Limbaugh apologizes for ‘slut’ comment
March 3rd, 2012

Limbaugh apologizes for ‘slut’ comment

(CNN) - Conservative radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh apologized Saturday for calling Sandra Fluke a "slut" this week after the Georgetown law student advocated for contraception coverage in a Democratic hearing.

“My choice of words was not the best, and in the attempt to be humorous, I created a national stir,” Limbaugh said in a statement on his website. “I sincerely apologize to Ms. Fluke for the insulting word choices.”

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Limbaugh made the original comments Wednesday, in which he also suggested Fluke wanted taxpayers to pay for her to have sex.

"What does it say about the college co-ed [Sandra] Fluke, who goes before a congressional committee and essentially says she must be paid to have sex?" Limbaugh asked. "What does that make her? It makes her a slut, right? It makes her a prostitute. She wants to be paid to have sex. She's having so much sex she can't afford the contraception. She wants you and me and the taxpayers to pay her to have sex."

His remarks set off a major outcry, prompting top Republicans and Democrats alike to denounce the famed talk show host.

President Barack Obama called Fluke on Friday to offer his support, while Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum labeled the comments as “absurd” and Ron Paul described them as “crude.” Mitt Romney said Limbaugh's words were "not the language I would have used."

But Limbaugh repeated his comments during his show on Thursday and Friday, even taking them further to suggest that women who accept free contraception should film themselves having sex so taxpayers could watch.

In his apology Saturday, Limbaugh said he disagrees with the notion that contraceptives should be covered under federally backed health insurance plans, saying he finds it “absurd” that Americans are “discussing personal sexual recreational activities before members of Congress” and argued taxpayers should not “pay for these social activities.”

But Limbaugh admitted Saturday his choice of words referring to Fluke were “wrong.”

“For over 20 years, I have illustrated the absurd with absurdity, three hours a day, five days a week. In this instance, I chose the wrong words in my analogy of the situation. I did not mean a personal attack on Ms. Fluke.”

Filed under: Congress • Health care • Rush Limbaugh
soundoff (1,459 Responses)
  1. Georgia Girl

All Mittbot could say was "I wouldnt have used those words." He is an idiot.

March 4, 2012 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  2. vote the Tea Party OUT in 2012

@ Bassman...
    perhaps when Sarah Palin apologizes for the role she played in the attack on Gabby Giffords. or when she admits that there were racists chants and call outs at her rallies. Hey we can do this ALL night if you want.

March 4, 2012 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  3. atroy

He should make his apology in person with Flukes parents present.

March 4, 2012 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  4. Alex Santana

I have stopped shopping at any of the advertisers who use Rush Limbaugh for their own greed. Shame on AUTO ZONE...I don't listen to Limbaugh and was disappointed and shocked that AZ advertised on Limbaugh. Even after this "fake" act of contrition, only after sponsors started to bolt, it is not enough.

I will not support ANY sponsor that I find is a past or current sponsor of Limbaugh. I have 57 employees, and my feelings are echoed by them too..they will pass this on to their friends, family etc...and soon, 57 is multiplied many times over. The only way to cut the hate of this man is to cut the snake's head off...and his show is only as viable as the money that pours in from advertising...if that is gone, so is he. Why doesn't his EIB network suspend him like CNN, MSNBC, FOX and others do? Why is he teflon coated? BYE BYE AUTO ZONE...HELLO PEP BOYS AND ADVANCE!!

March 4, 2012 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  5. Smith

This man depends on shock value to sell his goods. That is what he does. His opinions are usually offensive to others, and the way he expresses them tends to sound like we're in Junior High. Why he has an audience, I will never understand.

March 4, 2012 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  6. OregonTom

Rush must be on his dope again to go on a rant like that. Wow

March 4, 2012 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  7. OregonTom

He is a dirty junkie

March 4, 2012 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  8. CAL

Agree _ it was not an apology from this uneducated, misinformed, sorry excuse for a man. Thank the lord he has no daughters and i can understand why his ex-wives take to the wind.

March 4, 2012 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  9. paul

The advertisers have spoken. He should still be suspended or fired for over the top comments.

March 4, 2012 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  10. Name s kel

Come on now, leave the evil lying bigot right wing hate monger drug addict alone.

March 4, 2012 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  11. Name. Genesis

Poor and unsuitable language
    What can you expect from a individual who
    is not professional
    Sponsors should fire him – take the high road
    and move on.

March 4, 2012 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  12. Bozzieb

Love seeing Limbaugh eat humble pie. Take another bite, Rush, you deserve it.

March 4, 2012 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  13. Namemike

I did not see one favorable comment from those who read this article. I have to assume that those who support Rush, can't read.

March 4, 2012 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  14. zanny

who are the sponsors so we can call out for people to boycott them. I do not and never have listened to that baffoon!!!

March 4, 2012 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  15. Loren

This is totally lame. Posting a forced apology on a website over the weekend is not acceptable. Rush is an evil little man who peddles hatred to people that are unable or unwilling to think for themselves.
    Boycott his sponsors and contact them to let them know you will not buy their products until they cease their financial support of him. It is the only language he will understand.

March 4, 2012 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  16. carbonlib

WHY is he still employed? Imus was removed immediately....

March 4, 2012 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  17. Taby

I'm so fed up with these talking radio heads spewing hate and fear regarding the issue of birth control. BC is use for other medical reasons as well. Why should I let a man decide whats best for me? This is to Rush and his followers...."KICK ROCKS".

March 4, 2012 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  18. Jeremiah Cook

So, what happened here? Did Limbaugh have a moment of ethical clarity after coming down from a 2-day Oxycodone binge? This guy is as unstable as a nuclear reactor core starved of coolant, just before meltdown.

March 4, 2012 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  19. Richard

There's only one reason that Limbaugh apologized – and only one. It is due to his underwriting advertisers beginning to quit paying for his virulant rants. His advertisers quit paying for his show, and suddenly he's "apologetic"? Gimme a break...

March 4, 2012 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  20. luvUamerica

I am looking for who sponsors this buffon, and will not use, purchase. lease, us or buy any of the products that spnsors this idiot. I have a duaghter, and if it had been my duaghter, I would slapped this man silly! She should sue for slander. She also should sue sponsors of this idiot.

March 4, 2012 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  21. Rush Limbaugh is a big fat Idiot!

Rush Limbaugh is a big fat Idiot!

Too little too late, fatboy. If he were TRULY sorry, he wouldn't have doubled-down on his misogyny in his SECOND and THIRD attacks on Ms Fluke. At this point, he's only trying to stave off early retirement as sponsor run away from his and his bigotry.

Folks, make no mistake - Rush represents the REAL Republican Party. For years, he has said what they all feel, but were too afraid of the backlash to say it themselves.

I never listen to Limbaugh, but I will tomorrow so I can find out which products or service to STOP BUYING.

March 4, 2012 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  22. Rush Limbaugh is a big fat Idiot!

I heard the KKK, NAMBLA, and the Westboro Baptist Church are Rush's newest sponsors.

March 4, 2012 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  23. Pam

I agree that pressure should be put on the remaining sponsors & get this bigoted windbag off the air! He definitely should be held to the same level of responsibility that Don Imus was for his "unfortunate use of words".

March 4, 2012 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  24. jeannewantspeace

What is most shocking about Rush is that he HAS LISTENERS! Aren't we a bit ashamed that we have so many people that actually want to listen to him – and who BELIEVE in what he says? Can we kindly confront those people and ask them to stop listening? Garbage in garbage out. Fill your head with his horrible rude nonsense and lies and then you spout them yourself. If most people agree Rush is an idiot then what does that make the listener who supports him?

March 4, 2012 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  25. deblues

Let's call it for what it is: Rush "Big Mouth-Little Brain" Limbaugh apologized because his radio show has started losing sponsors, which means he and the network are losing money. He would not have done so otherwise; his history proves that. Let's look at Limbaugh: he's a junkie, a college dropout, a repeatedly divorced philanderer, and has a history of playing fast and loose with the truth. I can see why he's the Tea Party/Conservative movements spokesperson. He typifies all of their positions so well. Rush Limbaugh and his listeners and supporters are what is wrong with this great county.

March 4, 2012 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59