March 2nd, 2012

Obama calls Sandra Fluke, Limbaugh kisses it off

(CNN) – President Barack Obama called Sandra Fluke Friday to offer his support to the law student who has come under attack following her testimony to a House panel in support of access to contraceptives.

"The president was expressing his support for her and his disappointment in the kind of attacks that have been leveled at her and to her and his appreciation for her willingness to stand tall and express her opinion," White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said at the White House press briefing.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

He said the president feels the personal attacks are "inappropriate."

"The fact that our political discourse has become debased in many ways is bad enough," Carney said. "It is worse when it is directed at a private citizen who was simply expressing her views on a matter of public policy."

Fluke was targeted by conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh on Wednesday, when he called her a "slut" and "prostitute" and again on Friday.

The conservative firebrand also responded to Obama's call with a kissing sound.

"Obama just called Sandra Fluke to make sure that she was alright, aw," Limbaugh said Friday. "That is so compassionate. What a great guy. The president called her to make sure she's OK."

Lawmakers on both sides of the aisle have weighed in on the issue. House Democrats rallied Thursday in response to Limbaugh's comments by sending a letter to House Speaker John Boehner urging him to condemn the statements, which to date has 80 signatures. Boehner on Friday called Limbaugh's remarks "inappropriate."

Several companies - including LegalZoom, Sleep Number, and Sleep Train Mattress - said in online postings that they were withdrawing advertisements from Limbaugh's program.

Filed under: President Obama • Rush Limbaugh
  1. PATTI

Sam...The pill has other uses than contraception...but as a man you wouldn't know that

March 2, 2012 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  2. Just a thought

How does any self-respecting person support a Rush Limpthong? Oh wait, as long as we have GOP/Tea-Tards, self-respecting will have nothing to do with. So the Rush has nothing to worry about.

March 2, 2012 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  3. Bonnie Moore

I want the list of Limbaugh advertisers! I will boycott anyone who seems to support him! The only way to get Limbaugh is through the pocketbook. Get enough people to do it and it works.

March 2, 2012 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  4. DaveInMass

Mr. Limbaugh is only aiding in getting Mr. Obama re-elected. It is a tragedy that our political discourse has sunk this low. We are angered by those who attack our country and we call them "religious fanatics" and yet we have our own. I'm a young 65 years old and a life-long Republlican. My first memory of politics is listening the the radio news about the election of President Eisenhower during the time my dad was stationed in Germany. I've voted Republican in every election since I could vote. That is, up until the last presidential election. For the first time in my life I voted for a Democrat for president. Why? I was in favor of Mr. McCain – but the thought of Mrs. Palin one heartbeat from running our country disgusted me.

If the current Republican candidates don't strongly condemn Mr. Limbaugh for his attack on a private citizen, I'll be voting Democrat again. Because the idea of a person who thinks their views are the only ones that matter is NOT my idea of the leader of my country.

My job (yes, I am not retired nor will I be for a while) takes me around the world. This is a great country. But I'm tired of being laughed at by many others when they question this country's intelligence. I apologize for the long post but I am just getting sick of what's happening here.

March 2, 2012 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  5. JB

CNN and the Liberal Spin alive and well. Why would any woman want to surrender control of her body to the government? Then there are you people on here commenting Limbaugh needs to "pull a Breitbart". So much for your so called "tolerance" you all spew on about. CNN is a joke. "Let's BOYCOTT ALL Limbaugh's sponsors" What a joke. Good luck with THAT. Here's some advice for your sniveling whining brats who are standing around with your hands out waiting for your government God to "give" you stuff. Stop whining about what you should be given and contribute something to society besides more Liberalism.

March 2, 2012 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  6. Larry L

I have been in the market for a replacement air bed and vacuum cleaner – seriously. I will now eliminate Sleep Comfort and Oreck from my short list of options to consider. It's a small statement for me to boycott the products advertised by Limbaugh but every little bit helps!

March 2, 2012 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  7. Marry

President Obama: compassionate, feeling, helpful, classy, smart, hardworking, effective, brave… All the many things the GOP/TP and their spiteful followers are not. Thank you Mr. President!

March 2, 2012 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  8. Lainie11

Can't believe it – posters treat this woman's immorality like it's an every day occurrence, that this is what university coeds spend their time on instead of academics. To take an act, meant primarily for the procreation of children and treat it like a bodily function such as a bowel movement or urination, is gross. For legislators (democrats) to invite this woman to speak is twice as gross. This goes to show what goes on in our universities.

March 2, 2012 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  9. MaryM

Keep talking Rush, give the last of the women vote to President Obama.
    Rush. You just insulted women and you are going to lose your sponsers just like Beck. You foul mouth man

March 2, 2012 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  10. rs

Well what do we expect? Limbaugh is more or less the official mouthpeace for the GOP. What he says is what they think. If that isn't the case, they had better reel him in.

March 2, 2012 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  11. Darw1n

As the progressive movement in our country continues to march forward the issues of social and economic justice, the fits and tantrums of fascists and conservatives grow louder and more infantile. Pretty amusing.

March 2, 2012 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  12. concernedjoy

I don't think Rush was right in his rude remarks about Sandra Flukes, anymore than I think the left was right in their constant crude remarks about Sarah Palin's children when she was running in the last election. Lets face it, the left does their fair share of attacks when someone disagrees with them. Still – that doesn't make Rush's remarks right. I agree, though, that the government has no right to dictate that a private business provide free services to anyone. And no right to make a religion go against their beliefs.

March 2, 2012 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  13. stayintrue

Rush went over board and should apologize. The president did the same. I wish he had shown the same level of respect and concern for Shirley Sherrod and called her before she was fired. His actions are a bit transparent, like in "never let a crisis" (or perceived crisis) go to waste. I guess he didn't see Sherrod as worth the time in terms of a career move.

March 2, 2012 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  14. fandog

It's just weird how each poster who supports Rush Limbaugh's position, and those of the Republican party, uses absolutely atrocious grammar. Please, figure out how to use an apostrophe and match your noun/verb usage correctly. If your subject is plural, then your verb must be too. Can you say hillbilly?

March 2, 2012 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  15. Taran

@Michael, I'm at a loss as to understand why republican politicians fear this man so much. Limbaugh drastically crossed a line. This isn't a close call. Any republican in a position of leadership ... any republican with a daughter who uses contraception should speak out against this ugliness.
    ------------------------------------------
    No, anyone with a daughter should tell her to keep her legs closed.

March 2, 2012 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  16. JUST SAYING

Rush Limbaugh is on his fourth wife...pot meet kettle...just saying!

March 2, 2012 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  17. fred

y no comments calling the girl what she is? she prolly dont even know the names of the fellas she sleeps with is this the woman america wants?

March 2, 2012 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  18. Frank V.

I wonder if Obama's called Sarah Palin to apologize for the reprehensible things she's been called by many of his staunchest supporters? Like those made by his million dollar supporter, Bill Maher? Gotta love the selective outrage on the Left.

March 2, 2012 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  19. Maggie

The embarrassment never ends.

March 2, 2012 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  20. Snerdely's Alter Ego

Go Rush Go! Your efforts to discredit Republicanism are going well! As the leader of your party, you must be proud to be driving them off the cliff – your every pronouncement further clarifies how totally irrelevant they are. You're like the fat trashy crudball in the back of study hall, messing it up for the serious students who want to get somewhere in life, you and all of your devotees – the Dittobaggers. There's a place for you in history – the Trash Bin!

March 2, 2012 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  21. mj

Let's make Insurance Companies pay for those who can not afford their Blood Pressure, Cancer, Diabetes and all other medications that will prevent them from enduring the same mental and physical distress this Law Student has by not having her contraceptives paid for. Since she is probably on her parent's Insurance, let them foot the bill! Sure they would be thrilled that their money is going to such a great cause.

March 2, 2012 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  22. Frank V.

Hey, fandog....read some the leftist comments above. Poor grammar/punctuation is rampant in this country, thanks to the failing school systems supported by this president and their unions.

March 2, 2012 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  23. Dr Knowitall

"access to contraceptives" This has never been about access, what a crock.
    You want them, call a doctor or go down to the corner pharmacy and break out your wallet !

March 2, 2012 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  24. Pilot

Rush better ask for a raise. I think his expenses are going to go outa sight.

March 2, 2012 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  25. steve

Boehner on Friday called Limbaugh's remarks "inappropriate."

Way to stick your neck out Boehner!

March 2, 2012 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |