Limbaugh apologizes for ‘slut’ comment
March 3rd, 2012

Limbaugh apologizes for ‘slut’ comment

(CNN) - Conservative radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh apologized Saturday for calling Sandra Fluke a "slut" this week after the Georgetown law student advocated for contraception coverage in a Democratic hearing.

“My choice of words was not the best, and in the attempt to be humorous, I created a national stir,” Limbaugh said in a statement on his website. “I sincerely apologize to Ms. Fluke for the insulting word choices.”

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Limbaugh made the original comments Wednesday, in which he also suggested Fluke wanted taxpayers to pay for her to have sex.

"What does it say about the college co-ed [Sandra] Fluke, who goes before a congressional committee and essentially says she must be paid to have sex?" Limbaugh asked. "What does that make her? It makes her a slut, right? It makes her a prostitute. She wants to be paid to have sex. She's having so much sex she can't afford the contraception. She wants you and me and the taxpayers to pay her to have sex."

His remarks set off a major outcry, prompting top Republicans and Democrats alike to denounce the famed talk show host.

President Barack Obama called Fluke on Friday to offer his support, while Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum labeled the comments as “absurd” and Ron Paul described them as “crude.” Mitt Romney said Limbaugh's words were "not the language I would have used."

But Limbaugh repeated his comments during his show on Thursday and Friday, even taking them further to suggest that women who accept free contraception should film themselves having sex so taxpayers could watch.

In his apology Saturday, Limbaugh said he disagrees with the notion that contraceptives should be covered under federally backed health insurance plans, saying he finds it “absurd” that Americans are “discussing personal sexual recreational activities before members of Congress” and argued taxpayers should not “pay for these social activities.”

But Limbaugh admitted Saturday his choice of words referring to Fluke were “wrong.”

“For over 20 years, I have illustrated the absurd with absurdity, three hours a day, five days a week. In this instance, I chose the wrong words in my analogy of the situation. I did not mean a personal attack on Ms. Fluke.”

Filed under: Congress • Health care • Rush Limbaugh
soundoff (1,459 Responses)
  1. Mark Taylor

This guy speaks to the most ancient part of the human brain, the part we also find in reptiles. After the racial slur on ESPN, I thought his audience would come to their senses. That didn't happen. I was sure the drug abuse and prescription fraud would ruin him but people still tuned in. Now this. The only reason for the apology is because he's cost his clients millions of female independent votes in November and the ire of those who stand to lose big. Now is the time for Limbaugh fans to wake up and start using the higher functions of the brain. This man is a hateful charlatan.

March 3, 2012 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  2. Bob Dobbs

You've got to be kidding me. Since when is calling someone a profanity not a "personal attack"? Rush is not upset that he did this, but rather that it makes him (and the republicans for which he stands) look like idiots.

March 3, 2012 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  3. cindy

Bully-a person who is habitually cruel to, browbeats or intimidate others. Bullying is such a problem for todays youth, but yet, we have very public adults like politicians, radio personalities (most recently Rush Limbaugh) & others who openly bully others. We have bullying laws in this country, but yet, I have not heard of a single one of those mentioned above who have been charged with a crime! Do we wonder why our youth feel it is okay to bully & hurt others when we as a society accept this type of behavior out of adults? When is enough, enough? When will we as a society take a stand against this & be better role models for our children? I know I will get those who will argue Freedom of Speech-but freedom of speech should not be at the expense of others!! Mature adults voice their opinions without attacking others, our public figures should try this sometime!

March 3, 2012 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  4. DrDanno

This guy is just as much of a dooooshbag as Breitbart. He makes money from hate and discord. People who listen to this jerk are just as sick as he is.

March 3, 2012 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  5. They ought to change from the elephant to the hippo...

Guess he didn't like the reaction by the sponsors.

March 3, 2012 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  6. Rome

Bravo Limbaugh follow in our fearless leaders footsteps. Apology accepted.

March 3, 2012 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  7. izy

disgusting, typical conservative....

March 3, 2012 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  8. Andie Moen

Limbaugh's comments were highly abusive toward this woman and salacious in nature. Why any advertiser would support a forum for this disgusting man is beyond my imagination – Limbaugh should be ashamed and so should those to support his rants.

March 3, 2012 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  9. craig

“For over 20 years, I have illustrated the absurd with absurdity...." Well, he sure bot that right. Anyone who accepts anything he says is absurd. A brief moment of honesty before jumping back into the bottomless pit of slime wherein he dwells.

