Maher puts one-million dollars behind pro-Obama Super PAC
February 24th, 2012

Maher puts one-million dollars behind pro-Obama Super PAC

Washington (CNN) - Comedian Bill Maher is putting his money where his mouth is.

The comedian and talk show host who has long railed on the weakness of the Republican presidential field announced at a stand up comedy show on Thursday that he would donate $1 million to Priorities USA Action, a pro-Obama Super PAC.

“My surprise tonight is I would like to tonight announce a donation to the Obama Super PAC—which has the very unfortunate tongue-twister name ‘Priority (sic) USA Action’,” Maher said. “I know, it was named by Borat. But tonight I would like to give that PAC one million dollars.”

The concert, which was live streamed on Yahoo!, was held in San Jose, California and was billed by Yahoo! as the first stand-up comedy concert to be streamed live online.

In a tweet after the event, Maher said the announcement was a surprise to the Yahoo! organizers.

“Thank u everybody who's hit me up after the show, and a great San Jose audience. Obama donation was a surprise to Yahoo too fyi!”

Maher, whose comedy show is called “CrazyStupidPolitics,” has not been shy about his opinions of the 2012 race and when he spoke with CNN's Anderson Cooper, he said that other than Ron Paul, the Republican candidates running for president have “horrible society killing ideas about America.”

“The rest of those people are, of course, selling their souls to the corporate interests who back them,” Maher said. “They all act like god created the world in January of 2009, and then Barack Obama completely screwed it up.”

When asked in the same interview who he thought was going to win the 2012 election, Maher quickly tapped the president as the eventual winner.

“My money is still on Mitt Romney,” said Maher when asked who the eventual Republican nominee. “And I think he’s going to get the nomination, and then I think Obama is going to beat him like a runaway sister wife, yes, I do.”

Maher’s million dollar donation will substantially boost the coffers of the Super PAC which raised only $58,815.83 in January, according to a report filed earlier in the week with the Federal Election Commission.

– CNN’s Matthew Carey contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Bill Maher • President Obama
  1. nolimits3333

Go Bill!

Go Obama!

Things go better without Koch!

February 24, 2012 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  2. part of the 99%

maher is a know nothing holier than thou eletist who cannot string two coherent sentences together on any serious topic - he is an un funny clown.

Bill we do not care what you say or think

Obama is toast – he has driven this country down – made us weaker – cost us trillions – and weakend national security - It is time for a real leader to take over from the Present-Voting community disorganizer

February 24, 2012 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  3. mrskool

Good Move Bill – every little bit counts.

I admire Bill for his quick wit and sharp intelligence ... but i wonder how he can smoke weed and be smart too ?? ;)

February 24, 2012 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  4. The Real Tom Paine

Apparently, DC, you care enough to post here.

February 24, 2012 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  5. Charlie from the North

I tell you what pal: If you can help get my President reelected and help elect a "Do something, know something Congress" I will forgive you for being a Yankee's fan. Some things(though surprisingly few are more important than baseball). Any way thanks for supporting a great cause.

February 24, 2012 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  6. DaveinSC

Well, it's not the Koch Bros. 60 million, but Bill's open about it, unlike the Koch Bros. who operate in the dark.

February 24, 2012 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  7. Mike S.

Watch out Bill! The right wing whack jobs will be out in force now, and Sarah Palin might put you on her 'cross-hairs' list.
    There's nothing more dangerous than a mob of angry white compassionate conservative christians.

February 24, 2012 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  8. Investment Advisor

@Shelle- I get the feeling your black? Just a guess mind you. I really disagree with the Joe Biden comment and the continued perpetuation of racists in the Teaparty. Why not hang your hat on something that can be substantiated?

February 24, 2012 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  9. yogi

@ Truth....You better keep watching Fox "news", and stay uninformed. Your comments are so idiotic and only show how hateful you are, and in addition you don't have a very good sense of humor either.
    Obama 2012!

