Romney reprises Santorum attacks in Ohio
February 29th, 2012

Romney reprises Santorum attacks in Ohio

Bexley, Ohio (CNN) - After taking a break Wednesday morning from the negative back-and-forth that came to define the Republican presidential race in Michigan, Mitt Romney reprised his direct assault on Rick Santorum at a campaign stop in vote-heavy central Ohio.

"Rick Santorum is a nice guy but he is an economic lightweight," Romney told a polite crowd at Capital University in Bexley, an affluent suburb of Columbus. "He doesn't understand what it takes to make the economy work on a personal basis."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

It takes "real experience" in the private sector and not "talking points" from a briefing book to understand how the economy works, Romney argued.

With Ohio shaping up to be the central battleground before Super Tuesday next week, Romney made sure to pepper his speech with nods to the state's slow-moving economy, hammering Chinese trade practices and criticizing the Obama administration's regulations on coal production, long a staple of the economy along the Ohio river.

He also made the case for electability in a state that is once again certain to be a crucial November battleground.

"If I am the nominee, I am going to beat Barack Obama," Romney promised. "I don't believe anyone else can. I am going to get the job done."

The candidate took several questions from audience members, including one who said the "tyrannical" federal government is threatening to take his firearms away.

Romney, who said during a debate in January that he recently hunted elk in Montana, declared himself a staunch supporter of Second Amendment rights.

"I'll protect the second amendment," he said. "I have guns myself. Not going to tell you where they are. Don't have them on myself either, alright. But we have a right in this country to bear arms."

When he first sought the Republican nomination in 2008, Romney said in an interview that he owned a firearm, but later was forced to backtrack and admit that while his sons owned guns, he did not.

After inquires Wednesday from the members of the media, Romney campaign aides said they were looking into what kind of guns the candidate owns and when he acquired them.

UPDATE: A campaign aide told CNN that Romney owns two shotguns.

– CNN Political Reporter Rachel Streitfeld contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • Ohio • Rick Santorum
  1. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Mittens hasn't shown himself to be a nice guy, since he lies non stop, launders money off shore, sends jobs over seas, and has only one goal: to protect the upper 1%,

February 29, 2012 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  2. Romney is not My Hero

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Oh, this is the best lie he has ever told. Thanks for the laugh – OBAMA 2012!

February 29, 2012 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  3. Russ

Yeah, Santorum doesn't understand how the economy works on a personal level like you do, because he doesn't have two or three hundred million to invest that give returns 20 million a year. Talk about another idiotic statement!

February 29, 2012 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  4. Wire Palladin, S. F.

I wonder why a successful businessman has to spend millions more than his opponents combined on trashing republicans with negative advertising.

February 29, 2012 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  5. Truth and Nothing But the Truth

Romney needs to keep the pressure on 7×24 until he seals the deal. ANd then the same thing with Obama. No let up, no rest, no prisoners. THAT is how you win. And remember, nice guys finish last.

February 29, 2012 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  6. Wobbly Walker

Why dies the media care about what type and when he got them? That's not a gun (pistol), this is a gun (macine gun) like "Crocodille Dundee's" knife scene? I know a guy that never shot for 50 plus years, and since introduced to it he's stocking up. It's the economy and they can't deny Romney would be a better leader on it.

February 29, 2012 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  7. judy

flip flop flip flop. If he has hunted it was one of those paid deals where they drive you to the game set everything up and show you how to pull the trigger. He probably wore an LL Bean outfit. What a joke. Obama 2012

February 29, 2012 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  8. Al-NY,NY

Keep it up Mittens....keep the negativity going and more and more independents will say "buh bye"

February 29, 2012 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  9. Rachel

This election season has just been sad. If I wanted someone to tell me to stay home barefoot and having babies maybe I would vote for you Santorum. You are too far right for most republicans. Women today are working and taking care of the home. I am a R, but your whole "snob comment" regarding Obama saying everyone should be able to afford to go to college was way off base and makes you look like the snob!!

February 29, 2012 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  10. Ricardo

Sorry Mitt, but government is NOT private sector. They don't function the same way. Touting your private sector, venture raider background doesn't cut it when dealing with public policy and budgeting.

February 29, 2012 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  11. Anonymous

Enough with the mom jeans already!

PS: you are also an economic lightweight, so stop lying.

February 29, 2012 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  12. hawksteel

Romney will get the job done. More jobs, less debt and smaller government is the way to go.

February 29, 2012 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  13. FedUp

Well, Mitt certainly doesn't have to worry about being a "nice guy." He acts like a spoiled brat, in my opinion. Don't need anyone like him in the White House.

February 29, 2012 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  14. Doris Fitch

Romney made the statement "We can't beat Obama with a guy who's resume looks like Obama"! Gosh, I don't see anyone more like Obama's them Romney, same health care plan & same environmental agenda! Even had Gina McCarthy working for him as gov & also John Holdren and they now work for Obama. Both Romney & Obama believing global warming being man made & that's the force behind UN Sustainable development Agenda 21 which will make our country part of a communist one world gov! You certainly can see this being inacted by the EPA and Romney saying he would make a few changes while Gingrich says he would do away with it!

February 29, 2012 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  15. T'sah from Virginia

►"If I am the nominee, I am going to beat Barack Obama,"◄
    Come on Romney – Stop lying to those folks – Stop all that drama
    Just because you're "winning" you only represent a small pack
    Besides – you're "flip-flopping" ash is about to be shacked!!!

Obama 2012 – The Only Trusted Way Forward!!

February 29, 2012 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  16. 2chihuahuas

So Romney hunts Elk with shotguns? What is with these GOP hunters, helicopters, and shotguns for Elk hunting. Don't even get me started with Cheney and his hunting "accident". I think we should have the right to have guns but we should be FORCED to learn to use them.

February 29, 2012 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  17. Anonymous

"It's the economy and they can't deny Romney would be a better leader on it."

Actually, there's no proof for your statement and lots of evidence against it. Why should the media report on your delusions?

February 29, 2012 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  18. beevee

Mitt Romeny is the 'panderer in chief'. He will say anything to get your vote. The recent wins have boosted his confidence, but in the end (come november) he will be booted.

February 29, 2012 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  19. S. B. Stein E.B. NJ

Are people really that afraid of the government coming to take away weapons? I find that hard to believe. The idea that Romney is really going to win is a laugh since he can't seem to keep showing off his wealth and flouting in the faces of people who don't have it.

February 29, 2012 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  20. Disabled vet

Mitt romney would create thousands of jobs and make the economy better in China. another repubic it is all about cheap labor and huge profits. Thats it thats all now let that be the reason.

March 1, 2012 12:05 am at 12:05 am |