Maher puts one-million dollars behind pro-Obama Super PAC
February 24th, 2012

Maher puts one-million dollars behind pro-Obama Super PAC

Washington (CNN) - Comedian Bill Maher is putting his money where his mouth is.

The comedian and talk show host who has long railed on the weakness of the Republican presidential field announced at a stand up comedy show on Thursday that he would donate $1 million to Priorities USA Action, a pro-Obama Super PAC.

“My surprise tonight is I would like to tonight announce a donation to the Obama Super PAC—which has the very unfortunate tongue-twister name ‘Priority (sic) USA Action’,” Maher said. “I know, it was named by Borat. But tonight I would like to give that PAC one million dollars.”

The concert, which was live streamed on Yahoo!, was held in San Jose, California and was billed by Yahoo! as the first stand-up comedy concert to be streamed live online.

In a tweet after the event, Maher said the announcement was a surprise to the Yahoo! organizers.

“Thank u everybody who's hit me up after the show, and a great San Jose audience. Obama donation was a surprise to Yahoo too fyi!”

Maher, whose comedy show is called “CrazyStupidPolitics,” has not been shy about his opinions of the 2012 race and when he spoke with CNN's Anderson Cooper, he said that other than Ron Paul, the Republican candidates running for president have “horrible society killing ideas about America.”

“The rest of those people are, of course, selling their souls to the corporate interests who back them,” Maher said. “They all act like god created the world in January of 2009, and then Barack Obama completely screwed it up.”

When asked in the same interview who he thought was going to win the 2012 election, Maher quickly tapped the president as the eventual winner.

“My money is still on Mitt Romney,” said Maher when asked who the eventual Republican nominee. “And I think he’s going to get the nomination, and then I think Obama is going to beat him like a runaway sister wife, yes, I do.”

Maher’s million dollar donation will substantially boost the coffers of the Super PAC which raised only $58,815.83 in January, according to a report filed earlier in the week with the Federal Election Commission.

– CNN’s Matthew Carey contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Bill Maher • President Obama
  1. Ethel Cunningham

Bill, you are so cool. Ignore the idiot posters...."they know not what they do!" Hahahhaha We love you & watch Real Time religiously! God, I'm hilarious......another one! You speak the TRUTH and half of America can't handle it! Thanks for all you do.

February 24, 2012 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  2. Obama's Snake Oil on Sale - Git yur lies and deceit here!!

Bill my man I LOVE you!! One million smackers will buy a BOATLOAD of smoke and mirrors that I can use over the next few months! I'll be able to turn record unemployment into contraception! I'll be able to turn record deficits into "it was me that done that"!! I'll be able to spread around some walking around money and git me some illegals to push me over the top. The thank you card is in the mail bro. I knew I could count on the dope head wing of the party to chip in.

February 24, 2012 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  3. Ben

Peggy – "I love Bill Maher. He is everything the Republican candidates are not, brilliant, informed and current. I am always impressed by his depth and intellect."

Are you on drugs? Seriously...

February 24, 2012 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  4. Atul Chaudhary

This is one reason I would want Obama to loose. I hate this guy. I can't understand how his show is still running. More comment on this once Obama looses the election.

February 24, 2012 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  5. Investment Advisor

February 24, 2012 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  6. Jordu

To those who claim that Maher is filled with hate, yes, he is. He hates bigotry, mendacity, gluttony, hypocrisy, pandering, ignorance, and self-serving politicians. So, you see, there is a lot for him to hate, and much of it resides among those who consider themselves Republicans or Tea Baggers, or evangelicals.

February 24, 2012 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  7. Stella

Thank you, Bill, for putting your money where your mouth is, and supporting Obama. You're the best ! If others in the 1% (Hollywood, business, etc.) would follow-suit, it would be wonderful. The Republicans are no longer just good for a laugh (although they still are), they are down-right dangerous. Thanks !

February 24, 2012 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  8. Marie

GREAT JOB BILL!! You inspire us to do the same. OBAMA 2012!!

February 24, 2012 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  9. Investment Advisor

@Denna- Calm down...your pretty thin skinned. I don't think Truth insiuated that YOU didn't work....chill! You did however insinuate That I need to actually get a job. I have been working since I was 10 years old and am now 52. Always paid MY way with no assistance AND for the last 28 years have guided people with their investments so they don't and won't have to rely on the government to live when they retire. I accept your reluctant apology!

