Maher puts one-million dollars behind pro-Obama Super PAC
February 24th, 2012

Maher puts one-million dollars behind pro-Obama Super PAC

Washington (CNN) - Comedian Bill Maher is putting his money where his mouth is.

The comedian and talk show host who has long railed on the weakness of the Republican presidential field announced at a stand up comedy show on Thursday that he would donate $1 million to Priorities USA Action, a pro-Obama Super PAC.

“My surprise tonight is I would like to tonight announce a donation to the Obama Super PAC—which has the very unfortunate tongue-twister name ‘Priority (sic) USA Action’,” Maher said. “I know, it was named by Borat. But tonight I would like to give that PAC one million dollars.”

The concert, which was live streamed on Yahoo!, was held in San Jose, California and was billed by Yahoo! as the first stand-up comedy concert to be streamed live online.

In a tweet after the event, Maher said the announcement was a surprise to the Yahoo! organizers.

“Thank u everybody who's hit me up after the show, and a great San Jose audience. Obama donation was a surprise to Yahoo too fyi!”

Maher, whose comedy show is called “CrazyStupidPolitics,” has not been shy about his opinions of the 2012 race and when he spoke with CNN's Anderson Cooper, he said that other than Ron Paul, the Republican candidates running for president have “horrible society killing ideas about America.”

“The rest of those people are, of course, selling their souls to the corporate interests who back them,” Maher said. “They all act like god created the world in January of 2009, and then Barack Obama completely screwed it up.”

When asked in the same interview who he thought was going to win the 2012 election, Maher quickly tapped the president as the eventual winner.

“My money is still on Mitt Romney,” said Maher when asked who the eventual Republican nominee. “And I think he’s going to get the nomination, and then I think Obama is going to beat him like a runaway sister wife, yes, I do.”

Maher’s million dollar donation will substantially boost the coffers of the Super PAC which raised only $58,815.83 in January, according to a report filed earlier in the week with the Federal Election Commission.

– CNN’s Matthew Carey contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Bill Maher • President Obama
  1. Good

Thank Bill this is good. I admit I'm not your biggest fan and frankly not Obama's biggest fan but the GOP candidates are scary. Romney might be okay or at least not cause to much damage but Ayatollah Santorum is scary as hecht. I will be contributing to Obama the amount will be dependent on how much I want to defeat the other guy, if Santorum I'll give max and give extra to a pro Obama pac. I am a patriotic America, I go hunting once in a while, I like muscle cars, I support death penalty (if 100% proven guilty) and I am pro choice and never thought I would have to say this but pro legal contraceptives. I will not live under a "Christian" Taliban no way no how.

February 24, 2012 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  2. Truth and Nothing But the Truth

Taran - @Truth and Nothing but the truth and Investment Advisor, I heard a saying once that as I've grown older seems to be pretty true. "If you are young and not a liberal, you are heartless. Once you mature, if you are not a conservative, you are brainless."
    ============================================================================================
    Truer words were never spoken. But I learned very early in life if you wanted something you WORKED to get it. It wasn't somebody elses responsibility to give it to me or a government job to give it to me, at somebody elses expense. I'm stubbornly independent and reject the notion it is government's role to cure all of society's ills.

I don't need or want the government forcing me to pay into a failed and bankrupt retirement system run by corrupt politicans. Now we have Obama using these forced retirement contributions as bribe money for votes or to try and aid in his re-election by propping up an economy he has helped destroy and sabotage for 4 years.

Lefitst have spread too much of their socialist poison into our once very well run government. The government that used to be there to provide basic services and defend the country now feels it has the right to tell me what my healthcare system should be. Now the government under Obama has even trampled religious freedoms. It is clear there will be no end to their constant takeover of our lives unless we stop the leftists in 2012.

February 24, 2012 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  3. Mark Taylor

An extremist left-winger complaining about extremist right-wingers. One is as bad as the other.

February 24, 2012 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  4. alyarby

So Maher is "putting his money where his mouth is," eh? Well, I wish he would put SOMETHING where his mouth is, because I'm sick of his running it. And I sure as shootin think he ought to pay his 40% on that $1 million, like a good little tax-paying (yeah, right) Democrat.

February 24, 2012 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  5. Investment Advisor

@NVa Native- Don't know what dream you just woke up from but anger doesn't suit you well. Go back and read the blogs so you can catch up. Over and out for today.

