Maher puts one-million dollars behind pro-Obama Super PAC
February 24th, 2012

Maher puts one-million dollars behind pro-Obama Super PAC

Washington (CNN) - Comedian Bill Maher is putting his money where his mouth is.

The comedian and talk show host who has long railed on the weakness of the Republican presidential field announced at a stand up comedy show on Thursday that he would donate $1 million to Priorities USA Action, a pro-Obama Super PAC.

“My surprise tonight is I would like to tonight announce a donation to the Obama Super PAC—which has the very unfortunate tongue-twister name ‘Priority (sic) USA Action’,” Maher said. “I know, it was named by Borat. But tonight I would like to give that PAC one million dollars.”

The concert, which was live streamed on Yahoo!, was held in San Jose, California and was billed by Yahoo! as the first stand-up comedy concert to be streamed live online.

In a tweet after the event, Maher said the announcement was a surprise to the Yahoo! organizers.

“Thank u everybody who's hit me up after the show, and a great San Jose audience. Obama donation was a surprise to Yahoo too fyi!”

Maher, whose comedy show is called “CrazyStupidPolitics,” has not been shy about his opinions of the 2012 race and when he spoke with CNN's Anderson Cooper, he said that other than Ron Paul, the Republican candidates running for president have “horrible society killing ideas about America.”

“The rest of those people are, of course, selling their souls to the corporate interests who back them,” Maher said. “They all act like god created the world in January of 2009, and then Barack Obama completely screwed it up.”

When asked in the same interview who he thought was going to win the 2012 election, Maher quickly tapped the president as the eventual winner.

“My money is still on Mitt Romney,” said Maher when asked who the eventual Republican nominee. “And I think he’s going to get the nomination, and then I think Obama is going to beat him like a runaway sister wife, yes, I do.”

Maher’s million dollar donation will substantially boost the coffers of the Super PAC which raised only $58,815.83 in January, according to a report filed earlier in the week with the Federal Election Commission.

– CNN’s Matthew Carey contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Bill Maher • President Obama
  1. JamesDean

No one listens to this old bag of wind.....he's a comdian....and a lib tard. Great combo....Go away.

February 24, 2012 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  2. NVa Native

Investment Advisor
    @Denna- Calm down...your pretty thin skinned. I don't think Truth insiuated that YOU didn't work....chill! You did howeve
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Truthiness Guy and all the other rightist hacks not only insiuates all kinds BS blended with outrageous insults and right wing lies. He should be dropped into Somalia where his non-governement preference would lead him to what he so derserves – experiancing natural selection.

February 24, 2012 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  3. Dan Bowen

Coming from the guy who has thrown one temper tantrum after another about the super pac's and the gazillionairs supporting the republicans. Bill Maher is as big a hypocrite as exists anywhere on the right...but of course, because he's supporting Obama he'll get a pass...after all, he's just helping the country from those morons on the right. What a joke.

February 24, 2012 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  4. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Linda R

I respect Mahar more now than ever for his opinions and wit. Like him, Obama isn't perfect, has done things I don't like either, and sometimes I shake my head while he hesitates, but you better believe not one "PUB" running would even begin to be an ouce better in the "hotseat" where the BS stops and reality starts
    ------------------------
    In complete agreeement with you Linda.

February 24, 2012 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  5. Rick in Az

@Taran
    To bad you don't see things through the eyes of an Independent. Cause in our eys, liberal or conservative we pretty much see you as sheep lol.......

February 24, 2012 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  6. Thomas

He makes that kinda money ?

He's not that funny

February 24, 2012 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  7. camper

Maher, please do the right thing, and just evaporate.

February 24, 2012 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  8. LacrosseMom(real one)

THANK YOU, BILL MAHER!!!

An Independent for OBAMA

February 24, 2012 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  9. tor5

I’m not always crazy about Maher, but he’s right about this. Republicans want us to forget about the train wreck Obama inherited, and incredibly they want to bring back the exact same policies. They must be stopped.

February 24, 2012 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  10. Randy, San Francisco

Thank you, Bill Maher. President Obama needs money to offset the obscene donations given to GOP/Tea party PACs by the 1% haves Wall Streeters.

