Palin votes for Gingrich
March 7th, 2012

Palin votes for Gingrich

(CNN) - After playing coy in an interview with CNN's Paul Vercammen Tuesday night, Sarah Palin revealed on Fox Business Network that she voted for Newt Gingrich in Alaska's caucuses on Tuesday.

"Newt is whom I chose up here in Alaska to best represent the ideas that many Alaskans want to see, the preferred presidential candidate in this area. That's who I cast my vote for," Palin said.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Earlier Tuesday, the former Alaska governor was interviewed by CNN shortly after she voted at a caucus site in Wasilla, but refused to say who she picked in the state's contest.

But later in the evening, she had an apparent change of heart when asked about her vote by Neil Cavuto on Fox Business Network.

"I knew you were going to ask me that, and I am just the poorest, politician-sounding pundit. It is tough for me to spin out of a question like that when it comes from a Fox reporter. If it comes from another reporter, I can spin out of it. But since it came from you, I will tell you, I won't sound like a politician and I will tell you who I voted for tonight."

Palin's husband, Todd, endorsed Gingrich in January, and the former governor made headlines shortly before South Carolina's primary when she urged voters to turn out for the House speaker in order to defeat Romney and keep to nominating process going.

Referring to him as "the cheerful one," a label Gingrich gave himself during CNN's Arizona debate last month, Palin said she appreciates "what he has stood for."

"He has been the underdog in many of these primary races and these caucuses. My preference tonight was for the cheerful one," Palin said.

She added that her husband was an independent and did not vote in the Republican contest on Tuesday.

Palin ran as Republican Sen. John McCain's running mate in the 2008 presidential election. While McCain is now backing Mitt Romney, Palin said she would support Romney if he were to secure the nomination.

"If Romney is the nominee, I hope I get to stand side by side with John McCain, whom I do respect, stand side by side with him in supporting Romney as our nominee," Palin said.

Also see:

Santorum hits Romney as 'weakest candidate'

CNN Poll: Catholic support for Romney crucial in Ohio

Anchorage snow damages GOP caucus site

Santorum fires back at Obama over Israel claim

Filed under: 2012 • Newt Gingrich • Sarah Palin
  1. Stephanie

Keep the contest going, Palin! Your nominee won't be cheerful in November and neither will your party. It is clear you are projecting onto Obama exactly what is intolerable to accept about your GOP: GOP policies are what created the mess we have been in and have mistreated the disenfranchised and disadvantaged- including women! You should be condemning Limbaugh and ALL of the candidates for not having the courage to condemn Limbaugh's attack. But then again, you didnt have the courage to finish your governorship and choose to capitalize on your new reality instead. Shameful.

March 7, 2012 01:26 am at 1:26 am |
  2. Thomas

A Palin – Gingrich ticket would assure America a moon colony !

Woman are from the Moon , Men are from Mars 2012

March 7, 2012 01:29 am at 1:29 am |
  3. guest

Looks like she's just as out of touch with her own state as she is with the rest of the world.

March 7, 2012 01:33 am at 1:33 am |
  4. buckup

Let the quitter lead us. Palin-2012

March 7, 2012 01:36 am at 1:36 am |
  5. sandy

Who gives a rip who she votes for. She is as dumb as a box of rocks

March 7, 2012 01:37 am at 1:37 am |
  6. DHM

Keep on talking, Sarah. Keep right on talking.

March 7, 2012 01:37 am at 1:37 am |
  7. CedarRapids

"On Tuesday, Palin said Gingrich was best equipped to "bust through that radical left dispensation and desire to mistreat those who are defenseless, mistreat those who have disadvantages."

jeez, how does this woman sleep at night after she can spout this nonsense?

March 7, 2012 01:38 am at 1:38 am |
  8. bp

Palin again suffering one of her periodic bouts of publicity deprivation. When the going gets tough, the tough quit halfway through their first term and then talk about how they could have done better than those who didn't quit.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.” – Teddy Roosevelt

March 7, 2012 01:38 am at 1:38 am |
  9. Jo7n77

Oh she wants to extend her 15 min of fame. A smart person would be embarrassed if Palin endorsed them Then again she's talking about Gingrich who want's to build a moon base & thinks he can get gas down to $2 a gallon.

March 7, 2012 01:49 am at 1:49 am |
  10. Sean

"the preferred presidential candidate in this area"

Too bad the current tally has Gingrich LAST in this caucus with CNN estimating 66% of he vote in. So out of touch, Palin.

March 7, 2012 01:50 am at 1:50 am |
  11. Michael Golden

Sarah, get a job.

March 7, 2012 01:53 am at 1:53 am |
  12. Really ???

Im not a huge Newt fan, but I would support him if he got the nomination. Let's face it, true conservatives scare the independents. That's why Romney has the best chance against the President in the general election. Give him 4 (hopefully 8) years and let America get used to a progressive republican so that we have a better shot at a more conservative candidate in 2016 or 2020.

March 7, 2012 01:55 am at 1:55 am |
  13. fkoffpalin

Please dont let palin make you think us alaskans want gingrich.... really Palin who follows your psycho babble. You're a quitter, yeah abandoned your post. nice1

March 7, 2012 01:55 am at 1:55 am |
  14. JP

She voted Gingrich only because she knows he will not make it. She wants a stalemate and boost her chances in a open convention. It is really getting exciting.

March 7, 2012 02:02 am at 2:02 am |
  15. Nancy M.

Translation: If it comes from anything but a fox reporter, I can't answer the question. And, You are sounding like a politician!" And a poor politician at that...

March 7, 2012 02:03 am at 2:03 am |
  16. judith

Palin picks Newt,,,his poll numbers and her IQ are now the same..... 15
    egad what has this country come to!

March 7, 2012 02:04 am at 2:04 am |
  17. JP

Palin said Gingrich is the best for Alaska but only 15% of Alaskans think so. What a disconnect she has with Alaskans.

March 7, 2012 02:08 am at 2:08 am |
  18. John Craig

one loser backing another. Or to be more precise, a quitter backing a candidate who was essentially thrown out of congress. Does this idiot know nothing of history? Well, when tou can see the Ruskis coming from your back porch, don't leave much time fer readin 'n such. Sorry for you Alaska

March 7, 2012 02:09 am at 2:09 am |
  19. Dixie Independent voter

Newt has received the kiss of death.

March 7, 2012 02:18 am at 2:18 am |
  20. Anonymous

Speaking as an Alaskan, and as a republican, I can say that Sarah doesn't speak for Alaskans anymore. She lost the right to that half way through her term when she quit. And as for Newt, I don't want anything he has to offer. He's a serial cheater and a fraud.

March 7, 2012 02:25 am at 2:25 am |
  21. Phil

Please go away Sarah... Please?

March 7, 2012 02:25 am at 2:25 am |
  22. JoeC3

Just goes to show how far out of touch she is even in her own state. She has no clue.

March 7, 2012 02:26 am at 2:26 am |
  23. Anthony... proud tax payer

1. Palin doesn't matter.
    2. Newt doesn't matter.
    3. I'm waiting for a GOP debate between Rush and Sarah.

March 7, 2012 02:27 am at 2:27 am |
  24. Nemodog

Speaking as an Alaskan who is also a republican, Sarah doesn't speak for Alaskans. She lost that right when she quit half way through her term, violating her oath. And as for Newt, he's a serial cheater and a slug. The nominating process is cheaper because of that fool.

March 7, 2012 02:28 am at 2:28 am |
  25. v1ze

Atta girl, way to stick that nail in the coffin.

March 7, 2012 02:31 am at 2:31 am |