Limbaugh apologizes for ‘slut’ comment
March 3rd, 2012

Limbaugh apologizes for ‘slut’ comment

(CNN) - Conservative radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh apologized Saturday for calling Sandra Fluke a "slut" this week after the Georgetown law student advocated for contraception coverage in a Democratic hearing.

“My choice of words was not the best, and in the attempt to be humorous, I created a national stir,” Limbaugh said in a statement on his website. “I sincerely apologize to Ms. Fluke for the insulting word choices.”

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Limbaugh made the original comments Wednesday, in which he also suggested Fluke wanted taxpayers to pay for her to have sex.

"What does it say about the college co-ed [Sandra] Fluke, who goes before a congressional committee and essentially says she must be paid to have sex?" Limbaugh asked. "What does that make her? It makes her a slut, right? It makes her a prostitute. She wants to be paid to have sex. She's having so much sex she can't afford the contraception. She wants you and me and the taxpayers to pay her to have sex."

His remarks set off a major outcry, prompting top Republicans and Democrats alike to denounce the famed talk show host.

President Barack Obama called Fluke on Friday to offer his support, while Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum labeled the comments as “absurd” and Ron Paul described them as “crude.” Mitt Romney said Limbaugh's words were "not the language I would have used."

But Limbaugh repeated his comments during his show on Thursday and Friday, even taking them further to suggest that women who accept free contraception should film themselves having sex so taxpayers could watch.

In his apology Saturday, Limbaugh said he disagrees with the notion that contraceptives should be covered under federally backed health insurance plans, saying he finds it “absurd” that Americans are “discussing personal sexual recreational activities before members of Congress” and argued taxpayers should not “pay for these social activities.”

But Limbaugh admitted Saturday his choice of words referring to Fluke were “wrong.”

“For over 20 years, I have illustrated the absurd with absurdity, three hours a day, five days a week. In this instance, I chose the wrong words in my analogy of the situation. I did not mean a personal attack on Ms. Fluke.”

Filed under: Congress • Health care • Rush Limbaugh
soundoff (1,459 Responses)
  1. Milky Pirate

Of course, this was all in the name of comedy and this was no way a personal attack.

Wait a minute, no I don't believe that considering that Rush's show is basically one personal attack after another and he considers himself to be America's moral authority.....I call shenanigans!

March 3, 2012 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  2. RodgerDodger

good, let him quit his national radio show, and i will accept his apology as genuine.

March 3, 2012 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  3. Informer3

I dissagree with 99.99999 percent of what Rush says. And I actually think we should have an option for government provided healthcare. However, with rising healthcare costs I believe contraception is a luxury that we cannot afford at the moment.

March 3, 2012 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  4. Informer3

Does this mean that we are paying for condoms for males too?

March 3, 2012 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  5. wowzer

It makes me sad that we have Americans that take Rush seriously and/or listen to him at all.

March 3, 2012 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  6. Newmoon2

Looks like El Rushbo had to eat some crow or look at ZERO sponsors for his little 'show'! Hope he enjoys picking feathers out of his teeth for a long time to come!

March 3, 2012 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  7. Informer3

Are we paying for Snoop Dogg to "have a pocket full of rubbers and his homeboys do too?"

March 3, 2012 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  8. sam9962

Limbaugh you meant every word of your attack on Ms Fluke. She did not deserve it. It was not an attempt at humor on your part and you know it.. I truely hope she pursues legal action for defammation of character because that's exactly what you did. My faith tells me to forgive so I will... but I will never forget!!!

March 3, 2012 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  9. Informer3

This bill is just catering to the politically correct feminist who feels like she should get everything free from society.

March 3, 2012 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  10. Ronen

oh please, please please, sue his tender behind, probably not so tender by now, but anyway. Don't allow him to get away with this.

March 3, 2012 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  11. longtooth

That's a good start. Now if Rush apologizes for his entire career, that would be a good thing.

March 3, 2012 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  12. john

contraception=murder. Rush was right he should never have apologized.

March 3, 2012 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  13. gary

I hope the women of this country have noticed that not a single republican candidate condemned Limbaugh. "Inappropriate" " Not the words I would have used" doesn'.t cut it.

March 3, 2012 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  14. paul

Never once found Rush to be funny. Mostly when I am confronted by the man, which is incredibly rare, because I can choose not to hear what he has to say, I am reminded of the Beatles song from the White Album called Piggies.

March 3, 2012 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  15. Anonymous

they fired don amus for his comments on msnbc i will bet that this goof will still be on air come monday whats diffrence you tell me this blowhard should go way of don imus be fired and forgotten but not fox they will probably give this old washed up radio guy an award

March 3, 2012 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  16. Ed

Yea right! Big fat mouth went too far this time. His advertiser supporters should pull out and if they don't then people need to write them and tell them they won't use their products. He is a LOOSER and is just plain gross. Nothing that comes out of his mouth is worth listening too and a waste of time. Lets not forget she is also an veteran. That is more than that fat slop has ever done. He couldn't pass the physical.

March 3, 2012 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  17. Anonymous

Wow. As much as I cannot stand Rush, I have to at least give him a respectful nod for acting like a grown up, taking responsibility and apologizing.

March 3, 2012 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  18. Majestic

You're not sorry, Rush. You simply found out that the money spigot would dry up if you didn't speak the "I regret" words.

March 3, 2012 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  19. CronoT

You know it's an iffy election year when the biggest "frothing at the mouth" talking head from the GOP side is forced to apologize for a statement he would have laughed off 10, maybe even 5 years ago.

March 3, 2012 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  20. CD

This wasnt an apology for saying it at all imo because if he was truly sorry he would would have said so long before now.
    What this really is imo is an act of desperation on his part because the public is holding him accountable and hes losing advertisers because of it.

March 3, 2012 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  21. Bertha59

So Limbaugh apologized...he was just trying to be humorous. Right. But he ranted on about Ms. Fluke for a couple of days saying the same thing...even after hearing criticism the first time. It was not until Boehner reprimanded Limbaugh. I do not believe for a second that the apology was sincere. Limbaugh has made so many outrageous claims and slandered so many people in the past that I believe this is in his genetic makeup. Maybe some genetic tweaking might make the man a nicer person.

March 3, 2012 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  22. Tish

I would love to stick something in his mouth that he would never be able to open it again. PIG! He hates this country and everything it stands for! Go away you slime ball!

March 3, 2012 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  23. Terry

Limbaugh is a loser. Four wives and no children. Guess his wives knew the value of birth control.

March 3, 2012 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  24. Mary Kay Audd

Rush never accepts responsibility for his mistakes. It's always everyone elses fault for not understanding him. Taxpayers should not have to pay for his access to the public airwaves. He should be banned from public airwaves.

March 3, 2012 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  25. Hu

Unless Boehner had to request an apology from him, I never will be 100% satisfied.

On the other hand, it is sufficiently satisfying.

March 3, 2012 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59