February 24, 2012 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  6. lovely

And to those complaining that Obama is the reason for unemployment.. Stop it already. Everyone is aware that the country had a surplus will bush took office. But before he left, he managed to get us into 2 wars, the highest national debt we've seen in decades. Unemployment was higher than it is right now. But even with the facts in your face, you still dont want Obama as your president. He lowered your taxes. Didn't give the banks or auto industry, unconditional hand outs like GWBush did. What he did was provided support with payback stipulations, which is the responsible thing to do. You have no legitimate disagreement. So why is it, that you dont like Obama?

February 24, 2012 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  7. RepublicanTerminator

It's time to get rid of the RePublican party once and for all.
    when they lose this election and the next one in 2016 becuase they only ONLY cater to the rich, woops I mean the NON job creators maybe they will realize that the majority of America just don't like them.....Bush did us a huge favor and killed the Republican Party with his dumn cowboy a$$....Thanks little Bush! Thats the best thing you've done for this country. "Internets" hahaha gotta love that idiot!

February 24, 2012 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  8. Latesha Brown

Time to BOYCOTT HBO and impact the LIBERAL Bill Maher.

February 24, 2012 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  9. i want to contribute too

Bill Maher serves on the board of PETA.
    He supports gay marriage and was against California’s Proposition 8 in 2008.
    Maher describes himself as an environmentalist, and he frequently alludes to the topic of global warming on his show Real Time.
    Bill has donated an item to be auction off for Save the Chimps

So is the last one the Obama SuperPAC?? Just askin....

February 24, 2012 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  10. Bill is an idiot...

Easy for him to do when he is a lousy comedian who shepherds the liberal idiots and makes over 5 million a year. He gives nothing to churches or worthy organizations providing relief, so it's easy for this atheist to toss out a million to re-elect another loser.

February 24, 2012 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  11. reza99

1 Million dollars to a guy who thinks it's okay to detain American citizens indefinitely without due process.

February 24, 2012 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  12. silliness

The super rich helping each other out again. Money drives everything.

February 24, 2012 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  13. Just for the record

Ahhhh...the 1% ...he speaketh with his money and buys what the other 99% of us cannot.

February 24, 2012 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  14. RepublicanTerminator

@ Truth, how is Obama impossing on your religious freedoms....one example!...If anything the republicans are the ones impossing on our freedom of religions....they hate anyone that is not a christian, they are telling weman they cannot decide on their own whether they need/want a abortion, it's true what Maher says....you guys live in a bubble....

By the way it's a Government FOR THE PEOPLE, BY THE PEOPLE!!!!!

Let me guess you are a white male in your mid 40's....I thought so.

February 24, 2012 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  15. Gemini Girl

BEST POSTS of the evening: JENNA'S AND JORDU'S. I notice people putting down Bill Maher's HBO show, Real Time. They probably don't even watch it! It is very informative and he always has on people of opposing sides. Come on, people! Give it a try (the best segment is at the end, I forget what it's called...)

February 24, 2012 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  16. Truth and Nothing But the Truth

I wonder when this dope smoking fool is going to get busted for drug possession? He's admitted to doing it on the air.

And somebody mentioned he was a Libertarian. That is total BS. This fool is far more likely to be a card carrying member of the communist party based on some of his comments.

February 24, 2012 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  17. the Stugatz

MAHER = GIANT D BAG

February 24, 2012 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  18. lovely

Obama is my American idol!

February 24, 2012 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  19. forever funnier than bill

Please quite referring to this no talent bum as a comedian. The only thing funny about this guy is his out of proportioned large head on his little scrawny body.

February 24, 2012 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  20. bud

How did this bum get a million dollars to give away? I DISCONNECTED my HBO because he was on all the time.

February 24, 2012 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  21. B-Squared

Fitting that the biggest hater of any and all things religious would do what he could to get Obama re-elected. Birds of a feather...

February 24, 2012 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  22. PJ Parker

Thank you Mr. Maher,

It's like the kick off to the season of the SuperPACs election. Let's hope it's absurd, and let's hope it's the last.

February 24, 2012 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  23. DCDave

Bill Maher isn't very smart and tells 1/2 the story but, since he's one-sided his seal audience claps and claps and claps...

February 24, 2012 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  24. FreedomStorm

Funding the destruction of the Republic. Remember him forevermore.

February 24, 2012 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  25. Sniffit groupie

Sniffit – I LOVE your comments, keep up the good work!

February 24, 2012 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |