Romney special guest: Kid Rock
February 27th, 2012

Romney special guest: Kid Rock

Royal Oak, Michigan (CNN) - Who says Republicans only love honky tonk?

On the eve of Michigan's nail-biter of a primary, Mitt Romney supporters put their hands in the air Monday to welcome bad boy rocker Kid Rock – whose surprise appearance in Royal Oak was a closely held but widely expected campaign flourish.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Rock, who maintains close ties to Michigan, his birth state, played "Born Free" for the audience at the Royal Oak Theater.

The song is Romney's official campaign tune and is played when the GOP candidate enters and leaves the stage at events.

Romney introduced Rock by calling him "a friend."

"I'm happy to introduce a son of Detroit, a friend, a guy who makes great music who introduces me by DVD everywhere I go - Kid Rock!" he said.

During the one-song concert, Romney stood with his wife, Ann, and tapped his foot, clapped his hands and nodded his head to the beat.

A campaign aide said before Rock agreed to perform, he requested a meeting with the candidate at the rocker's home in Milford on Thursday. The two men spoke for about an hour about Romney's commitment to Detroit, Michigan, and the troops.

During the meeting, Romney personally asked Rock if he would perform at his rally. Rock e-mailed the candidate the next day to agree to the idea.

Also see:

Gingrich tells evangelicals: 'We need to stand up for ourselves'

Limbaugh front and center in pro-Santorum mailer

Romney: 'I can't be perfect'

Graham, McCain predict big primary night for Romney

Filed under: 2012 • Michigan • Mitt Romney
  1. Chris

I hope Palin, Rush Limbaugh and Rove are as outraged as they were when Common Performed at the Whitehouse....oh Kid Rock is White...Nevermind.

February 28, 2012 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  2. James PDX

Of the couple of Kid Rock songs I've been unfortunate enough to hear, I can't see why he's had any musical success whatsoever. With so many musicians being politically active these days, was this really the best Mitt could attract? A redneck rocker who calls himself "Kid"? Sadly, I'd have been more impressed with Justin Bieber if he hadn't already signed on to be a Santorum lifetime virgin.

February 28, 2012 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  3. GROVER NORQUIST IS A ENEMY OF THE STATE

I'd prefer an endorsement from Eminem rather than Kid Rock.

February 28, 2012 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  4. tstorm

What a sad election for the Republicans. They know they're going to lose the presidency, but most likely the House, too...

February 28, 2012 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  5. the situation

Two irrelevant people!

February 28, 2012 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  6. ladybug

how much did he pay kid rock for that?

February 28, 2012 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  7. Bill

If I were Romney, I would stop seeking endorsements. They all backfire on him. He was endorsed by every governor in the states he has lost so far. Hmmm. And that reprobate Nikki Haley was a real game changer for him in SC. Not.
    And I suppose Kid Rock confirms Romney is just one of the guys.

February 28, 2012 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  8. SEAL Team Alpha and Omega

I was born and raised in Detroit, a place that loves Bob Seger, who happens to despise Bush's war, which Obama is finally ending. It looks like Kid Rock has joined the other white racist Tea Paerty crowd of Ted Nugent and Chuck Norris, both racists and complete retarded morons. Looks like me and family will officially stop buying Kid Rock CDs unless he comes to his senses and wakes up from his druken stupor and realizes he just endorsed Ritchy Rich, someone who pleaded for the failure of the Detroit auto industry where automakers cannot keep up with the demand and orders pouring in.

Kid Rock,

You made a bad choice and a very stupid career move. Say good bye to many, many of your fans around the country.

February 28, 2012 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  9. realitybites

Well I always considered Kid a Craker, now I'm sure.

February 28, 2012 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  10. TwM

Democrats are such a violent and hateful group.
    Go Mitt.

February 28, 2012 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  11. ART

Just lost all respect for Kid Rock

February 28, 2012 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  12. GBfromOhio

And he had the nerve to make fun of Steven Tyler for doing the Ameircan Idol gig lol?! His next song "I support the rich cyborg flip flopper I sold out I used to be a rocker"

February 28, 2012 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  13. Lynn

So ashamed to hear that Kid Rock sold out to Mitt Romney (or was it Donald Trump). Always supported Kid Rock but I won't any longer. Is Kid Rock naive enouh to believe that Mitt Romney would support and take care of Detroit? Doesn't Kid Rock know that Romney said "GM should have been made to file bankruptcy". It was President Obama who saved GM from certain failure and now GM is the #1 automker in the world and has hired thousands of people. President Obama did more for Detroit than Mitt Romney could even imagine. I am ashamed of you, Kid Rock that you would believe anything that Mitt Romney would say to be elected. He could care less about Detroit and you, Kid Rock, have lost my support.

February 28, 2012 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  14. Jean

Yeah.

Kid Rock will help Romney move right to the front of the pack.

February 28, 2012 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  15. V in Chicago

Kid Rock just lost all credibility in my opinion. As a former Michigander, I am really disappointed in his choice and I will never buy another CD of his again. May even destroy those I do have. But, since Robert (Kid's real name) was a pampered child who greq up in wealth, it doesn't really surprise me. Everyone know Robert was a rich kid who tried to pass himself off as something he wasn't so he could get his "street cred" for his career. Just another "poser".

February 28, 2012 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  16. kman821

Yes, the highly coveted Kid Rock endorsement is an even bigger political plus than getting Ted Nugent's or Chuck Norris' endorsement!

February 28, 2012 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  17. DrCole

The haters are out today...sounding just like a tool. They do nothing but call names and talk personal ills against a man. Notice how they don't disagree with the guys policies, mostly disagreeing with him because he's a Republican, rich, Ken doll, etc.

Come on people...let's have an honest discussion on what is wrong with America and how we can constructively make it better. This name calling, hate, class / social / theological war has to end if we are going to make this country great. How about if we put the hatred away and work towards solutions.

February 28, 2012 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  18. Four and The Door

Kid Rock does rock. This was a great show of support for his city, his state and his country.

February 28, 2012 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  19. Benny

Kid Rock's music promotes a lifestyle that includes smoking pot and drinking alcohol. Romney has associated himself and his campaign with this??

February 28, 2012 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  20. foreverwar

Romney is getting desperate to fit in.

February 28, 2012 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  21. DIANA

I guess Kid Rock doesn't love his home state very much. Bad career move Kiddy.

February 28, 2012 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  22. Angel

Kid Rock as HAS BEEN performing for another HAS BEEN Romney!!

February 28, 2012 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  23. Lenny

@ Four and the Door: Kid Rock doesn't rock yet–he's still trying to learn from Mick. BTW even Team Romney knew it'd be a bad idea to ask Mick to serenade Willard. LOL

February 28, 2012 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  24. DeeNYC

Well we all know Kid Rock is well known for his intelligence, morals, and fiscal knowledge so of course he will back someone like Mitt.
    for the pub boys I'm being sarcastic, Kid Rock is dumb as rocks. And so are middle class pubs. rich pubs i understand.

February 28, 2012 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  25. Rudy NYC

What kind of music does Romney carry around inside of his iPod? I'm curious. It would be a good human interest story for Mitt Romney to show us what is in his iPod, or what he listens to in his cars.

February 28, 2012 10:54 am at 10:54 am |