February 24, 2012 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  10. JohnW

@oneeyeopen – Newt says $2.50 gas and you believe him and will vote for him, even though any economist will tell you his plan is entirely unfeasible? You, sir/madam, are part of the problem.

February 24, 2012 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  11. The King

"Obama is toast – he has driven this country down – made us weaker – cost us trillions – and weakend national security – It is time for a real leader to take over from the Present-Voting community disorganizer"
    I love the perspective from the alternative reality inside the delusional right wing bubble. Equal parts comedy and pathetic.

February 24, 2012 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  12. Scott

Bad move, Mahar. You're funny, but not likeable. Most of America doesn't associate your venomous humor with presidential material, and this will taint Obama with the worst of Hollywood elitism. Hey, I'm not slamming you; I've been far too public about my opinions to ever run for office, either. :-) Contribute anonymously! I did!

February 24, 2012 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  13. Jeff from Columbus

Maher is to the left as Coulter is to the right. An intelligent, articulate person who is just a jerk of a human being, extremely mean-spirited and to the far end of the political spectrum.

Both of them are the most to blame for how low our political discourse has become. They both need to go far, far away.

February 24, 2012 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  14. Martin

Maher has been a fairly outspoken critic of Obama in the last couple of years as it looked like things weren't moving.

Things are starting to move in the right direction again. Well done, Mr Maher. I continue to be an admirer.

February 24, 2012 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  15. Tony in Maine

Somebody left the HaHa Hotel gate open. The rightwingnut jobs are loose

February 24, 2012 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  16. Charlie from the North

Oh and here is another sports question to consider. Those who say Obama is a hypocrite should consider this question:I The NFL suddenly decided that you could have 15 players on the field at once and you teams coach thought that was a horrible idea would you be happy if he decided to field only 11 players in protest of the stupid new rule? I didn't think so. I want a President who is at least as smart as an NFL coach. Yes I know the GOP will settle for one a smart as an NFL goalpost. Because they already have.

February 24, 2012 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  17. PTNY

Very cool.

February 24, 2012 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  18. RS, CA

What a sad day for this great country, when it can be sold to the highest (idiot) bidders - ultra Liberal idiots who have absolutely NO idea what a good thing they have here - and will NEVER EVER have again if Obama gets a second term!

February 24, 2012 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  19. DENNA

@Investment Advisor – Nothing is free. If you actually worked, you would know that. I would rather see my tax dollars go to a single mom than to pay those overfed GOP congressmen and senators. I love that they caved and signed the tax bill that would actually help the middle class. Perhaps the GOP is not as stupid as it appears.

February 24, 2012 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  20. Saboth

I could never do that. Just seems like a waste of money. It's like paying a million dollars to train a thoroughbred horse for the Kentucky Derby, but the rest of the entrants are donkeys.

February 24, 2012 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  21. Truth and Nothing But the Truth

If Bill Maher believes in Obama why doesn't him give him ALL his money??!! Go for it Bill! Learn to live like the rest of us for a little while until you rake in millions more under a system you constantly berate but that keeps you rolling in money and drugs. Yeah, the only stupidity in America exists in themorons that fund losers like Bill Maher.

February 24, 2012 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  22. Steve

Bill Mahr is an ignorant,pompass fool, (the fool has said in his heart there is no God). If he really wants to make a difference, take that million dollars and give it to the poor, the hungry and those in need of housing. After all – if he can donate a million dollars, he is one of those that should pay more in taxes for the previledge of being an american. Is that arabic on his shirt?? Quite the "american"

February 24, 2012 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  23. Real77

Mr. Maher is a bigot

February 24, 2012 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  24. Investment Advisor

@ Charlie from the North- Sorry Charlie, I think your brain must be frozen from those awful winters up there...What the hell are you talking about?

February 24, 2012 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  25. PTNY

To RS, CA, Thing is, we DO know what a good thing we have in our President. That's why we're keeping him!

February 24, 2012 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |