Maher puts one-million dollars behind pro-Obama Super PAC
February 24th, 2012

Maher puts one-million dollars behind pro-Obama Super PAC

Washington (CNN) - Comedian Bill Maher is putting his money where his mouth is.

The comedian and talk show host who has long railed on the weakness of the Republican presidential field announced at a stand up comedy show on Thursday that he would donate $1 million to Priorities USA Action, a pro-Obama Super PAC.

“My surprise tonight is I would like to tonight announce a donation to the Obama Super PAC—which has the very unfortunate tongue-twister name ‘Priority (sic) USA Action’,” Maher said. “I know, it was named by Borat. But tonight I would like to give that PAC one million dollars.”

The concert, which was live streamed on Yahoo!, was held in San Jose, California and was billed by Yahoo! as the first stand-up comedy concert to be streamed live online.

In a tweet after the event, Maher said the announcement was a surprise to the Yahoo! organizers.

“Thank u everybody who's hit me up after the show, and a great San Jose audience. Obama donation was a surprise to Yahoo too fyi!”

Maher, whose comedy show is called “CrazyStupidPolitics,” has not been shy about his opinions of the 2012 race and when he spoke with CNN's Anderson Cooper, he said that other than Ron Paul, the Republican candidates running for president have “horrible society killing ideas about America.”

“The rest of those people are, of course, selling their souls to the corporate interests who back them,” Maher said. “They all act like god created the world in January of 2009, and then Barack Obama completely screwed it up.”

When asked in the same interview who he thought was going to win the 2012 election, Maher quickly tapped the president as the eventual winner.

“My money is still on Mitt Romney,” said Maher when asked who the eventual Republican nominee. “And I think he’s going to get the nomination, and then I think Obama is going to beat him like a runaway sister wife, yes, I do.”

Maher’s million dollar donation will substantially boost the coffers of the Super PAC which raised only $58,815.83 in January, according to a report filed earlier in the week with the Federal Election Commission.

– CNN’s Matthew Carey contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Bill Maher • President Obama
  1. Taran

@sniffit..."Oh come on now...and here I thought that corner was supopsed to be reserved for women who use contraception or have an abortion and was heated by burning gay people...."

I don't agree with your politics, but that's funny!!!!

February 24, 2012 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  2. Michael Chapel Hill

Maher, Don't bet on Obama, he has a wife, I mean female.

February 24, 2012 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  3. Jerry

THANK YOU – THANK YOU Mr. Maher – you have inspired me to give more and work harder for this President's reelection
    I an a senior citizen and can't give much, but I sure will give more than I probably should. I am so proud of you and what you stand for.

Cecilia, did you receive your 'dole" check already?!

February 24, 2012 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  4. Peggy

I love Bill Maher. He is everything the Republican candidates are not, brilliant, informed and current. I am always impressed by his depth and intellect.

Thanks for the cash Bill. Will do my little bit as well.

February 24, 2012 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  5. jo an

Even though I do not agree with Maher on God..I do agree with him on religion...especially FUNDAMENTALISM...like Catholics, Mormons and Born AGAINERS....There are some churches trying to do and be followers of Jesus...I support them.

February 24, 2012 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  6. Country Above the Parties

Bill, I wish you have a show back on one of the big network (except FauxNews). I dont have HBO and i missed watching you on ABC. this must be a big chunck of your money. you are no Koch Brothers or Sheldon Adelson.

February 24, 2012 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  7. Taran

Leftmedia trumpet Obama's plan to cut the corporate rate from 35 percent to 28 percent - still above the world's average rate of 25. Yet his plan would merely move the U.S. from the second highest corporate rate in the world to the fourth highest - with fewer deductions and new penalties to boot. For example, Obama would require for the first time that U.S. companies pay a minimum tax rate on any foreign earnings. His plan also distorts the playing field by favoring some industries over others he doesn't like. Overall, the administration says that American businesses would pay $250 billion more in taxes.
    It's important to note, however, that corporations don't pay corporate taxes; consumers and employees do through higher prices and lower wages.

I don't know about left leaning folks, but I don't like paying higher prices or recieving lower wages.

February 24, 2012 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  8. The Mad Zak

Maher: If you really want to help the USA, why don't you go move to a desert island permanently. I am a Democrat and I think that guy is just a bout the biggest jerk in the world.

February 24, 2012 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  9. Taran

The real economy crusher, however, could be Obama's proposal to raise the tax on dividends from 15 percent to a staggering 44.8 percent. This money is first taxed as profit at the corporate rate before it can be paid in dividends, making the effective tax rate on this money more than 64 percent. Also, by tripling the dividend rate, many corporations will simply stop paying dividends as they did in the 1990s when the rate was roughly twice that on capital gains.

February 24, 2012 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  10. Fla Pete

@Truth,why don't Koch or Rove contribute to the poor,disadvantaged..Never happen ,they're just pawns in a bigger game,just throwaways no big deal...You Repubs are such hypocrites,you can't get your heads out of your butts...You're starting to believe in your own stupid lies,from the mouths of babes..Bill is smart,he tells it like it is,scarey to you Repubs because you can't deal with the truth,hurts ha!!!Wait till they bring out the Obama machine,you rightwingers will be toast.Hey maybe you Repubs can hide in Bills bubble on his show,it is totally you....

February 24, 2012 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  11. Keith Shaw

Bill Maher is not a comedian.

February 24, 2012 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  12. oneyeopen

I love the support the minority comment! Maybe if you donated your money in ridding illegals and dead weight abusers to our tax system then who ever is president might not face all the obstacles they do. PS – I do include white dead beats in my remarks!

February 24, 2012 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  13. Badboy

February 24, 2012 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  14. oneyeopen

Bill since you don't beleive in God why do you even care! We all need something to beleive in. You have put your faith in BO. Well the only way we will remeber his name 1000 years from now will be if it totally ruins the USA as we know it!
    Jesus probaly wouldn't approve of most of our lifestyles (mine included) but I try to be a good & faithful person. Bill Maher (you fools can have him)

February 24, 2012 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  15. PulTab

k
    In effect, it's a direct donation from HBO to O. Obama is setting the standard for corruption.

Just making crap up and trying to make it sound like fact. You would be perfect for faux news k.

February 24, 2012 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  16. Sniffit

"Far left loon supporting another far left loon...didn't you all say after 08 thsat the Repub's were dead??? what happened in 20120?"

Severed heads have been known to blink a few times in response to their name before completely expiring.

February 24, 2012 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  17. Taran

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), who as Speaker of the House was one of the first to blame President Bush for high gas prices, blames everyone but this president. "Wall Street profiteering, not oil shortages, is the cause of the price spike," Pelosi said. "Unfortunately, Republicans have chosen to protect the interests of Wall Street speculators and oil companies instead of the interests of working Americans by obstructing the agencies with the responsibility of enforcing consumer protection laws."
    Smell the hypocrisy from the left in what she said???

February 24, 2012 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  18. Ed 1

Wow now there is a surprise not what a big mouth jerk.

February 24, 2012 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  19. Herman

Maher is so naive. Does he not know that Obama has a bunch of buddies on Wall Street supporting him anwhile playing him against the Republican candidates. A fool and his money are soon parted.

February 24, 2012 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  20. cf

My, look at the hypocrites coming out of the woodwork on the right! Criticizing Maher and Obama for doing the exact same thing that Republican donors not only do themselves, but brag about doing!

February 24, 2012 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  21. Joe The Plumber

Donate more Bill and get your hollywood frientds to help!

February 24, 2012 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  22. Jim

Latest in a VERY long line of unfunny utterances by this so-called comedian

February 24, 2012 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  23. TMGLost

Preface: I like Obama. Voted for him and will do so again. Additionally, I have enjoyed Maher since the 1st incarnation of Politically Incorrect on cc.

With that out of the way, I fully expect that the wingnuts will turn the tables on Foster Friess' (Santorum's SuperPAC sugar daddy) asprin-between-the-knees idiocy and start throwing out dozens, if not hundreds, of Maher-isms and asking "what is the difference?"

And it will be a tall task to explain it away.

So, be prepared. Sauce for the goose, after all.

February 24, 2012 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  24. Sniffit

"And have you ever heard his hate filled diatribes against people who believe in religion? His anti-religion zealotry is no less a "religion". He worships at the alter of HATE. Why is hate speech against people of religion, using Catholics and/or Christians tolerated? Is this worthless loser had any gonads he'd spew his hate about Islam. But of course he won't and will only attack those that do not fight back. Come on Maher, I DARE you! Attack and insult Muslims the way you do others of religious beliefs."

First, he very much is critical of all religions/religion in general. Try watching his movie Religulous so you can see for yourself. If I can sit through sessions of Beck's Blackboard of Bombastic Batsh-t so that I know my enemy and can talk accurately about it, then you shoudl be capable of similarly informaing yourself. Second, it's not the religion itself or its specific beliefs he is criticizing, but rather the behavior it engenders in its most zealous and self-righteous adherents. Nuance, get some.

February 24, 2012 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  25. Nick

Just keep on giving that change back to the greatest, most influential, most intelligent, best leader in the history of civilization king obama. I'm sure he has big plans for it and will truly help the middle class this time around.

February 24, 2012 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |