Romney admits to old prank
February 16th, 2012

Romney admits to old prank

Beachwood, Ohio (CNN) – On Thursday Mitt Romney told a Cleveland-area audience a "true story" about a prank he said he had never publicly admitted to pulling.

The story involved a wedding, a woman Romney had "once spent time with," a pair of men's rented patent leather shoes, and a bottle of "shocking pink nail polish."

Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Here is the story he told at the Cuyahoga County Lincoln Day Dinner:

"You had some very beautiful young women here that I used to come try and date. I have to tell you a true story and I probably ought to just apologize for it right now. I don't think I've ever told this story in public.

“And it happened not far - you know where Elyria, Ohio is? Well, there was a young lady there who I once spent some time with, and she decided to marry a fellow. And my wife - my girlfriend then - was invited to be one of the bridesmaids.

“So I came to the wedding and it was a perfect wedding. They had little bottles of shocking pink nail polish so that everybody, all the brides had the same nail polish. And I came, and thought the wedding was a little too perfect.

“So I happened to go in the room where the groomsmen and the groom were. And I found the groom's shoes, the patent leather shoes that he had rented, and I took some of that shocking pink nail polish and I wrote something on the bottom of his shoes.

“And we went to the wedding and the minister gave a beautiful service and then he said let us pray and the couple knelt down. Now I hadn't calculated that everyone in the audience would put their head down in prayer so they couldn't see what I had written on his shoes.

“But slowly but surely people ahead of us began to shake a little bit and point up at the shoes and in bright pink letters it said H-E-L-P on the bottom of his shoes.

"I haven't seen a crowd rock like this in Ohio since then and I want to thank you for that wonderful welcome."

Also see:

Gingrich gears up to fight for delegates in Michigan

Santorum took in $3.6M in four years; highest tax rate was 28.3%

Romney defends position on Detroit bailout

Santorum to North Dakota: Terrorists 'will bother you'

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • Ohio
  1. Charlie from the North

Wow. That's it. I am abandoning the Democratic Party and I will be sending my entire refund check to Mittens because that is a guy I want to party with. Can you imagine that stuffy old adult Obama would never tell a story like that.

February 16, 2012 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  2. kate

OBAMA 2012!

February 16, 2012 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  3. Thomas

What year dose Mitt think it is , 1961.

So insulated from the reality of common man.

February 16, 2012 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  4. Kris Craig

Wow. Even this guy's pranks are boring.

February 16, 2012 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  5. rcw

That is funny

February 16, 2012 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  6. GonzoinHouston

Somehow I think he's lying. He wants to come across as a "regular guy" but he isn't. Can you really see Mitt pulling a juvenile practical joke? At a wedding? Me neither.

February 16, 2012 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  7. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

I guess that he wasn't a big believer in marriage at that point? I would believe he could have done worse growing up.

February 16, 2012 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  8. Robert O'Brien

I'd follow up on this one. Sounds fishy.

February 16, 2012 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  9. Aaron

Lots of surprises from this one...turns out to be an anchor baby and fond of ladies' nail polish.

February 16, 2012 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  10. Shelby

That IS funny!

February 17, 2012 02:01 am at 2:01 am |
  11. sick of republican phonies

Aw, how cute! He's trying to convince us that he is actually human!

February 17, 2012 07:10 am at 7:10 am |
  12. J

I thought Republicans supported marriage?

February 17, 2012 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  13. Peter

I doubt he did this. I think he saw the pictures of this prank on the internet and stole the idea to try to make him sound like a fun guy.

February 17, 2012 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  14. Indy

I have been to about 40 weddings in my life and 38 of them had grooms with the word HELP on their shoes, it is a very boring old joke and barely musters laughter. Mitts probably did this during his rebelious years, dude is so far out of touch with eveyday people he thinks this is a prank

February 17, 2012 09:51 am at 9:51 am |