March 2nd, 2012

Fluke on Limbaugh comment: 'I'm not going to be silenced'

(CNN) - The Georgetown law student targeted by Rush Limbaugh for her position on contraceptives said Friday she was "upset and outraged" when she first heard the radio talk show host had called her a "slut."

"I felt probably the way many women do when they are called those types of names," Sandra Fluke told CNN. "Initially hurt and then very quickly upset and outraged because somebody is trying to silence you."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Fluke, who advocated last week in a Democratic hearing for the Obama policy requiring employers provide free contraception coverage, said she was sitting at a computer Wednesday when she read online that Limbaugh had personally attacked her during his radio show.

Calling her a "slut" and "prostitute," Limbaugh has said if taxpayers are going to pay for women to have sex, then they should post videos of their activities so everyone can watch.

His comments have sparked a firestorm in the last two days, with Democrats seizing on it as an opportunity to keep the political story alive.

President Barack Obama called Fluke on Friday to offer his support.

"That wasn't on my schedule for the day," Fluke joked, referring to Obama's call. "But I was happy to add that to the schedule."

The law student told CNN she thinks Limbaugh was "confused" about her testimony.

While Fluke attends a Jesuit university that does not cover contraception as part of its health insurance plans, the school's president defended Fluke on Friday.

Religiously-affiliated institutions, like Georgetown, oppose providing contraception.

While some Republicans argue abstinence as the best form of birth control, Fluke said legislation needs to be realistic.

"We're talking about national legislation. Legislation has to reflect reality, not ideology and I don't think that we can actually expect that American women are going to stop engaging in healthy sexual behaviors," Fluke said.

But the law student said women are not going to be "silenced" about the issue.

"They're going to speak up for health care needs and what this means to them and I'm certainly not going to be silenced," she said.

Also see:

Seattle Times supports Romney as 'default choice' ahead of caucuses

Paul flier hits the other candidates

Gingrich robo call labels Santorum 'union bosses' pal'

Michigan results provoke accusations, ire

Filed under: 2012 • Congress • Health care • Rush Limbaugh
  1. d

it's called freedom of speech, if it offends you don't listen. he can say what ever he likes if you don't like it to bad. get a life

March 2, 2012 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  2. peggy

Thank you Miss Fluke. Stand firm. Don't be silenced. Let the haters expose themselves for what they truly are. Women everywhere thank you. Be strong sister. Be strong.

March 2, 2012 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  3. Warren

I don't have access to a Porsche. Some people do. Am I not as important as them? Do I not have the same rights as them? I can't afford a Porsche on my own. Therefore, the government owes me a Porsche.

March 2, 2012 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  4. Anonymous

I love RUSH!

March 2, 2012 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  5. Bill Kirby

"For starters, I didn't say that I should be paid for anything. What we were talking about is private insurance covering a medical need. It has nothing to do with the government paying for anything or taxpayers or anything like that," she said. Since when are birth control pills a "medical need"? And who the hell does she think is going to pay for them if not the taxpayers? Fluke is a complete idiot. Would you really want her representing you in the courtroom? Oh, and I didn't hear her demanding that condoms be provided free of charge to her male partners. Why not? Isn't that discrimination based on gender?

March 2, 2012 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  6. kelly

go miss Fluke ! we are all the women and the all the good mans always standing beside you .don't let the idiot ,ass hole Rush limbough bother you .

March 2, 2012 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  7. Larry L

This woman represents what's good in the American spirit and Limbaugh everything sick and evil. Those of you who listen to this hateful swine are just as guilty. He has become fabulously wealthy by spreading lies and hatred and you lap it it up like dogs at a food bowl. Look in the mirror and share the shame. The modern conservative does not deserve the service those of us who defended America provided for your security. You are not Americans, and most certainly do not follow the tenets of Christianity. Jesus would be a Democrat.

March 2, 2012 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  8. Oldbull

Limbaugh gets more disgusting as he grows more and more irrelevant...this is the tactic of a desperate sub-human...

March 2, 2012 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  9. John

Limbaugh is nothing but a filthy P-G................. He has a sewer mouth.

March 2, 2012 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  10. stars

we stand with you keep fighting We are so proud you may god keep his loving arm around you as you go through thir storm.

