Limbaugh apologizes for ‘slut’ comment
March 3rd, 2012

Limbaugh apologizes for ‘slut’ comment

(CNN) - Conservative radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh apologized Saturday for calling Sandra Fluke a "slut" this week after the Georgetown law student advocated for contraception coverage in a Democratic hearing.

“My choice of words was not the best, and in the attempt to be humorous, I created a national stir,” Limbaugh said in a statement on his website. “I sincerely apologize to Ms. Fluke for the insulting word choices.”

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Limbaugh made the original comments Wednesday, in which he also suggested Fluke wanted taxpayers to pay for her to have sex.

"What does it say about the college co-ed [Sandra] Fluke, who goes before a congressional committee and essentially says she must be paid to have sex?" Limbaugh asked. "What does that make her? It makes her a slut, right? It makes her a prostitute. She wants to be paid to have sex. She's having so much sex she can't afford the contraception. She wants you and me and the taxpayers to pay her to have sex."

His remarks set off a major outcry, prompting top Republicans and Democrats alike to denounce the famed talk show host.

President Barack Obama called Fluke on Friday to offer his support, while Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum labeled the comments as “absurd” and Ron Paul described them as “crude.” Mitt Romney said Limbaugh's words were "not the language I would have used."

But Limbaugh repeated his comments during his show on Thursday and Friday, even taking them further to suggest that women who accept free contraception should film themselves having sex so taxpayers could watch.

In his apology Saturday, Limbaugh said he disagrees with the notion that contraceptives should be covered under federally backed health insurance plans, saying he finds it “absurd” that Americans are “discussing personal sexual recreational activities before members of Congress” and argued taxpayers should not “pay for these social activities.”

But Limbaugh admitted Saturday his choice of words referring to Fluke were “wrong.”

“For over 20 years, I have illustrated the absurd with absurdity, three hours a day, five days a week. In this instance, I chose the wrong words in my analogy of the situation. I did not mean a personal attack on Ms. Fluke.”

Filed under: Congress • Health care • Rush Limbaugh
soundoff (1,459 Responses)
  1. keithb

Word Choice and humor, unbelievable that he thinks people will believe that poor excuse for an apology! The apology is not sufficient! He must have lost a lot of sponsors. Pressure should still be kept on his sponsors so they do not come back.

March 4, 2012 12:13 am at 12:13 am |
  2. Joey Boots

Rush Limbuagh-drug addict, wannabe comedian. Why does anybody listen to this fool?

March 4, 2012 12:13 am at 12:13 am |
  3. Limbaughisrubbish

Limbaugh exemplifies the ignorance and arrogance that is dividing and marginalizing the United States. His reckless disregard for his fellow Americans is very dangerous and contributes nothing except further denigrating American society which is already in serious trouble.

March 4, 2012 12:13 am at 12:13 am |
  4. tcaros

Limpballs viewership has been steadily declining over the years.

Just like Howard Stern he sells hatred and sarcasm.

March 4, 2012 12:14 am at 12:14 am |
  5. joesixpackjr

CNN = Corrupt New Network. Bill Maher is more crude and insulting than Limbaugh any day of the week. But CNN invites him on regularly as a guest analyst. What's the diff, Maher or Limbaugh. Next time Maher insults the catholic church i hope CNN will press Obama who accepted a $million contribution from Maher to disavow and condemn Maher's remarks. But it will never happen because CNN is CORRUPT!

March 4, 2012 12:15 am at 12:15 am |
  6. tcaros

There will always be people to listen to his shock jock words, just like Sterno... but the truth be know it is starting to reach it's end and people will eventually stop listening to them both.

March 4, 2012 12:15 am at 12:15 am |
  7. janice

Hmmm...would Mr. Limbaugh have apologized if he wasn't losing advertisers over this. I think not?

March 4, 2012 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  8. ldn27

This guy is a joke! And a mouthpiece for the right, with their so-called 'values', religious and otherwise? Who do they think they're kidding?

Limbaugh = fat, ignorant, overpaid, loudmouth bully. Exactly the kind of image that keeps the rest of the world's opinion of America down in the gutter.

March 4, 2012 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  9. Don

Tried to be humorous, sheesh even when he apologizes he tries to minimize what he has done. The gas bag just got hit where it hurt most, right in the wallet. Well, it has begun now, no time to stop, it is time to get this malignant cancer removed from the radio and anywhere else this maggot tries to rise up. He may have finallly apologized for this, but think of all the rest this cancer has spouted from his malignant mouth. I say we keep the pressure up on his ads and keep whittling down his waller, maybe one day he may have to go out and find a real job.

March 4, 2012 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  10. joesixpackjr

There is a comment, but CNN censored it because it is critical of CNNs coverage of this non-event.

March 4, 2012 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  11. Don

Tried to be humorous, sheesh even when he apologizes he tries to minimize what he has done. The gas bag just got hit where it hurt most, right in the wallet. Well, it has begun now, no time to stop, it is time to get this malignant cancer removed from the radio and anywhere else this maggot tries to rise up. He may have finallly apologized for this, but think of all the rest this cancer has spouted from his malignant mouth. I say we keep the pressure up on his ads and keep whittling down his wallet, maybe one day he may have to go out and find a real job.

March 4, 2012 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  12. ElectricMan

Rush : I apologize to you, Sandra ! Truth is I was just jonsing due to lack of oxy. I get way out of line because I'm a hippo critical drug addict. I used to condemn drug users just like I condemned you. I am hoping Jesus will save me, but I'm not really sure I could even handle that. I'll shut up now, since even my own party thinks I'm crazy.

March 4, 2012 12:18 am at 12:18 am |
  13. humberto

How about someones underage daughter going for Aid to a government run abortion clinic, contaceptive unit or political preist counselor and their aiding and abeiting the minor while misinforming the parents thru their ommission of duty to deceive ?

March 4, 2012 12:18 am at 12:18 am |
  14. MBSeattle

He needs to be off the air. This was not humor but campaign to reduce Ms Fluke to a person without rights. Shame on the network that hosts such behavior.

March 4, 2012 12:18 am at 12:18 am |
  15. TransWarpDrive

Well, it's about time! I never thought I'd see the day when Rush Limbaugh would apologize to ANYBODY for the outrageous comments he made on the radio. Time was, any prominent Republicans would be apologizing to him for anything they said challenging his broadcasts. Now, after stirring up a firestorm of controversy over those nasty names he called Sandra Fluke – most of it coming from his fellow conservatives – Rush is the one apologizing – to all of us!
    Long overdue, if you ask me.

March 4, 2012 12:21 am at 12:21 am |
  16. BeverlyNC

I guess the loss of advertisers has suddenly awakened Rush's financial morality. What he said was not intended to be a joke. It showed his disregard for women, his total lack of comprehension of how birth control is used and the value it provides women beyond pregnancy prevention. The apology is hollow, insincere, and made only for financial reasons so it means nothing He still should continue to lose advertisers and listeners who are tired of his constant hate, lies, and crude behavior.

March 4, 2012 12:22 am at 12:22 am |
  17. Kenneth Koehn

I urge everybody out there to go to BOYCOTT NOW and get the list of sponsors for the Rush Limbaugh radio show. Then contact all the advertisers who have not pulled their advertising of his show.. Stand up strong and email me if I can support you doing this. Stay strong and don't back down.

March 4, 2012 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  18. love this country

He is disgusting everyday all day!

March 4, 2012 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  19. ma & pa

Limbaugh continues to equate contraceptive meds with frivolous behavior, with a derisive slant on reproductive activity, which is a very privite thing. Or, is he so repelled by it that he abstained during his marriages?

March 4, 2012 12:26 am at 12:26 am |
  20. Troy Thomas

How long are we going to put up with Rush Limbaugh. He should be fired for slandering this lady's good name. This is not the first or last time he has done this. He should be Don Imused!!!!

March 4, 2012 12:26 am at 12:26 am |
  21. PTBarnumboy

Everyone who's buying this line of BS please send me you email address or phone number – I've got a bridge for sail that I'm sure you'd love.

March 4, 2012 12:27 am at 12:27 am |
  22. Dubhly

The only reason he has attempted an apology is becuase backers are leaving his show. He does not mean it, but at least he was FORCED to say it. This man is an insulting moron, and a mouthpiece for the republicans. From what i have been seeing of the party in the past decade he is a good representation.

March 4, 2012 12:30 am at 12:30 am |
  23. VeryDave

Is it just me, or does he look like Jabba the Hut from the original Star Wars?

March 4, 2012 12:32 am at 12:32 am |
  24. Chuck Ladouceur

When is the Communication System in the US going to take this arrogant human off the air once and for all?

March 4, 2012 12:32 am at 12:32 am |
  25. John in Florida

Many a talk show host has been immediately fired for far less "wrong" words, which is a gross understatement of the shameful insults he hurled at this very articulate and obviously well educated woman. Any network which continues to employ Mr. Limbaugh would be foolish to allow him to remain, as I am certain advertising sponsors will pull their advertising in mass. Do the right thing Mr. Limbaugh - RESIGN!!!

March 4, 2012 12:32 am at 12:32 am |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59