Bachmann on Limbaugh: Where's the outrage?
March 5th, 2012

Bachmann on Limbaugh: Where's the outrage?

(CNN) - Former GOP presidential candidate Michele Bachmann on Monday pointed to partisanship in the uproar over Rush Limbaugh's comments about a female law student, saying top conservative women face similar "vitriol" but receive far less attention.

"I have gone through myself, and experienced, more things said about me and I have never seen this level of outrage on the left about what left-leaning commentators said about me," Bachmann said in an interview set to air Monday on CNN's "Piers Morgan Tonight."

CNN LIVE:Go to CNN.com, and CNN Mobile for the CNN Election Roundtable, a live video chat hosted by Wolf Blitzer and the CNN political team, on Tuesday at 12 p.m. ET. Tune in this week for live coverage of the primaries on Super Tuesday on CNNPolitics.com, on the CNN apps and on the CNN mobile web site. Follow CNN Politics on Facebook and on Twitter at #cnnelections.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

The Minnesota congresswoman added that for a conservative woman, "it seems like there is no level of vitriol that's beyond the pale."

"I've been on the receiving end of it. We all know Governor Palin has been on the receiving end of it. You don't see this level of outrage," Bachmann said. "You certainly don't see advertisers cutting back."

Limbaugh apologized Saturday after calling the law student, Sandra Fluke, a "slut" and a "prostitute" following her appearance advocating for contraception coverage at a Democratic hearing last month.

His comments sparked an uproar of criticism from Democrats and Republicans alike, as well as a swarm of advertisers who pledged to take their business elsewhere.

On Monday, Bachmann said the main take-away from Limbaugh's comments was that people should be more careful in their choice of words.

"That's what we should learn out of all of this, is that on both sides, we want to pay attention to what we're saying," Bachmann said.

The full interview will air Monday night at 9 p.m. ET on CNN's "Piers Morgan Tonight."

Also see:

Poll: All tied up in Tennessee

Romney gets backing from key Republicans

Barbara Bush robo calls for Romney

Romney, Santorum tied in Ohio

Watch Piers Morgan Live weeknights 9 p.m. ET. For the latest from Piers Morgan click here.

Filed under: 2012 • Health care • Michele Bachmann • Rush Limbaugh • TV-Piers Morgan
  1. Bootstomper

Olympia Snowe retires and the GOP is left with the likes of Bachman and Limbaugh. Pathetic.

March 5, 2012 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  2. John

Yes it is all about you isin;t it?

March 5, 2012 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  3. Michael

The issue is that the comments made about Michele Bachmann and Sarah Palin, both public officials, were true. The fact that both of these woman stands behind Rush Limbaugh's comments, is a sad commentary on them as senior spokesperson’s for the GOP and as woman.

March 5, 2012 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  4. Malory Archer

No Randy, she's a private citizen who would have gone back to being a private citizen if not for the firestorm created by the right's hateful rhetoric. And while this may help his ratings amongst the mouth breathing misogynists, his sponsors are dropping him like the POS he is, which will hit his bosses in the pocketbook and they aren't going to stand for that for very long.

March 5, 2012 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  5. Jack

Give the poor woman a break–she's only trying to audition for Palin's job on Fox Noise. And BTW, thank you Sarah for having made a large contribution in reducing the GOP brand to "Damaged Goods"-what was Ailes thinking when he thought an idiot like you would explode the head of any intelligent person?

March 5, 2012 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  6. Woman In California

RandyIA wrote:

For all of the Rush bashers out there, I bet his rating have been up considerably, because everybody will want to hear what he says next. He will have no problem getting advertisers.

Sadly, this is true. I hope Rush is so overcome with emotion-that he hangs himself. One can only hope.

March 5, 2012 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  7. stayintrue

She absolutely speaks the truth. Maher, Matthews, Maddow, Olberman – the list never ends of those who have called conservative women much worse. What you dem/liberals don't see is that Rush had the grace to apologize after MANY conservatives asked him to. NOT ONE liberal would ask Maher, Matthews, Maddow, Olbermam – and all – would ever consider demanding a liberal commentator apologize to Ann Coulter or any conservative.

March 5, 2012 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  8. Bob

Michelle Bachman points out liberals demean her and call her nasty names...
    ....and liberals respond... by demeaning her and calling her nasty names..

March 5, 2012 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  9. Manny

How heroic: Michelle against the world. Keep on marching Michelle, don't worry, it's everybody else that is out of step, not you. What college/university let this idiot matriculate?

March 5, 2012 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  10. Wowsors

I'd vote for Sandra Fluke for President before I would vote for Michelle Bachmann for city council.

March 5, 2012 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  11. Suman

You are right Bachman, you do deserve our apologies. Not only for whatever we might have said about you. I would even go farther and apologise for whatever I might have even thought about you. I am sorry that I thought you were an unadulterated idiot. I am sorry that I thought you were contesting the Presidential election to collect funds for your future elections, because you knew you had no more chance of victory than, as they say, an ice cube in hell. I am sorry that I thought you were making money out of children with autism but were trying to show it as your love for children. I thought hundreds of wrong things about you based on actual videos and what I read about you. I apologise for all of them. Now that I have apologised enough, would you like to ask the dirty old man also to apologise to that innocent girl whom he hurt so much wantonly for three long days and not justify it citing alleged wrongdoing by others?

March 5, 2012 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  12. jeff

So instead of praising the outrage and defending her gender, it's all about poor bachmann and the meanie left-leaning media. And these dopey neocons wonder why their party is on the fringes of oblivion.

March 5, 2012 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  13. Pat

Is there a full moon tonight? LOL Michelle the new GOP gift that keeps on giving.

March 5, 2012 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  14. Nova703

I never listen to Rush Limbaugh. Please tell me who his advertisers are so I can boycott them.

March 5, 2012 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  15. Kenny K

The problem is that Limbaugh insulted somebody who is not in politics or media.

March 5, 2012 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  16. Slightly Left of Center

Oh, good grief. Is this woman kidding? If she were really comparing apples to apples and had been in Ms. Fluke's shoes, she would know how it feels, say it was absolutely vile, and support her! Instead....whining about the poor, poor 'victim', Michelle.

March 5, 2012 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  17. Jim

She should take her own advise and "pay attention to what we're saying" and pay attention to what she has just said.

March 5, 2012 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  18. king james bible

King james bible

March 5, 2012 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  19. Shannon

where are the examples Michele, everytime a liberal commentator has said anything, they have been suspended, fired, or forced to apologize, once again the good Christian is lying.

March 5, 2012 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  20. sarah

I'm sure there were plenty of small fry in both parties calling names. But people who are actually listened to are the ones who need to be the most careful.

March 5, 2012 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  21. Mike

The difference Michelle is that the things Rush said about that girl are bold face lies.

March 5, 2012 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  22. Jadugara

The answer to Bachmann's question is,..."Because the rhetoric coming from her side of the political fence is so extreme that most people no longer have mercy for her or those like her anymore, and thus, obviously don't care when angry people sling mud in her eye... If she were someone who's actions and intents inspired empathy, then there would be outrage for her sake...

There was none, so obviously she is someone who doesn't deserve it...

There is outrage against Rush on this issue, because he deserves it, and because his victim didn't deserve his attack against her...

March 5, 2012 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  23. MaxNatoma

I don't recall any commentators calling Shelley the names Limbaugh called Sandra Fluke.

March 5, 2012 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  24. manyote

Yes Michelle, I agree. But the difference here is that it's true what they say about you.

March 5, 2012 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  25. Nick San Diegon

Tell me Mrs Bachman, just what has been said about you and Palin ? I just can;t seem to remember anything as vile as what Rush said.
    , or even come close. So please remind me.

March 5, 2012 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |