‘Joe the Plumber’ wins GOP primary in Ohio
March 7th, 2012

‘Joe the Plumber’ wins GOP primary in Ohio

(CNN) – Samuel Wurzelbacher, better known as "Joe the Plumber," won Tuesday's Republican primary in Ohio's 9th Congressional District, according to unofficial vote results from the Ohio Secretary of State.

With 100% of precincts reporting, Wurzelbacher bested opponent Steven Kraus to become the GOP nominee and will face Democratic Rep. Marcy Kaptur, the longest serving woman in the House of Representatives, in the fall.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Kaptur defeated longtime Rep. Dennis Kucinich in a closely-watched Democratic primary Tuesday that pitted the two incumbents against each other after the state redrew its lines in a redistricting battle.

Wurzelbacher rose to GOP fame in 2008 when he challenged then-presidential candidate and Sen. Barack Obama over his small business tax plan.

The confrontation quickly became a popular anecdote in the presidential election and was frequently used as a campaign message by then-Republican presidential candidate and Sen. John McCain and his then-running mate and Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.

The plumber-turned-celebrity has since capitalized on his popularity by writing a book and making media and campaign appearances.

Filed under: 2012 • Congress • House • Joe the plumber • Ohio
  1. Tired of republican lies

Here we go with another mooch...Haven't we learned yet???? Joe the plummber?...give me a friggin break...People are getting so dumbed down..it's not funny anymore...smdh

March 7, 2012 02:59 am at 2:59 am |
  2. Klondike Bar

Really, Ohio republicans??? This is sumbody who you would have represent you in DC? The guy is a proven liar AND fake and you still voted for him. What am I saying, he's perfect to represent the modern day GOP. just ask Flip Money, I mean Mit Romney.

March 7, 2012 03:00 am at 3:00 am |
  3. Samuel J. Wurzelbacher

Yay, with my new job, maybe I can pay off my back taxes and buy that small business I always dreamed about!

March 7, 2012 03:01 am at 3:01 am |
  4. klangster

this guy is the dumbest republican out there, he makes Sarah Palin and Rick Perry look like they are smart enough to be allowed to out of the house by themselves.

March 7, 2012 03:02 am at 3:02 am |
  5. Iamnotfooled

Why am I not surprised? LOL.

March 7, 2012 03:03 am at 3:03 am |
  6. marginwalker

You've got to be kidding me! This guy is not qualified to be in congress...

March 7, 2012 03:04 am at 3:04 am |
  7. roy

Joe the plumber is loser, this clown has not one idea of what it's going to take to hold a politial office...

March 7, 2012 03:10 am at 3:10 am |
  8. Michael Brian Bentley

The section called From around the web looks like a collection of news articles when in fact they are advertisements. I would appreciate it if they were properly labelled as such, because they most certainly are not as I look at them in this instance.

March 7, 2012 03:13 am at 3:13 am |
  9. OrangeW3dge

I was just asking the wife where did Joe the Plumber go?
    I always suspected there was some ulterior motive with this guy. Now you know...

March 7, 2012 03:14 am at 3:14 am |
  10. Just Me

LOL. Only in America. For better or for worse.

March 7, 2012 03:38 am at 3:38 am |
  11. tylenol666

Spoken Like a true Plumber who will try to fix it 5 times before the seventh is right,,, thank you media for shapin our lives! i couldnt use the other word so I used "thank" replace it with whats truly appropriate

March 7, 2012 03:57 am at 3:57 am |
  12. don in albuquerque

Did he ever pay the tax's he was behind on? This is totally insane.

March 7, 2012 03:57 am at 3:57 am |
  13. Your Panties

My salutes go out to Samuel Wurzelbacher. I am volunteering to "take care" of his wife while he is busy.

March 7, 2012 03:57 am at 3:57 am |
  14. mmi16

15 minutes of fame

March 7, 2012 04:06 am at 4:06 am |
  15. DUDE

I need a plumber in my house but I would never trust that baldy. I'd rather hire alex BALDwin playing a bald plumber!

March 7, 2012 04:27 am at 4:27 am |
  16. DUDE

Wanna get high? I'm so high

March 7, 2012 04:28 am at 4:28 am |
  17. Chedar

America! You are a big joke!

March 7, 2012 04:37 am at 4:37 am |
  18. Mike

What does this say about the GOP when an improperly licensed plumber rises to the top only because he was rude?

March 7, 2012 04:39 am at 4:39 am |
  19. jboh

Not really Joe, not really a lumber, worried about the higher taxes he'll pay on the $250K+ income he'll never make, at a plumbing company he'll never own, because he never put forth the time and effort to learn to be a real plumber.

March 7, 2012 04:41 am at 4:41 am |
  20. VA4DDY

Hilarious but tragic, too. When are Repubs going to self assess and see that their party has scraped bottom and abandon it? I couldn't be associated with this crowd of clowns from this guy to Palin, Bachman, Perry, Santorum, McDonnell, Graham, Cantor, Rubio, Janet what's her name in AZ,, Dubya, etc.

March 7, 2012 04:42 am at 4:42 am |
  21. Cas

The GOP might as well bring forward a brain damaged fainting goat here....it is just comically ridiculous, are these people serious?!!!!!!!!

March 7, 2012 04:45 am at 4:45 am |
  22. shazaam

I'm not sure it gets any funnier than this. Well, unless he gets elected in which case the joke's on Ohio.

March 7, 2012 04:53 am at 4:53 am |
  23. David

Anyone else hear the circus music?

March 7, 2012 05:00 am at 5:00 am |
  24. Chris

*blankstare*

March 7, 2012 05:02 am at 5:02 am |
  25. AMERICA 1st

Congratulations to Joe the Plumber on his win in Ohio. I hope u win in november!

March 7, 2012 05:22 am at 5:22 am |