Limbaugh apologizes for ‘slut’ comment
March 3rd, 2012

Limbaugh apologizes for ‘slut’ comment

(CNN) - Conservative radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh apologized Saturday for calling Sandra Fluke a "slut" this week after the Georgetown law student advocated for contraception coverage in a Democratic hearing.

“My choice of words was not the best, and in the attempt to be humorous, I created a national stir,” Limbaugh said in a statement on his website. “I sincerely apologize to Ms. Fluke for the insulting word choices.”

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Limbaugh made the original comments Wednesday, in which he also suggested Fluke wanted taxpayers to pay for her to have sex.

"What does it say about the college co-ed [Sandra] Fluke, who goes before a congressional committee and essentially says she must be paid to have sex?" Limbaugh asked. "What does that make her? It makes her a slut, right? It makes her a prostitute. She wants to be paid to have sex. She's having so much sex she can't afford the contraception. She wants you and me and the taxpayers to pay her to have sex."

His remarks set off a major outcry, prompting top Republicans and Democrats alike to denounce the famed talk show host.

President Barack Obama called Fluke on Friday to offer his support, while Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum labeled the comments as “absurd” and Ron Paul described them as “crude.” Mitt Romney said Limbaugh's words were "not the language I would have used."

But Limbaugh repeated his comments during his show on Thursday and Friday, even taking them further to suggest that women who accept free contraception should film themselves having sex so taxpayers could watch.

In his apology Saturday, Limbaugh said he disagrees with the notion that contraceptives should be covered under federally backed health insurance plans, saying he finds it “absurd” that Americans are “discussing personal sexual recreational activities before members of Congress” and argued taxpayers should not “pay for these social activities.”

But Limbaugh admitted Saturday his choice of words referring to Fluke were “wrong.”

“For over 20 years, I have illustrated the absurd with absurdity, three hours a day, five days a week. In this instance, I chose the wrong words in my analogy of the situation. I did not mean a personal attack on Ms. Fluke.”

Filed under: Congress • Health care • Rush Limbaugh
soundoff (1,459 Responses)
  1. alinnc

Rush makes his living (and a very good one at that) by riling up the no nothings of the right. He's not sorry for what he said. He says the same thing every time he goes on the air.

March 3, 2012 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  2. Buckhippo

True colors always shine no matter how much you apologize.

March 3, 2012 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  3. HM2455

Apologized in a statement???? Are you kidding me! He insulted her publicly on his radio show, he should apologize the same way.

March 3, 2012 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  4. chaz8181

What a pathetic man. and people are dumb enough to follow him..but remember ... you can follow him all the way to the bank but only he will be making a deposit.

March 3, 2012 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  5. hwy9

Real sincere, there, Rushbo.

March 3, 2012 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  6. deborah

Once a pig, always a pig ! That is the worse apology ever....He needs to go by the wayside with Beck.

March 3, 2012 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  7. indievoter

What an outrageous liar. The ONLY reason he's apologizing – he refused to do so the next day and then made even more insulting comments – is because his advertisers are deserting him. Limbaugh is a coward and a phony. And the Republican candidates (even Romney, worth hundreds of millions of dollars) are all afraid of him. The GOP ain't what it used to be...

March 3, 2012 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  8. Nodack

I'm sure he meant every word of the opology. PFFT!

The fact that some people believe anything this guy says is scary.

March 3, 2012 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  9. nike

What is the matter with GOPs, Can this set of people occupy nr.one seat in the world?
    6am you say one word,6,05am you stood by it,6,10am you say I am sorry.
    I do not know how 7bils people in the today will respect America.
    Is it the end of USA?. or kind of supper power pride?.

March 3, 2012 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  10. Sam Harris

Sorry, no. NO apology.

March 3, 2012 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  11. Orwell reborn

The money calculation kicked in; his agent banker must have called.
    Nazi marching in Skokie.
    Rush goose stepping on the radio.
    Not much difference, same ditto heads.

March 3, 2012 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  12. Sam Harris

TOO LATE AND TOO AWFUL....from a guy in Houston.

March 3, 2012 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  13. bigboxes

"I'm sorry I slandered you and don't care how crass I am as long as I'm making a point. I hereby promise that these apologies will come quicker so that my sponsors will not opt out of their contractual agreements with my media empire."

Sincerely, Rush

March 3, 2012 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  14. midnitejax

The only thing he is appologetic about is his loss of sponsorship. His reference of the discussion as "absurd" further demonstrates his lack of decency and his desire to put forth an alibi, rather than admit he was out of line and just plain wrong.

March 3, 2012 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  15. CBR

This apology is not acceptable. His actions and the tone of his voice was in no way humorous. At least he could apologize and let people know it was wrong. Again, Mr. Limbaugh will be forgiven by the Party that adores him.

Ms. Fluke has definitely shown she is the better person.

March 3, 2012 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  16. Funshy man

too late.you apologised b/c sponsors are begining to withdraw from your show. shame on you. you care about your pocket book alone.

March 3, 2012 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  17. Strange1

He must have lost a sponsor and someone in the GOP probably noticed it hurt the party. It isn't like he knows the difference between his own stupidity and satirical sarcasm. Why didn't Ann Coulter come to his defense? Oh yeah, she doesn't need contraception. How stupid of me.

March 3, 2012 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  18. Republicans are a waste of America times.

Keep the boycott on Rush Limbaugh sponsors any business that advertise with Limbaugh will put profit over decency. And that business will give bad service or a product the the public. We need to make Rush Limbaugh Show "Dead Calories" for Clear Channel Stations and ask the CEO to step down.

March 3, 2012 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  19. Charles

I usually don't agree with anything Mr. Limbaugh says, however, I think this shows he has the integrity to be objective of himself – and that I respect.

The number of politicians and public figures who refuse to back down from their statements, no matter how ill chosen they are, has always been disappointing.

March 3, 2012 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  20. alinnc

Should have said know nothings, although no nothings would apply to the GOP House and Senate.

March 3, 2012 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  21. concernedjoy

Rush shouldn't have made those comments, but finally did the right thing by apologizing. I'm sure many of those who respond to this will not acccept his sincerity in the apology, and those same people probably were not outraged at all when the night show hosts and others spoke so crudely about Sarah Palin and her family (and still do). Politicians expect such things, but it is usually off limits to go after their children (unless, of course, the politician is Republican). Crude remarks are crude remarks, no matter who they're launched at. So all of you who were rightly angry at Rush for his comments should be equally outraged at ANYONE (even liberals/Democrats) who act in this manner.

March 3, 2012 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  22. steve

"I did not mean a personal attack on Ms. Fluke."

Fat liar !

March 3, 2012 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  23. Errm

what's wrong, Rush? Losing too many sponsors?

March 3, 2012 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  24. cecilia

it should never have happened in the first place you blow hole – you are disgusting and vile and I will continue to call sponsors and ask them to drop you

March 3, 2012 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  25. Georgia

Too little, too late, Rush!!!

March 3, 2012 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59