February 24, 2012 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  10. Christopher

To be truthful he just likes sleeping with Ariana. She put him up to this I'm sure.

February 24, 2012 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  11. John

Although I am a life-long Democrat and a Obama supporter, I still believe that no one individual should be able to contribute thist much money to any presidential candidate. The super PACs are just a dodge to allow the 1% to try to "buy" their favorite candidates and subvert what is supposed to be a democratic process.

We need to have public financing of campaigns and reimpose strict limits on individual contributions. That will be tougher then it should be because of the bought-and-paid for conservatives on the Supreme Court, but it has to be done or the corporate interests are going to completely take over.

February 24, 2012 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  12. Santex

I wonder, would he take the same positions for free rather than being paid his millions by the greedy corporate media moguls? Or are those greedy corporate moguls O.K. because they pay him? Desperately difficult to be as consistent as I want others to be!

February 24, 2012 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  13. JR Ewing

Bill is wearing a 10 gallon hat and has the cattle. That's why I tune-in the Bill on HBO

February 24, 2012 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  14. jim

Who cares what he think or says. Remember he makes his living belittling people. Is this the best he can do to make money and add to society. Jerk.

February 24, 2012 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  15. Martin

Anyone who thinks Abraham Lincoln was a great President is listening to the propaganda of the victors.

Lincoln was a TERRIBLE President. He racked up massive debt just after previous administrations had practically cleared the entire national debt, he only freed the slaves because it was a good way to provide troops for the Union Army. He provided more US Gov't money to the bankers (due to financing of his greenbacks idea) than any other President before George W Bush.

He also suspended national courts and habaeus corpus during the war, and held American citizens without charge or trial indefinitely.

I'm in no way a supporter of the Confederate States, but given what he was doing to America at the time, the Civil War was over a LOT more than slavery. The victors write history – if you investigate what went on during the Lincoln Presidency you would question the placement of his statue and would question why he is so revered.

Any politician who says that Lincoln is their favorite President should be run out of town.

February 24, 2012 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  16. Charlie from the North

Now hear is a very generous comedian. Not only is he giving a million bucks to see a great President reelected but if he is successful in getting Obama reelected he is sacrificing all of the potential jokes that he could make about a President Sanatorium, Romney, Gingrich or Paul.

Very generous indeed.

February 24, 2012 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  17. Linda R

I respect Mahar more now than ever for his opinions and wit. Like him, Obama isn't perfect, has done things I don't like either, and sometimes I shake my head while he hesitates, but you better believe not one "PUB" running would even begin to be an ouce better in the "hotseat" where the BS stops and reality starts!

I also will put my money where my mouth is and donate to help beat these "yoyo s" that are in the circus ring today for the job.

Hooray Bill! Great job and thank you!

Clap clap clap.........

February 24, 2012 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  18. Truth and Nothing But the Truth

Investment Advisor - @ Truth and Nothing But the Truth- Thanks for the back up. That last blog she lobbed at me really knocked me off my feet!!! As an aside, isn't it fun to fight this battle in the enemys territory....it drives them nuts!
    =============================================================================================
    Driving isn't necessary with most of the brainless liberals on this board! They arrive here nuts. This board is proof positive half this country is brain dead and it appears to be contagious. Reality and facts play no role in their life. Their kool-aide has been spiked to all time highs it seems.

February 24, 2012 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  19. Bill

I'm so old that I remember when Maher used to actually be funny.

February 24, 2012 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  20. Rick in Az

Ben

Denina – "Perhaps the GOP is not as stupid as it appears."

You certainly are.

And you wonder why we Indepnedents refuse to become either a democrat or republican and are pretty much disgusted with the lot of you.

February 24, 2012 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  21. Taran

@Truth and Nothing but the truth and Investment Advisor, I heard a saying once that as I've grown older seems to be pretty true. "If you are young and not a liberal, you are heartless. Once you mature, if you are not a conservative, you are brainless."

February 24, 2012 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  22. Nova703

Have you noticed how Ron Paul is now Mitt's wing man? He cut a deal with Mitt to beat up on Santorum in exchange for making Rand Paul his VP choice. Just another GOP sell out.

February 24, 2012 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  23. BK

If I had a million dollars, I would be using it to leave the US.
    Still, good job having better priorities than me, Maher!

February 24, 2012 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  24. NVa Native

He's the Dem's O'Reily- but with a brain.

February 24, 2012 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  25. Tom

Okay, it's time I sent in my $25.00 to help President Barack Obama!

February 24, 2012 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |