Mitt at The Mitt
February 24th, 2012

Mitt at The Mitt

Mt. Clemens, Michigan (CNN) – On a swing Friday through a Michigan restaurant called The Mitt, GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney found himself musing about his uncommon moniker.

"You know, I've almost never met anyone with my name," he told a group of supporters at the restaurant, which has not opened for business yet. "Maybe two people in the entire country have told me their name is Mitt, and that's over a lifetime of listening for someone to say they named their kid Mitt. Somehow that name just did not catch."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Romney said his parents had named him after a first cousin who played quarterback for the Chicago Bears in the 1920s.

"They thought by naming me Mitt Romney I'd get extraordinary athletic ability," he said to laughter. "Yeah, your laugh is exactly right. That did not happen."

Though The Mitt's owner, Ken Leonard, named his restaurant after the shape of the state of Michigan – like a catcher's mitt – Romney still seemed tickled by the coincidence.

"It's a great privilege to be in a place named The Mitt, and I hope that someday if I'm lucky enough to become president I can be back here and have a full sample of your food," he said.

Also see:

Maher puts one-million dollars behind pro-Obama Super PAC

Romney says Obama will 'divide 1% vs. 99%'

Specter disputes Santorum account of support

Axelrod on GOP candidates: 'All hat, no cattle'

Filed under: Michigan • Mitt Romney
  1. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

Awkward much, Willard? This guy does not relate to normal USians.

February 24, 2012 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  2. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

@ Truth:

Dude, seriously, call me. I know where to get you help.

February 24, 2012 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  3. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

@ Truth: your halo effect comments are tiresome. **groan**

February 24, 2012 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  4. Sage Sophos

Why do the Republicans Hate the Unions? don't you realize that union members are consumers too? and if they are paid higher wages they don't hide it under their mattresses or Cayman, they just consume and plug it back into the economy. We can do a better job on finding real solutions on complex issues or we can take the easiest way out by demonizing others without finding solutions just a thought.

February 24, 2012 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  5. Cindy

After hearing Santorum say that 62% of college kids shouldn't go to college, I can understand why. I wish someone would have asked him if that 62% were women.

February 24, 2012 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  6. Ann

if you listened to the facts, the Secret service decided against holding the event in the Strium for security reasons, 1200 people isn't bad for a weekday event...Oh and the Cadillac statement, what do you want him to do Lie? he has been very successful, why shouldn't he have a few nice vehicles...Very lame MSM reporting

February 25, 2012 07:28 am at 7:28 am |