Palin votes for Gingrich
March 7th, 2012

Palin votes for Gingrich

(CNN) - After playing coy in an interview with CNN's Paul Vercammen Tuesday night, Sarah Palin revealed on Fox Business Network that she voted for Newt Gingrich in Alaska's caucuses on Tuesday.

"Newt is whom I chose up here in Alaska to best represent the ideas that many Alaskans want to see, the preferred presidential candidate in this area. That's who I cast my vote for," Palin said.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Earlier Tuesday, the former Alaska governor was interviewed by CNN shortly after she voted at a caucus site in Wasilla, but refused to say who she picked in the state's contest.

But later in the evening, she had an apparent change of heart when asked about her vote by Neil Cavuto on Fox Business Network.

"I knew you were going to ask me that, and I am just the poorest, politician-sounding pundit. It is tough for me to spin out of a question like that when it comes from a Fox reporter. If it comes from another reporter, I can spin out of it. But since it came from you, I will tell you, I won't sound like a politician and I will tell you who I voted for tonight."

Palin's husband, Todd, endorsed Gingrich in January, and the former governor made headlines shortly before South Carolina's primary when she urged voters to turn out for the House speaker in order to defeat Romney and keep to nominating process going.

On Tuesday, Palin said Gingrich was best equipped to "bust through that radical left dispensation and desire to mistreat those who are defenseless, mistreat those who have disadvantages."

Referring to him as "the cheerful one," a label Gingrich gave himself during CNN's Arizona debate last month, Palin said she appreciates "what he has stood for."

"He has been the underdog in many of these primary races and these caucuses. My preference tonight was for the cheerful one," Palin said.

She added that her husband was an independent and did not vote in the Republican contest on Tuesday.

Palin ran as Republican Sen. John McCain's running mate in the 2008 presidential election. While McCain is now backing Mitt Romney, Palin said she would support Romney if he were to secure the nomination.

"If Romney is the nominee, I hope I get to stand side by side with John McCain, whom I do respect, stand side by side with him in supporting Romney as our nominee," Palin said.

Also see:

Santorum hits Romney as 'weakest candidate'

CNN Poll: Catholic support for Romney crucial in Ohio

Anchorage snow damages GOP caucus site

Santorum fires back at Obama over Israel claim

Filed under: 2012 • Newt Gingrich • Sarah Palin
  1. tykl

Are there any English majors out there who might grammar map this sentence for us?

March 7, 2012 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  2. PM Ohio

1. An act or instance of dispensing; distribution.
    2. something that is distributed or given out.
    3. a certain order, system, or arrangement; administration or management.
    4. Theology .
    a. the divine ordering of the affairs of the world.
    b. an appointment, arrangement, or favor, as by God.
    c. a divinely appointed order or age: the old Mosaic, or Jewish, dispensation; the new gospel, or Christian, dispensation.
    5. a dispensing with, doing away with, or doing without something.

Isn't #4 the very definition of the radical religious right? Isn't it the liberals and Democrats who are the only ones fighting for the poor and uderprivledged? Isn't it the right wing mantra to get rid of all "entitlement" programs? It sounds like she is too dumb to realize she is a closet liberal from her comments.

March 7, 2012 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  3. acura2010

Sarah Palin does not represent Americans, this is the absolute truth.

March 7, 2012 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  4. Tree

This is all BULL , they think that we are really dump. We know what she and he is doing. To stay in the race so RICK the SICK will not get it and Unfitt Mitt will win. Some of us are smarter than you think Palin and Newt. This is all a game and the game will end in Nov 2012. Unfit Mitt can not see beyond his nose. If people really going to vote for him because they just dont like Obama is crazy. Tell me one thing that you like about Mitt? You can't he is a business man and our country is not Business.

March 7, 2012 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  5. Sergio D. Monterroso

This may be the reason why he lost in Alaska!