February 24, 2012 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  11. NVa Native

Well said DENNA.
    But these little boys of the right wing bleaters don't care about facts. Apparently they still hold onto being picked on as the winkies in school and now feel "tough" hidding behind "strong" words. Probably they're the ones who sit in the left lane doing 55 on a highway and then blast through your neighborhood doing 15-20 miles over the speed limit because their speeding to their job (probably govt workers too).
    And Bill Maher makes fun of them every chance he gets – because they earned it.

February 24, 2012 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  12. jo an

Hey maybe this is the STIMULUS.....All the !% giving one million to their candidate...Go Maher....Get other SUPER PAC...let's have conventions, sell tee shirts...photo ops...let the party begin...

February 24, 2012 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  13. jo an

I am OLD and LIBERAL...great fun.....BRAINLESS....YEA!!!

February 24, 2012 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  14. Investment Advisor

@Taran- Yes, I've heard that an a few variations of that. I believe it to be true. But I also know that I give a lot to various needy charities (without regard to the tax benefits. Figured I better qualify that before these libs jump on that bandwagon) I just bet one would be hard pressed to find many liberals on this blog that do that. You see, the mentality is that that is what government and taxes are for. We do not become "heartless" as we get older . Wouldn't it have been nice if Maher would have contributed that$1,000,000.00 to a charitable cause? Even though I'm a conservative, I sure would have chosen that path rather than give it to the political process.

February 24, 2012 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  15. Dominican mama 4 Obama

@ Shelle: Actually babe Sniffit DID NOT say that whole spiel about healthcare. He was quoting someone else's post. His response was below. Additionally don't let folks "shame" you into silence by saying that "they resent" anything you say. That's their way of shutting you down. I resent the fact that he assumed that "your" Black ( they should learn to spell if they are going to insult). What was up with that?! lol!

February 24, 2012 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  16. lovely

Bill is awesome. Religious idiots hate him, because he calls them out on their ridiculous idiology.

February 24, 2012 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  17. Cati

Isn't it amaziing when a comedian, be they Jon Stewart, Bill Maher or Stephen Colbert, makes more sense than some people running for a party nomination - right now!!!!

February 24, 2012 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  18. Dominican mama 4 Obama

305.Rick in Az

@Taran
    ------------------------
    In the words of our diridi: True, true, and true!

February 24, 2012 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  19. Karina

And you wonder why your country is in such a mess , a comedian supporting a joker and that makes news and impress.
    These amounts of money are obscene , candidates should be able to run on their own merits.

February 24, 2012 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  20. lovely

@camper

Could you take your own advice and do the right thing?
    Maybe then, you'll be a happy camper, as opposed to the dumbazz you are!

February 24, 2012 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  21. Dominican mama 4 Obama

@ DENNA: You go girl! Straight up NO chaser!
    @ Lilli: I've tried to thank you for your post several times. I hope this one gets through!

February 24, 2012 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  22. yuri Pelham

Obama won't need any more money. The Republican did his work for him. He's a given. What we need is a congress that more than 9% approve

February 24, 2012 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  23. StormeeATL

Funny how brainWASHED people like Truth and Nothing But the Truth point fingers at liberals when the only "facts" you ever see them post on boards come from the propaganda ministry of Goebels – sorry, I mean Limbaugh, Beck, etc. Notice how they never back up anything like their arguments against climate change or how the job creators create jobs with facts? All they have is the same tired rhetoric, but go figure, if you repeat commands to dogs often enough they will obey as well. And the Limbaugh leash is pretty tight on these idiots

February 24, 2012 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  24. lovely

Ohh! Boo hoo hoo! bill doesn't believe in the BS of the bible! How can we control anyone if they dont believe, in fables and fairy tales! Boo hoo hoo! U people crack me up! Let people believe what they want to believe or not believe. It doesn't effect your faith just because everyone doesn't believe like you do... And if it does, well then you didnt really have any faith to begin with! OBAMA! 2012

February 24, 2012 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  25. Gemini Girl

Good for you, Bill! I don't think that money is tax-deductible. I received a call from a superPAC supporting the president (I gave $) and they told me more than once that any donation is not tax-deductible. I hope the Maher publicity gets more people to donate! We cannot let any crazy Repub anywhere near the White House this time around! Perhaps in 2016 (Jon Huntsmann?)

February 24, 2012 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |