Romney: 'I can't be perfect'
February 26th, 2012

Romney: 'I can't be perfect'

(CNN) - Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney on Sunday responded to questions about his ability to connect with voters, standing by his financial success but acknowledging he also had some flaws.

"You know, I can't be perfect," Romney said on "Fox News Sunday." "I just am who I am."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

The former Massachusetts governor made headlines Friday when he casually mentioned in a Detroit speech that he drives two cars and his wife drives "a couple of Cadillacs."

A campaign spokesman said Ann Romney owns two Cadillac SRXs kept at different homes. The 2012 SRX model sells for between $35,000 and $49,000.

The candidate's wealth - Romney's income was $42.7 million over the last two years - has been the focal point of criticism in terms of his ability to appeal to working-class voters.

Asked Sunday about his cars and other statements perceived by some as "out of touch," Romney stood by his corporate success.

"If people think that there is something wrong with being successful in America, then they better vote for the other guy, because I've been extraordinarily successful and I want to use that success and that know-how to help the American people," Romney said.

His comments came two days before Romney seeks to win two big primaries in Arizona and his native state of Michigan. Recent polls show the former Massachusetts governor in a heated sprint with rival Rick Santorum to capture both states.

While Romney depicted himself as the underdog in Michigan, the candidate said Sunday he anticipates doing well in the Wolverine State that his father once governed.

"But how long the process goes on, I think it's hard to predict," Romney said. "I'm convinced I'm going to become the nominee, and we'll be willing to take however long it takes to get that job done."

– CNN Political Producer Rachel Streitfeld contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Arizona • Michigan • Mitt Romney
  1. Samwise

Roof Dog Romney will never be president of anything but a corporation.

February 27, 2012 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  2. ObamaJoe

good job Mitt,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

keep in mind ,,,,

Michele can help you to unite GOP,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

February 27, 2012 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  3. i want a mega rich Mormon who hides money overseas, and a master tax evader as president

Oh he can't be perfect, but the gop expect Obama to be? That's okay, I'm voting for the other Guy.
    Obama 2012.

February 27, 2012 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  4. native new yorker

Romney was born in Michigan? You expect us to believe THAT? Where's his birth certificate. He had to have been born on the Gold Coast of Somewhere.

February 27, 2012 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  5. Jesucrisco

Romney is totally out of touch with the struggles of working class Americans.

February 27, 2012 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  6. ObamaJoe

he is not perfect,,,,,,,but he is the best for GOP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

with Bachmann,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,he could be closer to perfect,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

February 27, 2012 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  7. Anyone but O'Bama

There is no shame in being successful. Also the Republicans need to be less holier than thou.. I am a fiscal conservative and closet liberal. I do not care what people believe or want.. I just do not want to pay for it. There are many more types of Republicans than the kooks and right wingers the party caters too. If you want Obama for another 4 years keep pandering to the right.. if you want to win this elections go moderate and stay there.

February 27, 2012 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  8. MNTaxpayer

"I just am who I am." On any given day, in front of any given crowd.

February 27, 2012 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  9. Ron Goodwin

Welll...........How many cars does his dog have????

February 27, 2012 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  10. BLKMANinAmerica

BUT ................ I'm confused..................isn't his money the root to his prefection? LMBAO..............no one is Mit not even you with all your millions.

February 27, 2012 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  11. Samwise

"At this point I just want someone who is competent running this economy. " Imagine you have lost your job, and are living off your savings. You tell your kid he's going to have to work if he wants college, because you can afford tuition but not a dorm. Your kid tells you that a COMPETENT person could afford both tuition AND the dorm, and walks away shaking his head. You call him back and tell him exactly how much money is available, and show him the math; he sneers and says "I bet Mom can figure it out. You're just stupid." Sometimes there just isn't enough money to afford everything you want. America is like your kid; we want 150% of the budget for ourselves.

February 27, 2012 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  12. Kurt

February 27, 2012 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  13. Paul1st

Cheney will disapprove of anyone who admits to being less than perfect. He schooled W on this point over and over.

February 27, 2012 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  14. Katie

He's not perfect. Nobody is. Expecting a politician to be perfect is just plain stupid. Romney is Obama in GOP clothing, except he's a lot more out of touch with ordinary Americans and he's more apt to pander to the crazy right-wingers.
    Obama 2012.

