Maher puts one-million dollars behind pro-Obama Super PAC
February 24th, 2012

Maher puts one-million dollars behind pro-Obama Super PAC

Washington (CNN) - Comedian Bill Maher is putting his money where his mouth is.

The comedian and talk show host who has long railed on the weakness of the Republican presidential field announced at a stand up comedy show on Thursday that he would donate $1 million to Priorities USA Action, a pro-Obama Super PAC.

“My surprise tonight is I would like to tonight announce a donation to the Obama Super PAC—which has the very unfortunate tongue-twister name ‘Priority (sic) USA Action’,” Maher said. “I know, it was named by Borat. But tonight I would like to give that PAC one million dollars.”

The concert, which was live streamed on Yahoo!, was held in San Jose, California and was billed by Yahoo! as the first stand-up comedy concert to be streamed live online.

In a tweet after the event, Maher said the announcement was a surprise to the Yahoo! organizers.

“Thank u everybody who's hit me up after the show, and a great San Jose audience. Obama donation was a surprise to Yahoo too fyi!”

Maher, whose comedy show is called “CrazyStupidPolitics,” has not been shy about his opinions of the 2012 race and when he spoke with CNN's Anderson Cooper, he said that other than Ron Paul, the Republican candidates running for president have “horrible society killing ideas about America.”

“The rest of those people are, of course, selling their souls to the corporate interests who back them,” Maher said. “They all act like god created the world in January of 2009, and then Barack Obama completely screwed it up.”

When asked in the same interview who he thought was going to win the 2012 election, Maher quickly tapped the president as the eventual winner.

“My money is still on Mitt Romney,” said Maher when asked who the eventual Republican nominee. “And I think he’s going to get the nomination, and then I think Obama is going to beat him like a runaway sister wife, yes, I do.”

Maher’s million dollar donation will substantially boost the coffers of the Super PAC which raised only $58,815.83 in January, according to a report filed earlier in the week with the Federal Election Commission.

– CNN’s Matthew Carey contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Bill Maher • President Obama
  1. Vanessa

Great news! Everything we can help, with small or big donations, everything counts. Let's all work together to help reelect president Obama! We need him to represent us, the less fortunate, middle class, hispanics, latinos, blacks, old, young.. pretty much everybody! 4 more years! Obama all the way! Si se puede!

February 24, 2012 04:08 am at 4:08 am |
  2. mike

i agree Willard is damaged goods and can never decide what side of the fence he should be on from day to the next!

February 24, 2012 04:09 am at 4:09 am |
  3. Vanessa

& thank you Mr Maher!

February 24, 2012 04:10 am at 4:10 am |
  4. Lynda

I don't like Maher but that comment “And I think he’s going to get the nomination, and then I think Obama is going to beat him like a runaway sister wife, yes, I do.” That left me ROFL.

February 24, 2012 04:12 am at 4:12 am |
  5. Chris

“The rest of those people are, of course, selling their souls to the corporate interests who back them,” Maher said.... Unlike the President of course...I mean he didn't sell out to the environmentalist (Oh wait Keystone.) or the UAW (Oh wait bailouts)..or unions in general (or wait killing the Boeing plant)..Its not like he allowed millions of dollars to go to companies whose board members and CEO's gave generously to his campaign in 08 (solyndra and other "green" energy initiatives). I mean you don't see the President and First Lady going around the country and holding campaign dinners charging $2500 a plate...because of course a democrat would never do such things

February 24, 2012 04:36 am at 4:36 am |
  6. Namejohnnyc

I totally agree,hey you GOP folks remember haters can't beat Lovers

February 24, 2012 04:55 am at 4:55 am |
  7. Marry

Great, Sir!!! I will contribute also to the President’s re-election campaign – but I am not among the 1%. So, it will, not be nearly as much!
    Hopefully, this election will show the absurdity of the money flow after this ridiculous decision of the Supreme Court and will start a COMPLEATE overhaul of the election process!

February 24, 2012 05:11 am at 5:11 am |
  8. Rudy NYC

What a guy. He put up, which will do anything but make his critics shut up.

February 24, 2012 05:43 am at 5:43 am |
  9. Scott

What an idiot. If this is the best Obama can do for support, he will not be reelected

February 24, 2012 05:49 am at 5:49 am |
  10. Zeman

Maher you are great you really understand this bull head milliner GOP

February 24, 2012 06:03 am at 6:03 am |
  11. Sage Sophos

Comedy or reality

February 24, 2012 06:04 am at 6:04 am |
  12. Marie MD

It's funny how a lot of what should be REAL news is "reported" by Bill Maher and the Daily Show.
    Good for Bill.

February 24, 2012 06:20 am at 6:20 am |
  13. jimbo

with this lame comedian to support him, Obama simply can not lose.

February 24, 2012 06:20 am at 6:20 am |
  14. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Well done, Mr. Maher! This means that the Kochs and the turd blossom Rove will have to come up with more money to help Mittens.

February 24, 2012 06:32 am at 6:32 am |
  15. Little Jimmy Truth

Good luck for filing bankrupt.

February 24, 2012 06:34 am at 6:34 am |
  16. yolanda

This is news? Maher has always been a toad for the Democrats.

February 24, 2012 07:13 am at 7:13 am |
  17. Tony in Maine

But, but, but, it's only free speech if Prince Antonin approves of it.

February 24, 2012 07:13 am at 7:13 am |
  18. T'sah From Virginia

►Maher puts one-million dollars behind pro-Obama Super PAC◄
    Add my $20 and it won't even be enough for a "snack"
    But, hey, it does not matter, we have to stay in the game
    And no one needs to fret because at least we know the donor's name!!

Obama 2012 – Just Because...

February 24, 2012 07:21 am at 7:21 am |
  19. Franny

What I really like about Maher? Is his astute outlook at what Religion is doing to this Country. We should not be as afraid of the Government as we are Religion. To see the whole picture, and realize we're heading towards a thocracy is truly terrifying. Keep up the good work, and go President Obama. You've got my support.

February 24, 2012 07:24 am at 7:24 am |
  20. Franny

THEOCRACY! God help us! LOL!

February 24, 2012 07:25 am at 7:25 am |
  21. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

It isn't a huge surprise that Maher is backing Obama. I guess that I am a little surprised that he is giving money to the super PAC.

February 24, 2012 07:26 am at 7:26 am |
  22. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Love you Bill, and looove your show!
    Obama 2012, all the way baby!!!

February 24, 2012 07:39 am at 7:39 am |
  23. Anonymous

NIce move, Bill, though it's a drop in the bucket. The Koch brothers and Rmoney can find a million bucks just lookingunder their seat cushions.

February 24, 2012 07:42 am at 7:42 am |
  24. chuck

Good job Bill...people can contribute too..what a concept..oh i forgot ..corporations are people.. f the GOP

February 24, 2012 07:48 am at 7:48 am |