March 2, 2012 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  11. Dave

I think everybody, rep, dem, foreigners, men, women, aliens (the outer space kind), believers, agnostics, athiests, etc all agree that Rush is a tool, and he so proudly and loudly proved it again!!

Feral Conservative – March 2/12 @ 5:45 pm – that was the best thought out comment (the point, not all of the content) regarding this whole HHS contraception mandate I have seen from either side of the arguement.

March 2, 2012 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  12. Obama Cares

Limp, just another fool who talks too much.

March 2, 2012 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  13. Michael from Ventura

The gop "leaders" are either afraid of rush, or agree with him and don't have the guts to say so. Either way- they gop is represented by total lunatics.

March 2, 2012 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  14. Phypcriticus

A nonpartisan observation: It takes a fool to latch onto a Linbaugh comment and make a political issue of it, whether pro or con.

March 2, 2012 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  15. clnee55

everything in the US is about money. Everybody wants to play but others to pay.

March 2, 2012 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  16. cj

Fluke is a fake. She is a 30 yr old fake student who knew GT did not provide contraception when she enrolled merely to make this "I'm a victim" claim. Furthermore, her $1000 claim would imply that she is giving it up +5 times daily. Why should I pay for it? That is not right or just.

March 2, 2012 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  17. cj

Additionally, since O has nothing to run on from his record, his reelection platform is contraception. This has all been carefully planned and staged. but CNN is too dull to pick up on it.

March 2, 2012 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  18. Graphiczar

Feral Conservative, did you even bother to read the story before launching your invective? Here, let me help you ... ninth paragraph into the story:

"'For starters, I didn't say that I should be paid for anything. What we were talking about is private insurance covering a medical need. It has nothing to do with the government paying for anything or taxpayers or anything like that,' she said."

Next time, please check your data. Thank you.

March 2, 2012 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  19. Franklin

Notice all the frustrated republicons who can't ever get with a woman spewing their hatred and venom?

March 2, 2012 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  20. best

Mr. oompa Limpbob needs to Rush to the gym, instead of being obsessed with women and their personal health needs!

March 2, 2012 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  21. jus-saying

Rush Limbaugh is an unintelligent and ignorant person! And he shows this my just speaking his mind without thought and only a one-sided- view- his own, which again is an unintelligent and ignorant person. If you support him than you and/or your company deserve to be shut-down too, because bashing, name-calling, and degrading Americans needs to come to an end in this Country! Maybe Limbaugh has Tourette syndrome, otherwise he’s just a jerk that will do and say anything for attention! It’s paying his bills, right?

March 2, 2012 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  22. tnfreethinker

Insanity...and he isn't even smart enough to realize that he is actually helping the cause. Way to go Ms. Fluke. You are doing all American women a favor, and I thank you for standing up for women's rights.

March 2, 2012 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  23. FACTS just the FACTS

Again I see these intentionally misleading posts about Fluke and those like her wanting "taxpayers" to pay for her contraception. I get my health insurance through my employer. I pay for it and my employer pays for it. Although, I notice now that cost shows up on my paycheck as taxable income. SO WHERE IN THAT IS THE TAXPAYER DOLLARS PAYING FOR MY HEALTH INSURANCE!!!! This is yet again a standard rightwing tactic. I don't want my tax dollars going for [fill in the blank.] Recall it was first about the religious freedom of the employer (Catholic Church) to not have to pay for something that was against their religious belief. But I guess that didn't stick – so they forget about the employer paying for it and now it is the taxpayer that is suppose to be paying for it.

March 2, 2012 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  24. Rico

Lol what a dumb ho-bag. She is 30, not 23 as was portrayed. She went to Georgetown with the intent to challenge their birth control policy. She is also claiming birth control costs $1000 dollars a year when you can get a months supply of the pill at Target for $10. Also, there is a free clinic two blocks from her school. She can afford a $50,000 a year school but not 50 cent condoms? Why the hell should someone else have to pay for this trust-fund baby's birth control? Should we be paying for her vacations next? She's an obvious plant and a hoe to boot.

March 2, 2012 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  25. Tool Radio

Eventally Limbaugh will choke on his own vomit. It's his destiny. Meanwhile he will never progress beyond radio jockey.

March 2, 2012 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |