Limbaugh apologizes for ‘slut’ comment
March 3rd, 2012

Limbaugh apologizes for ‘slut’ comment

(CNN) - Conservative radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh apologized Saturday for calling Sandra Fluke a "slut" this week after the Georgetown law student advocated for contraception coverage in a Democratic hearing.

“My choice of words was not the best, and in the attempt to be humorous, I created a national stir,” Limbaugh said in a statement on his website. “I sincerely apologize to Ms. Fluke for the insulting word choices.”

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Limbaugh made the original comments Wednesday, in which he also suggested Fluke wanted taxpayers to pay for her to have sex.

"What does it say about the college co-ed [Sandra] Fluke, who goes before a congressional committee and essentially says she must be paid to have sex?" Limbaugh asked. "What does that make her? It makes her a slut, right? It makes her a prostitute. She wants to be paid to have sex. She's having so much sex she can't afford the contraception. She wants you and me and the taxpayers to pay her to have sex."

President Barack Obama called Fluke on Friday to offer his support, while Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum labeled the comments as “absurd” and Ron Paul described them as “crude.” Mitt Romney said Limbaugh's words were "not the language I would have used."

But Limbaugh repeated his comments during his show on Thursday and Friday, even taking them further to suggest that women who accept free contraception should film themselves having sex so taxpayers could watch.

In his apology Saturday, Limbaugh said he disagrees with the notion that contraceptives should be covered under federally backed health insurance plans, saying he finds it “absurd” that Americans are “discussing personal sexual recreational activities before members of Congress” and argued taxpayers should not “pay for these social activities.”

But Limbaugh admitted Saturday his choice of words referring to Fluke were “wrong.”

“For over 20 years, I have illustrated the absurd with absurdity, three hours a day, five days a week. In this instance, I chose the wrong words in my analogy of the situation. I did not mean a personal attack on Ms. Fluke.”

Filed under: Congress • Health care • Rush Limbaugh
soundoff (1,459 Responses)
  1. Michele Maynard

I honestly thought he was incapabale of a sincere apology, but I am very pleased with his attempt.

March 3, 2012 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  2. Squigman

You need to do the same to the entire female population, not only in this country but the entire world. I'll bet your mother would have been ashamed, and embarrased by your comments. You also need to beg her forgiveness as well. Regardless, your show is toast, and hopefully your income will shrink in proportion. You need to be humbled.

March 3, 2012 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  3. sds

The man is a joke

March 3, 2012 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  4. Frank

I contacted three of his sponsors last night and so far two have responded. I personally and my family have black listed them all and will boycott them permenantly. It's sad that this guy has a voice. Truly tragic and un American indeed.

March 3, 2012 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  5. Roger Cotton

One day Limbaugh will choke on his microphone. What a big buffoon.

March 3, 2012 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  6. Ma Deuce

"His remarks set off a major outcry, prompting top Republicans and Democrats alike to denounce the famed talk show host." Really?? I haven't heard ANY "top Republicans" "denounce the famed talk show host".

March 3, 2012 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  7. slowson

Okey dokey Rush. I am sure your change is not a result of sponsors bailing out.

March 3, 2012 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  8. gt

about time....jerk..

March 3, 2012 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  9. Lyle

It's too late for a half-baked apology. After the way he slandered her, she should sue him. I'm sure there's a lawyer somewhere willing to take him on. Humour, even absurd humour, is supposed to be funny. This in no way was an attempt to be funny. It was an attack on a young woman's reputation.

March 3, 2012 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  10. cro-mag

It seems kind of unusual to me for a hired gun to apologize to the his victim after the shooting, but then again it's also kind of unusual for the ranchers that routinely hire him to do they're dirty work condemn his actions. I guess thats all part of that "Illustrating the absurd with absurdity".

March 3, 2012 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  11. Dee

"You meant every word you said Rush". Apologies on this one, unexceptable! Go away, do American women a "Big" favor. Gentlemen Americans Also!

March 3, 2012 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  12. 60's survivor

Limbaugh needs endless community service and work in the soup kitchens across the country. He is a dinosaur and a bully

March 3, 2012 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  13. Phattee

Now Rush will face the wrath of some of the angriest, most vicious people in the country: his listeners.

March 3, 2012 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  14. Wanderer

It does not matter what words one chooses, he is always what his word means. The meaning of his words is the product of his mind coming out via his mouth.

March 3, 2012 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  15. Triple A

As he should have because he is a nut case, Now get over it and move on.

March 3, 2012 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  16. Randy, San Francisco

It was no apology at all, not sincere or honest. Typical of Limbaugh to claim a poor attempt at humor as a talk show entertainer. Too bad so many in the extreme right believe the garbage of hate and vitriol that comes out of the mouth of this man. His misogynist diatribe directed at Ms. Fluke was clearly not an attempt at humor. It was an attempt to stir up the base emotions of his most ardent listeners.

March 3, 2012 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  17. Eiolgj

Would you trust this man now? I didn't think so.

March 3, 2012 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  18. Dave

She should sue him for slander...that should help shut him up...he's out of control.

March 3, 2012 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  19. radio77

I don’t want a press release let’s hear some “piety” from him on the air. So his millions of zombies can hear his words. I personally think the only reason he is doing this is loss of revenue.

March 3, 2012 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  20. Discernment

Dear Rush,

Too litlle, too late!

March 3, 2012 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  21. Dave R.

Apology ornot, he still said it and planted the seed. His dirty deed was still done.

March 3, 2012 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  22. Steve

Fool – you only apologized because your wife probably told you to. Stick to your guns – hatred, racism, narcissism, etc...

March 3, 2012 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  23. Heat2Hot

Limbaugh is pure trash and he can take this apology and shove it.

March 3, 2012 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  24. Independent from NH

Liar.

March 3, 2012 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  25. ArtInChicago

Yeah uh huh.

March 3, 2012 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59