February 27, 2012 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  15. Taran

The reality is that Obama's goal has always been higher gas prices. His Energy Secretary Steven Chu famously told The Wall Street Journal in 2008, 'Somehow we have to figure out how to boost the price of gasoline to the levels in Europe.' And when Obama was asked by CNBC's John Harwood that same year if high gas prices actually 'helped' the United States, Obama said, 'I think that I would have preferred a gradual adjustment.'
    Proof that anyone that still wants to vote for this clown either chooses blindness or is truly brainless.

February 27, 2012 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  16. Laverne

But it is a unthinkable that Obama isn't perfect! Not only is this guy not perfect, he is not likable, qualified, honest, authenic,, ect.........He SUCKS!

February 27, 2012 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  17. Samwise

"I like Romney. I thin he would do well as President. Good experience, abilities, persona, etc. I'm pretty sure I'll vote for him."

I bet you end up staying home instead of making him the New Face of Conservatism. He's going to lose to Obama and then hang around like Palin saying the GOP didn't support him, liberal media shanked him, and he can see Planet Kolob from his basement window. Good luck with that.

February 27, 2012 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  18. Anonymous

Romney is only 1% perfect.

February 27, 2012 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  19. wonderabout

Romney will treat this country just like he did all those companies Pain Capitol closed down in the U.S. and hid all the money in the sunny south! Really people? Why is Romney running? Because his corporate buddies want another stooge in the White House. One that will sign or write or spout whatever talking point the Dark Side wants him to... same with the other Three Stooges on the debate stage with him. You tell us you are going to help the American People – but you fail to continue that phrase with as long as you are rich, powerful, self-centered, pretentious, greedy, self-entitled, weak and willing to sell your soul to the devil you all seem to worship!

February 27, 2012 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  20. Tom

The guy got "successful" (as GOPErs would define it) by making money eliminating American jobs.

February 27, 2012 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  21. Dave

At least Mitt got one thing right: he isn't even close to perfect.

February 27, 2012 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  22. Alger Dave

Amen to this statement from Romney! And Mitt, it's not that we're looking for the perfect candidate (as no one expects that of any person), it's just that we need someone who isn't a flip flopping pandering liar. I've voted GOP all my life, but I can't stand this new Romney who's going to sock it to the poor, while leaving the wealthy unscathed. How is that going to play in the general election? Seriously?? He's so Wall Street that he doesn't even know a poor person. I guess he used to work with a few when he was a Mormon minister/missionary (another thing he doesn't want to talk about – at all). Mitt, we like people who are successful, but we like them to understand the rest of us too. You don't. Vote Santorum.

February 27, 2012 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  23. judith

People just don't like you Willard. All that money just can't buy their love. We've never seen such a phony run for national office and it's too late for you to change.

February 27, 2012 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  24. Anonymous

Yeah, it's you LSD crazies who keep coming here and making the same statement, basically "He's a great man with great values and a great family and he's been a great success at whatever he does." Yet you all ignore his "greatness" comes from being a great corporate predator. He's a successful psychopath, nothing more. He knows nothing about average Americans and he cares nothing about average Americans. And you radical Romneyites never manage to address his robot phoniness, his elitism and his intellectually and morally bankrupt policies. Regardless of the words that rattle around repeatedly in your fact-free echo chamber, Flipper is not at all great. He doesn't have a heroic bone in his body.

February 27, 2012 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  25. Anthony

People are bent out of shape because his wife drives a couple of middle-of-the road $40k Cadillacs? Seriously? The guy is worth so much money (which I think is great, I'd love to be that successful and I'm happy for him), the fact that she doesn't drive a couple of $400k Rolls-Royce sedans, and have a collection of several more in the garage is more surprising to me.

I personally think Romney's lack of an extravagant European car collection show's he's financially conservative and that he buys American, and people have a problem with that? I just don't get it. Envy and bitterness is no way to make it in this world, people, it just won't ever bring you peace or happiness. And thinking that you should have a piece of that other guy's wealth because you deserve it as much as he does, well, grow up and go make it big yourself. (By the way, I myself am FAR from wealthy, I'm just trying to make it and be smart financially and get better each day. And not worry my life away at what others may have that I myself don't, but instead be happy with my life and try and make it better each and every day, in every way.)

February 27, 2012 11:38 am at 11:38 am |