March 3, 2012 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  10. Prescription drug addict

It is not Rush who is apologizing, it is the withdrawl of advertisers that has forced this prescription drug addict to apologize.....don't get taken in with this idiot who went on and on and on for three days and once the money started leaving he woke up.....maan cannot see how any sane Huamn being (not just an American) can listen to this low life....

March 3, 2012 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  11. Proud member of "Global Zero"

He really didn't apologize. He lied about the testimony that Ms. Fluke gave and keeps harping on tax payers paying for birth control which isn't true either. Either way, I know after fighting for equal rights and pay for all women for over 50 years, I will vote in 2012 for my daughter and her daughters when she is ready to have children. I have voted in every election and every primary, not always the same party. This time, I am voting a straight ticket. Dems will get the house and keep the Senate and White House if my husband and I have anything to say about it.

March 3, 2012 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  12. Wonderland

This must be the other side of the looking glass, bizzaro world or I don't know where. The great, all knowing Rushie apologizes? It is a great step forward for such an immature character but I will still be surprised if he apologizes on the same forum that he started the insults. I have no intention of visiting his web site to read it so until I actually hear the words I intend on keeping his sponsors phone numbers handy.

March 3, 2012 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  13. Mark Scarpa

Too little, too late. Having a Wife, Daughter and Granddaughter of my own, I cannot tolerate his comments about Sandra Fluke.

March 3, 2012 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  14. Jude

rush, someday we all hope someone puts a bullet between your eyes and drags your ignorant body around while we all celebrate the end of your sad commentary which has been so destructive to our country.....i plan to apologize in a few days but in the mean time please make sure everyone takes my word seriously.

March 3, 2012 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  15. Namelib

this is not an apology this is said out of fear this clown will lose all of his sponsors as he should my daughter uses birth control pills to regulate her period which stopped for some unknown reason

March 3, 2012 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  16. John

The biggest story here is that people still listen to this idiot.

March 3, 2012 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  17. jalberg

I used to like Rush when he first aired before most of you were born. He actually made a lot of positive comments, and had good arguments looking at both sides of a subject. Gradually, and I'm not sure if it was the drugs or what, he became maniacal and angry. He now seems to be only about hatred and vitriol. I don't doubt he is a smart man, but I do doubt his ability to solve problems. I find Rush's best method of discourse is over talking and name calling. He often reminds me of a chubby little child sticking his tongue out at you with his fingers in his ears – saying I can't hear you. And you liberals seem to be emulating this behavior. Oh and by the way, Warren, I'm still waiting for you to write a check

March 3, 2012 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  18. Notreallysorry

The only reason he's apologizing is because his sponsors are dropping him.

March 3, 2012 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  19. Sidhu

Too little, too late. Your choice of words was not just 'wrong', it was plain evil. It's hard to believe that people actually listen to your rhetoric irrespective of whether they agree or disagree with your ideas. You hardly provide any meaningful insight or ever articulate well thought ideas, based on facts. It's a pity that you are popular among some naive Americans.

March 3, 2012 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  20. bressanvido

If Rush produced a comedy satire show such as "The Daily Show" or "The Colbert Report", then his remarks would be totally excusable. I give comedians a lot more leeway than Poltical commentators. John Stewart & Steven Colbert are funny even when they make fun of people that I agree with or even when I don't agree wth what they are saying. "It's Comedy". I have never found Rush to be funny. My advice to Rush is to leave comedy to the professionals & he is definitely not a professional.

March 3, 2012 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  21. ck

that is what happens when a person thinks they are invissible. I find him too opinionated and arrogant.

March 3, 2012 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  22. Ann

Are you kidding me??? Limbaugh spent the better part of the entire week ripping Fluke... and it only got worse as time went on. He has nothing to apologize about. He was spot on! I know this tentative apology is only buttering all of us up for his Monday show... just wait and see.

March 3, 2012 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  23. interested 48

Too little too late. He didn't just do it once. He has been defending his choice of words for the past few days. Apology not accepted by the women of America!!!!!

March 3, 2012 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  24. Dennis

I hope more advertisers pull their ads. Seems Limbaugh hids behind being a "entertainer" when he needs to justify his remarks, when in reality, he is nothing more than a bullhorn for the GOP and uses his radio show as a bully pulpit. It amazing how the GOP bows to this........

March 3, 2012 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  25. zimbot

RL apologizes because sponsors are pulling out, not because of any remorse.

March 3, 2012 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59