe the "history" quote was thrown at me in response to the same relevant quote.

February 14, 2012 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  10. Texas Voter

As a Texan, I would say: "governor Perry, first try to get re-elected here at home". After the way you (mis-)represented Texas to the nation and the world, I have a feeling that will be an insurmountable task. (look it up in-sur-mount-able. Nope, nothing to do with horses...)
    Second, your comment: "if [the debates] were good practice for 2016, Perry responded "Ya, could be."
    Wow, and wow, we are overwhelmed by your sharp analysis and your in-depth response.
    The future would be fun, if he runs his clown show again. But then, remakes and sequels are often worse than the original...

February 14, 2012 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  11. SouthTexan

Great Idea, Rick! But you better resign as Governor quickly (pleaseeee) to begin practicing for the pesky 2016 debates.
    Hopefully with 4 years to practice you will be able to remember what you strongly believe.
    I look forward to voting against you 1 more time.

February 14, 2012 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  12. CaliforniaBC

Perry needs to worry about not losing his governorship first 'cause after that poor showing in the presidential campaign the people of Texas got a real good look at the idiot who is in charge of their state.

February 14, 2012 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  13. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

Rick Perry is a total embarrassment. Not all of us here in Texas have low intelligence quotients.

February 14, 2012 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  14. carly

Perry is too stupid to realize that he is stupid.

February 14, 2012 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  15. Ken Andrews

Since Perry spent $1100 for each vote he got this time, he will have to do a lot more fund raising the next time in order to run. A civics class or two might help as well.

February 14, 2012 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  16. PJ

Rick, get over yourself. No one really cares if you come back or not. YOU ARE NOT THAT IMPORTANT

February 14, 2012 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  17. BEACHBUM3

I am personal amazed that he could evn entertain the idea of ever making a run for anything ever again for he was nothing but a bush look alike in his stupid actions although i am about to beleive that he was more interllegetal that the former president ( bush was . i personaly feel that this country would be better off not to ever even have thought of the posibility of ever eleting another BUSH TO ANY PUBLICLY HELD OFFICE OF IMPORTANCE EVER EVER EVER AGAIN. but on the other hand i must admit that slick rick was good for the nighttime comendians an thie skits but that is all that rick was good for period thank you

February 14, 2012 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  18. Texas Voter

@Snifit... lolol, thank you great definition of "Confabulation".
    Question: does this syndrome not also apply to Newt and Mitt? Just wondering.
    Nah, Ricky Santi, you're dead serious, that's why you're labeled an extremist...

February 14, 2012 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  19. v_mag

anagram_kid – If you like anagrams, here are a couple:

Newt Gingrich = Wrenching git
    Willard Romney = Normally weird

And a favorite:
    Mary Magdalene = legendary mama

February 14, 2012 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  20. The Real Tom Paine

Taran, I encourage you to speak your mind and I also encourage you not to stoop to the level of of Truth and Four, who feel that demeaning people makes their point stronger. Kudos for civility, and thank you for being a good example.

February 14, 2012 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  21. Bob

He lost because of his debating skills.. He has 4 to 8 years to practice and he better hit a home run each time or give it up.. As a conservative myself my advise to Gov. Perry is this: Just give it up please!!!

February 14, 2012 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  22. Patriot Awesome

Truth and Nothing But the Truth – If you're so against Socialism, then I guess you must also be against

1) The fire Deptartment
    2) The Police department
    3) The U.S. Military
    4) public schools
    5) roads and bridges
    6) public transportation
    7) boarder patrols
    8) The TSA

I can go on and on about socialized services that all Americans enjoy and take advantage of, but I suppose you would just privatize all those services.

I've been very surprised at your support for Mitt Romney in your posts, I would figure you for a Ron Paul man since you have a hatred for all these socialist services.

February 14, 2012 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  23. drod

Texas Democrats, yes there are Democrats in Texas, feel so embarrassed to have political figures like Bush, Perry and Delay representing us. They are the worst politicians that have come out of Texas. Republicans have a stangle hold on our state but I look forward to voting for Obama in 2012.

February 14, 2012 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  24. tino

We who live in the great state of Texas should be embarrased of having this inept buffon as governor.

February 14, 2012 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  25. MBW

What is it with people like Sarah Palin and Rick Perry? What does it take to make them realize that over is over? I guess what they don't understand is that Americans, both Republicans and Democrats, do not want a President that is as dumb as a stick. If Rick Perry makes Texas look bad, why should we allow him to make the United States look bad?

February 14, 2012 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |