Maher puts one-million dollars behind pro-Obama Super PAC
February 24th, 2012

Maher puts one-million dollars behind pro-Obama Super PAC

Washington (CNN) - Comedian Bill Maher is putting his money where his mouth is.

The comedian and talk show host who has long railed on the weakness of the Republican presidential field announced at a stand up comedy show on Thursday that he would donate $1 million to Priorities USA Action, a pro-Obama Super PAC.

“My surprise tonight is I would like to tonight announce a donation to the Obama Super PAC—which has the very unfortunate tongue-twister name ‘Priority (sic) USA Action’,” Maher said. “I know, it was named by Borat. But tonight I would like to give that PAC one million dollars.”

The concert, which was live streamed on Yahoo!, was held in San Jose, California and was billed by Yahoo! as the first stand-up comedy concert to be streamed live online.

In a tweet after the event, Maher said the announcement was a surprise to the Yahoo! organizers.

“Thank u everybody who's hit me up after the show, and a great San Jose audience. Obama donation was a surprise to Yahoo too fyi!”

Maher, whose comedy show is called “CrazyStupidPolitics,” has not been shy about his opinions of the 2012 race and when he spoke with CNN's Anderson Cooper, he said that other than Ron Paul, the Republican candidates running for president have “horrible society killing ideas about America.”

“The rest of those people are, of course, selling their souls to the corporate interests who back them,” Maher said. “They all act like god created the world in January of 2009, and then Barack Obama completely screwed it up.”

When asked in the same interview who he thought was going to win the 2012 election, Maher quickly tapped the president as the eventual winner.

“My money is still on Mitt Romney,” said Maher when asked who the eventual Republican nominee. “And I think he’s going to get the nomination, and then I think Obama is going to beat him like a runaway sister wife, yes, I do.”

Maher’s million dollar donation will substantially boost the coffers of the Super PAC which raised only $58,815.83 in January, according to a report filed earlier in the week with the Federal Election Commission.

– CNN’s Matthew Carey contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Bill Maher • President Obama
  1. The Real Tom Paine

No, Taran, its politics, and your side has indulged itself at least as much as the other side.

February 24, 2012 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  2. oneyeopen

Koch was liked but all parties when he was in politics. The reason why he played ball with both sides. Democrats want to say GOP is greedy but look at size of gov now that Dems in power. They have spent more. Don't use war figures your president has ended 1 conflict and diverted funds to another!

February 24, 2012 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  3. Jimmy

Thanks Bill. All Dems, Swing Independents, celebrity dems (match that), the 98%, middle class, working poor, poor, black/white, women, guy, hispanic, male/female voters should try to donate something like the last time. I'm going to donate our President's campaign too

February 24, 2012 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  4. a little sad

"Fair is Fair

Yawn... communists helping communists."

Yawn....idiot posting idiocy.

February 24, 2012 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  5. mk1

What really concerns me is that these tea bagger people have so much hate that when President Obama wins another term, I am afraid what they will do. These are the gun crowd and that truly scares me. Democracy only works for them when they win, anything else is corrupt.

February 24, 2012 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  6. Jersey Shore

I love how all these idiots espouse religion and come out blantantly and state the catholics, mormons, baptists are a bunch of nuts. But not one of them mentions Islamic religion ? I find that very strange. If you are against religion, it will be the extremist Islamic religion which will cut off your head. Good luck with that..

February 24, 2012 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  7. oneyeopen

Newt came out with $2.50 gas fixed proposal and job creation with oil drilling and pipeline. He gets my vote. BO come up with that plan and better and you get my vote. My out of pocket expenses is my only concern now!

February 24, 2012 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  8. Nothing new here

Good for him.
    As much as I dislike all this doggone BIG government, I just cannot stand to deal with the current GOP.
    The GOP has lost it's way. This is NOT the party of Goldwater anymore.

February 24, 2012 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  9. Unknown

To think it was the conservative Justices on the Supreme Court that made this possible, I think this is the definition of, "beat them at their own game."

February 24, 2012 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  10. Taran

@Tom, that is what I was getting at, it is both sides. The left dogged bush for the high gas prices of '08, but anybody that dogs obama for the gas prices going up now is called practically everything but a milk cow, by the left. I was just saying that it is wrong.

February 24, 2012 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  11. Sniffit

"With that out of the way, I fully expect that the wingnuts will turn the tables on Foster Friess' (Santorum's SuperPAC sugar daddy) asprin-between-the-knees idiocy and start throwing out dozens, if not hundreds, of Maher-isms and asking "what is the difference?"

Maher is actually kidding (and actually funny), not walking things back with the "it was just a joke" excuse.

February 24, 2012 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  12. The Real Tom Paine

Why would a true communist give money to someone else, Fair? Get your ideological comparisons straight before you post.

February 24, 2012 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  13. Hola

I love Bill Maher, and think he has a great mind, BUT I cannot vote for Obama again. My family business cannot afford to provide healthcare for our employees, as mandated under Obamacare. We have been hit hard by the economy, and profit margins are very low. Obamacare would probably cause us to have to shut down, and lay off over 110 employees!

February 24, 2012 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  14. The Real Tom Paine

oneyeopen and your mind shut to reality.

February 24, 2012 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  15. patriot

send every GOPPER who supports romney/gingrich/sanscrotum to Alaska, give them their own country and let those traitors die off, far from the rest of every proud American who wants to see the president success regardless of agenda. WHY? Because stupid, A PRESIDENT'S SUCCESS IS HIS COUNTRY'S SUCCESS and any activity opposed to that outcome is an act of treachery that shoud be punishable by expulsion, revocation of citizenship and life long banishment from the United States of America.

February 24, 2012 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  16. Renee

If you have a brain, vote Republican.

February 24, 2012 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  17. Farsun

you'll have to hold your nose when you vote for Obama, knowing that you're in line with a POS like Maher

February 24, 2012 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  18. Truth and Nothing But the Truth

Why does Bill Maher have all this money? Such a believer in big government should have sent all this money in to Washington YEARS ago. He should only be allowed to keep $50,000 a year. Any more than that is sheer greed.

February 24, 2012 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  19. cher stefano

I thought I sent up a post a few minutes ago but it seems to have dissappeared so here goes again. THANKYOU Bill Maher for your generous donation to the Obama campaign. I watch you every week and enjoy you on talk shows and every thing else you are on. You can chew up and spit out the best of them and with class and an amazing calm. I am a christian and dont always agree with your athiest remarks BUT respect you for your opinion and right to have it. But you are so spot on most of the time with your political analysis and love to watch you in action with those who think they are going to one ups you only to find that you get the best of them most all of the time. I would never be so bold as to think I could come out and take you on...LOL Keep up the good work..and again thanx for the Donation to the OBAMA campaign..What a class act he is and his family is just beautiful..I pray for all the haters to see the light and mend their sad ways.

February 24, 2012 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  20. michelle

excellent show of support. like you or not Maher doesnt matter you will prove right in the long run.

February 24, 2012 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  21. Clint, Wa.

Thank you Mr. Maher, it’s relaxing to know that there are still sane and intelligent people in this world.

February 24, 2012 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  22. Debby

Who cares what this loud mouth does.

February 24, 2012 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  23. rm

For those who believe big corporations only support repubslicans thanks for the laugh... biggest donor to obama in 2008..BP. the dems do the exact same things the republicans do. Corporations dont care what party your from. They donate 50% -50%. The unions on the otherhand donate over 85% to democrates...wheres the outcry there. 35% of union members are registeted republicans. Doesnt seem like a fair distribution of funds. But dont question it. The union bosses are only looking out for their members...right? Educate yourselves people. Dont drink the coolaide

February 24, 2012 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  24. Annia

I would rather be listening to Bill Maher for 10 hours straight, than to listen to the GOP debate for 10 minutes, even though I'm supporting Ron Paul.

February 24, 2012 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  25. Coyoteliberty

Patriot: You're wrong and you make the same mistake that the elites on the left want you to make: That thinking the American Government is America. It's not. Hard concept for you to get, I'm sure, but true. Ameica is a success. Obama is a failure, as are his policies.

February 24, 2012 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |