Trying optics at Romney event
February 24th, 2012

Trying optics at Romney event

Detroit (CNN) – When Mitt Romney delivered his much-hyped speech here Friday on his plans to fix the economy, much of the buzz surrounding the event focused on anything but economics.

The optics of Romney's speech, hosted and organized by the Detroit Economic Club, were not ideal for a campaign meticulous about image control.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Weeks ago the economic club moved Romney's speech to the cavernous Detroit landmark Ford Field after the campaign said a smaller venue quickly reached capacity. But the audience of 1,200 seated on the AstroTurf in the football stadium appeared dwarfed by the 65,000 seats arcing above them on all sides.

"I guess we had a hard time finding a large enough place to meet," Romney said during his speech. "And this certainly is."

Laughter and applause from the audience were swallowed up in the giant venue, which made the response appear muted to those seated inside.

At one point Romney seemed to reference the quiet after he was asked whether he was the best candidate to challenge President Barack Obama.

"I not only think I have the best chance, I think I have the only chance. Maybe I'm overstating it a little bit," he said laughing. And he encouraged the audience to applaud by pointing out: "I, uh, that's my family leading the applause down here."

Later, Romney made an offhand remark that seemed to broadcast his wealth. A Michigander by birth, Romney told the audience he drove cars manufactured in Detroit.

"I drive a Mustang and a Chevy pickup truck," he said. "Ann drives a couple of Cadillacs actually, and I used to have a Dodge truck, so I used to have all three covered."

A campaign spokesman said Ann Romney owns two Cadillac SRXs and keeps one at each of the family's two homes. The 2012 SRX model sells for between $35,000 and $49,000.

In his speech, Romney highlighted a tax plan, outlined earlier this week, that would cut marginal tax rates for individuals by 20%.

Also see:

Maher puts one-million dollars behind pro-Obama Super PAC

Romney says Obama will 'divide 1% vs. 99%'

Specter disputes Santorum account of support

Axelrod on GOP candidates: 'All hat, no cattle'

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney
  1. JOHN

Dave, That was funny!

February 24, 2012 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  2. mc

Why is this in a stadium? They could have held it in a closet.

February 24, 2012 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  3. Laverne

This guy is fading like a fart in the wind! President Obama is going to give him a good ass whupping soon enough!

February 24, 2012 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  4. Dave

Thanks John, EMPTY SUITS & EMPTY SEATS!

February 24, 2012 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  5. moby49

The 1% of Detroit. LOL

February 24, 2012 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  6. Bill

Hilarious. If that is 1200 people, then the moon is made of green cheese. Obama will fill something this size three times over at his next victory speech in November.

February 24, 2012 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  7. Dave

I feel like its 1952 in the deep south with signs of WHITES ONLY!! MITTENS, why you got a problem with the brothers?

February 24, 2012 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  8. Kevin

I would like to personally thank the republican crowd for buying the shiny box with a pretty bow, without looking inside. I will get richer due to lack of ability to see the big picture. It is wonderful that speculators can buy up the supply after being deregulated. If the Keystone pipeline is approved will drive prices up higher when the resources to process the oil for export is tied up. My oil investments should really pay off. I love the deregulation that allowed the big box companies to move over to China. The record profits will make my investments payoff. One sad note to that is the middleclass that makes up the consumer group is almost gone. Got to love globalization, now I can invest in cheaply made crap that makes money. The dumb up of education is very encouraging. The future class of worker bees holds promise. The no kid left behind and standardized testing was truly inspired. Imagine dumb up education to the slowest one in the classroom. I love trickle down, not having to pay a high rate of taxes on my profits. To think people actually think I am going to invest money to build stuff in the USA, when there is no middleclass to buy it. It is so great to have the right to bet on failures and legally hide money now that Wall Street was deregulated. The profit opportunity is tremendous. I love that the loan companies were leaned on to make variable rate and high-risk loans to hide the recession in Bush presidency. Man, did I rake it in on the large amount of customers and got to make money off the foreclosures. I love the push for small business; man does it save on labor cost. It is fantastic to pay so little to employees now. I send my love to all of the Republicans out there.

February 24, 2012 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  9. Rudy NYC

Boy, that sure looks lilke a screw up. I wonder if Romney made up for by finding the person responsible and saying, "You didn't perform your service to me as well as you should have, and were hired to do. You're fired."

February 24, 2012 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  10. Jariv

Romney all the way. Maybe he can mandate all the stupid people liker John, Wire Palladin, and so many more democrats to take some history lessons, some science, and some personal development classes. I think that will be a great success so this people can actually get some knowledge.

Romney 2012 !!!

February 24, 2012 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  11. Jariv

@Dave – He ain't got problems with the brother. Its perception. A VERY wrong perception.

February 24, 2012 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  12. Steve Fielder

This is as big a crowd as Wall Street Willard can get when he gives what's supposed to be a major speech on his economic "plans"? Back in high school, I went to kegger parties that drew bigger crowds than this! Pathetic...........

February 24, 2012 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  13. Mikey

Who does this guy think he is? Barack Obama? Perhaps is Romney kisses up to the President, he could get some sort of mid level administrative post in the Obama Administration's second term – say Assistant to the Assistant to the Undersecretary of Commerce.

February 24, 2012 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  14. JOHN

Jariv, what do you like about Mitt? prove your case?

February 24, 2012 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  15. Dave

A funny thing happend in St George a few years back, The mormon CULT tried to recruit me to the lds, I Said sure, IF YOU GET A BLACK ELDER, needless to say that was the end of that conversation & they immediately walked away!

February 24, 2012 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  16. Mikey

They wasted money on the jumbo-tron. No one is farther than about 80 feet from Romney. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

February 24, 2012 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  17. Anonymous

LOL! The Rmoney Neocon Boyz are the same crowd of clowns the so-called "liberal" media like CNN has been calling "strong" and "well-organized." The corporate shills must get confused when reality intrudes on their propaganda.

February 24, 2012 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  18. Dave

YO Jariv, WHITE, WHITER & WHITEST crowd, SUP WIT DAT!!!

February 24, 2012 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  19. David

The Romneys definitely have much more money than brain cells–and to make that comment in Detroit no less. LOL Andrea Saul–talk to Willard NOW

February 24, 2012 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  20. Dave

Sorry, ZUP WIT DAT??

February 24, 2012 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  21. dan5404

The 1200 fans compared to the thousands of empty seats represent the support for the GOP right wing policies.

February 24, 2012 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  22. unhanon

"A campaign spokesman said Ann Romney owns two Cadillac SRXs and keeps one at each of the family's two homes." If you didn't need a reason to understand how out of touch Mr. Romney is with the vast majority of America, there it is right there.

February 24, 2012 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  23. realitybites

Too funny John:
    I waiting for the video with Mitt showing his many SRX's and singing you can roll like me a real player!!!!!!

Can you picture him rappin gangsta style out the window w/ giant $ medallion hangin off?

February 24, 2012 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  24. Zenfire

The reality is that Rick Santorum does not have the experience or skills to run the nation. If you stop and think about this, you know this is true.

February 24, 2012 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  25. Demswin2012

Many in the public realm were not notified beforehand. Did anyone here know before late last evening that Romney was to speak this morning? If this event was to be one of Romney's highlights before next Tuesday's voting, someone in his campaign certainly dropped the ball.
    I couldn't find any T V stations that even carried his speech.

February 24, 2012 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |