Limbaugh apologizes for ‘slut’ comment
March 3rd, 2012

Limbaugh apologizes for ‘slut’ comment

(CNN) - Conservative radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh apologized Saturday for calling Sandra Fluke a "slut" this week after the Georgetown law student advocated for contraception coverage in a Democratic hearing.

“My choice of words was not the best, and in the attempt to be humorous, I created a national stir,” Limbaugh said in a statement on his website. “I sincerely apologize to Ms. Fluke for the insulting word choices.”

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Limbaugh made the original comments Wednesday, in which he also suggested Fluke wanted taxpayers to pay for her to have sex.

"What does it say about the college co-ed [Sandra] Fluke, who goes before a congressional committee and essentially says she must be paid to have sex?" Limbaugh asked. "What does that make her? It makes her a slut, right? It makes her a prostitute. She wants to be paid to have sex. She's having so much sex she can't afford the contraception. She wants you and me and the taxpayers to pay her to have sex."

His remarks set off a major outcry, prompting top Republicans and Democrats alike to denounce the famed talk show host.

President Barack Obama called Fluke on Friday to offer his support, while Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum labeled the comments as “absurd” and Ron Paul described them as “crude.” Mitt Romney said Limbaugh's words were "not the language I would have used."

But Limbaugh repeated his comments during his show on Thursday and Friday, even taking them further to suggest that women who accept free contraception should film themselves having sex so taxpayers could watch.

In his apology Saturday, Limbaugh said he disagrees with the notion that contraceptives should be covered under federally backed health insurance plans, saying he finds it “absurd” that Americans are “discussing personal sexual recreational activities before members of Congress” and argued taxpayers should not “pay for these social activities.”

But Limbaugh admitted Saturday his choice of words referring to Fluke were “wrong.”

“For over 20 years, I have illustrated the absurd with absurdity, three hours a day, five days a week. In this instance, I chose the wrong words in my analogy of the situation. I did not mean a personal attack on Ms. Fluke.”

Filed under: Congress • Health care • Rush Limbaugh
soundoff (1,459 Responses)
  1. KingKong

fat fuks are not allowed to hurl insults unless they go on a diet first

March 3, 2012 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  2. Ann

Hmmm....I guess it takes a public admonishment from the House Speaker and other Republicans as well as losing some ad revenue for Rush to back down and apologize to this woman, even though I'm sure he didn't mean it.

March 3, 2012 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  3. JD

LOL...like Rush really means it. He knew just what he was saying when he slandered Sandra Fluke. I have just one word to say to you Limbaugh: pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft!

March 3, 2012 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  4. jadoshush

And not a single fyck was given that day

March 3, 2012 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  5. Jeffrocious

Limbaugh is nothing more than a giant windbag. He is completely delusional, but people still listen to him. I understand he is in the entertainment business, but some people actually believe what he says as "fact and truth." This is very scary folks, and there should be some kind of disclaimer for his program. His program is actually worse than FOX claiming they are"Fair and Balanced." PLEASE, just tell the truth, stick with the facts, not Murdoch's contrived version of reality.

March 3, 2012 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  6. markiejoe

"Rush Limbaugh Is A Big Fat Idiot"

March 3, 2012 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  7. Copper's Donut Shoppe

No No America
    Do not let this POS off this easy.
    He is just afraid of losing sponsors.
    Don't quit pushing until he is off the air.

March 3, 2012 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  8. Kent Hartland

So perhaps we should all apologized to Rush Limburger for calling him a fat, brainless, inconsequential, irrelevant, self-aggrandizing, impotent, dim-witted, pathetic representation of the "conservative" (what the hell is he conservative about?), "religious" (yeah, right, wanna see a church fall down? Put Rush in it – if you can squeeze him through the double doors), "right" (what the hell is 'right' about ANYTHING this twit says? On second thought. Nah, leave it. He deserves EVERY negative, cruel and dead-on accurate terrible thing anyone could ever say to/.about him. What a pig and what an embarrassment to America. Eww.

March 3, 2012 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  9. Somebody said

Rush absolutely should apologize because his words were personal and mean. However, he is completely right about the absurdity of congress having to weigh in on the birth control controversy when our country is in REAL trouble!!! Georgetown Univ.'s policy on health insurance is exactly the way it's always been. If you don't like it, don't go there or get alternative insurance.

March 3, 2012 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  10. Bert Chamberlain

To whom it may concern: Insulting women informs me of the type of person you are. I am a veteran, I have a family, I am a Christian, I am a retired, I have the belief in forgiveness when a person means what they say. By stating the word choice was not appropriate means you could have used other another disparaging word to use in your context of a joke. I am not laughing nor forgiving. Bert Chamberlain.

March 3, 2012 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  11. jnpa

I don't think his apology was sincere. I am sure he was forced to apologize in order to keep his sponsors on his radio show satisfied. I heard two of them had dropped their ads on his show.

March 3, 2012 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  12. skytag

"My choice of words was not the best, and in the attempt to be humorous, I created a national stir"

What a fraud. I heard him. He was not trying to be funny. He's only apologizing because someone got it through his thick skull that those kinds of attacks are hurting the Republican party. The guy's a pig. The day he goes off the air with be a glorious day for America.

March 3, 2012 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  13. NavaJohn

Limbaugh with a "sincere" apology? Yeah, right. He's one of the most offensive people out there. A real look into the political right of these times.

March 3, 2012 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  14. bdh

hey rush....wanna go out for some double bacon cheeseburgers? i'm buying.....

March 3, 2012 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  15. guest

I guess that Mr. Limbaugh was concerned about having to hand over some of his $400 million of personal wealth to Ms. Fluke. She will no longer need to have anyone pay for her contraception.

March 3, 2012 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  16. CJPA

Hey, I have as good a sense of humor as anyone, but what that "pig" said was not in the least funny, nor was it meant to be. Almost like his mea culpa was meant to be an apology but didn't even come close. When is somebody going to get this gas bag off the air!! He is making millions with his hate and mean spiritedness. How can he sleep at night on his silk sheets??

March 3, 2012 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  17. Jim Fawcett

You damn well know that the only reason this trash apologized is because he was losing all his sponsors. He should be fired immediately and black balled from any media work.

March 3, 2012 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  18. Anonymous

This is an apology? No way. This is another insult.

March 3, 2012 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  19. naypeau

Rush Limburgerbutt should do more drugs because clearly he is hallucinating!

March 3, 2012 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  20. Alex Reyes

" I did not mean a personal attack on Ms. Fluke.” I guess this means Limbaugh was just trying to be "funny."

The worst thing about this incident is that Limbaugh speaks for far too many. . .

March 3, 2012 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  21. Blondie

Rush – too little, too late. I will not support any of your sponsors, EVER. You are a menace to society, and you should lose your job.

March 3, 2012 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  22. Ransh

So, the religions that receive tax payer money are ok? why should I pay for something I think is wrong?
    cut the tax benefits for churches (and other religions of course) and I'll let you have that contraceptive issue

March 3, 2012 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  23. Bessy

" My choice of words was not the best, and in the attempt to be humorous, I created a national stir,” Limbaugh said in a statement on his website. “I sincerely apologize to Ms. Fluke for the insulting word choices.”

That is not an appology. Give me a break ! Does this man think we are idiots when he says he was trying to be humorous. No way ! He is a liar and sees that he is losing sponsors. Keep it up America. We have to get rid of this fat slob who hates women.

March 3, 2012 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  24. cotton

this guy is a peice of crap

March 3, 2012 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  25. RETREAD

What was offensive CNN? WHAT

March 3, 2012 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59