February 24th, 2012

Fact-checking Gingrich's charge Obama voted in favor of 'infanticide'

Washington (CNN) - When the topic turned to contraception and reproductive rights at CNN's debate in Arizona on Wednesday, Newt Gingrich went on the attack, saying that in 2008 "not once did anybody in the elite media ask why Barack Obama voted in favor of legalizing infanticide."

It's a striking claim, and he's not the only Republican presidential candidate making it. Speaking at the Iowa Faith and Freedom Coalition Forum last March, Rick Santorum said, "any child born prematurely, according to the president, in his own words, can be killed."

FULL STORY

Filed under: Fact Check • Newt Gingrich • President Obama
  1. Republicans - "The Not Intended to Be Factually Accurate" Party

The President said no such thing. Newt Gingrich is a LIAR.

Now we can debate whether he is an intentional LIAR or not but he needs to start wearing the label of LIAR. He does not deserve the benefit of the doubt that what he says is correct or honest.

February 24, 2012 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  2. Whatever

EVERYTHING Newt says must be fact checked!!!!!

February 24, 2012 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  3. Sage Sophos

I think someone like Gingrich who have spent his whole adulthood in politics should know better! lies wont take you very far! stick with facts and the American people will respect and like you. But whom I'm I to argue with you about infanticide may be after 3-5 marriage experiences you know better!

February 24, 2012 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  4. poopmeister

Truth: I think you just hate Obama for the sake of hating Obama. I haven't heard much details within your posts to say that you "have a point" I try not to agree with everything that the Democratic party stands for and I always try to see the logic of the Republican party, it keeps me in the middle of the road....you should try it some time. Start with telling us something that Obama has done right and I will respect you enough to read what you have to say next time.

February 24, 2012 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  5. koolman

(Truth) needs a name change. Hey, I got one ...Lies and Nothing but lies. There you go, I saved you from having to think too much since I know thinking is not your strong point. Now go back to faux new for your talking points.

February 24, 2012 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  6. daris

You asked when did the republican party stopped begin a good party when bush stole the election in 2000

February 24, 2012 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  7. vote the Tea Party OUT in 2012

so a Republican tells a lie about Obama......sorry but this is NOT news.

February 24, 2012 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  8. Name: DParke

The fact my friends is that Obama did vote in favor of infanticide. Like the GOP candidates or not, none of them perpetuate killing unborn babies. I'd prefer a catholic or a Mormon any day. Both religions have reverence for life and are VERY family focused. What does Obama stand for?

February 25, 2012 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  9. ThinkAgain

@Rudy NYC: "There was already a law in Illinois protecting "born alive" abortions. The new law had one significant difference. If the doctor made the "wrong" decision, then he could be charged with murder. The definition of "wrong" was unclear, leaving doctors with only one choice but to not perform abortions, not even to save the life of a mother."

THANK YOU for your concise post! It should be mandatory reading by every reporter interviewing/questioning any of the GOP presidential candidates so they can push back with THE FACTS when (notice I didn't say "if") a Republican lies.

BTW, in this day and age of google, lexus-nexus and 24/7 Internet access, why haven't the debate moderators been fact-checking the candidates in real time? I would love to see this happen – if for nothing other that watching the comedy that would ensue as they all tripped over themselves trying to deny something they'd said two seconds ago.

February 25, 2012 02:17 am at 2:17 am |
  10. Namejkane fl

Nuclear always attacks the media if he doesn't like the question and never answers it. Must have learned that in debate class. Obama landslide coming in Nov.

February 25, 2012 08:43 am at 8:43 am |