March 7, 2012 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  6. M. Night

Maybe I'm too used to twist endings, but prediction time. Paul lays on heavy criticism of Santo, leading to Gingrich wins in the south soon, keeping it mainly a 3 man race. It bounces around more, grinding slowly and viciously towards the convention until Paul announces that he's bowing out of the GOP race and surprises everyone with a third party run shortly thereafter, labeling it as being under the 'Tea Party', allowing him to take center stage while the GOP nomination drags out into a brokered convention. November comes and by drawing votes from the youth and disaffected Dems from Obama and fiscal conservatives and Tea partiers from Mitt/Santo/Grinch, becomes the first 3rd party candidate to win the Presidental Election. Well, at least that would explain why Paul is so calm while in last place and the rest are sweating.

March 7, 2012 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  7. asdf

"If it comes from another reporter, I can spin out of it." – Funny, then, that you don't make media appearances outside of Fox News' friendly turf.

Gringrich/Palin 2012? Might as well be a Tweedle-Dee/Tweedle-Dum ticket.

March 7, 2012 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  8. Mitt

Poor Gingrich! He is going to lose so miserably! There goes his pipe dream of building colony on moon right into the Pacific Ocean next to Alaska!

March 7, 2012 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  9. Joe from CT, not Lieberman

Waitaminit! I thought she moved to Arizona to be nearer to her hero, Sheriff Joe! What is she doing caucusing in Alaska? Talk about carpetbagging.

March 7, 2012 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  10. Tom

Sure sounds like a politician to me. What a loser. A loser who voted for a loser. But then again, cheating on wives seems like the type of values Sarah has instilled on her children, look at her unwed teenage daughter who has a child and is probably, now, on birth control.

March 7, 2012 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  11. Mike - Dallas

God, it's been too long since I've heard her meaningless rambling... allow me to translate Palinese to English:

Palinese: "Newt is whom I chose up here in Alaska to best represent the ideas that many Alaskans want to see, the preferred presidential candidate in this area. That's who I cast my vote for,"

English: "I voted for Gingrich."

March 7, 2012 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  12. WTF-Maine

She's still stupid but still good looking. Her pick – Gingrich – got a handfull of votes in her state and came in dead last. I guess she doesn't have much influence in Alaska nor anywhere else.

March 7, 2012 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  13. chuck

Who's Palin?

March 7, 2012 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  14. realitybites

Wow! She was in Alaska to vote?

March 7, 2012 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  15. once upon a horse

so MS. Palin the "born again Christian:" suppotrs a candidate that not only cheated on both of his earlier wives but is now married to his mistress. If Barrack Obama had a similiar background I bet she would be leading the right wing attack machine about morality in the WHite House. Thank God Newt has about much of a chance to be POTUS as she does.

March 7, 2012 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  16. Deephaven

"Newt is whom I chose up here in Alaska to best represent the ideas that many Alaskans want to see, the preferred presidential candidate in this area. That's who I cast my vote for."

Yeesh. Could Palin's supporters please chip in and get this woman a few remedial grammar lessons? She speaks like a child.

March 7, 2012 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  17. chuck

Same B.S. again. Pretending to run again in 2016, another bogus bus campaign so she can get a paycheck out of you suckers! Wake up people! she needs money...

March 7, 2012 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  18. Barry

Ironic. Most people on who post on this website can sure cry foul and call for Rush Limbaugh's head when he used a derogatrory term to describe an individual, yet they have no problem in doing the same when talking about Palin or any of the Republican candidates. Almost every post on this article uses a negative term attached to those individuals. Double standards are the reason I will continue to have very, very little respect for the left.

March 7, 2012 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  19. leonid7

So, she essentially just confirmed that FOX news is a haven for right-wing tee-ball, that she can't/won't answer questions when she gets mad, that everyone but FOX news makes her mad, and that if the same exact question comes from anywhere other than FOX news, it is somehow biased. Her answers literally sound like an SNL skit...but she's serious. I'm starting to think that Mel Brooks actually made this person up, and is writing all her material.

March 7, 2012 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  20. Publius Novus

So Palin's not ruling out a run in 2016. Presumably, even Palin the Rogue would not challenge an incumbent GOP president. Which means Palin thinks the next presiddent will be . . . .

March 7, 2012 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  21. allens

she is so cute. you know, the way dumb people are. poor newt, as though things were not bad enough for him. one of his mistakes was having his cheap wife out in public so often. it reminded everyone how sleezy he is. now palin.

March 7, 2012 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  22. shoes

What is this!!!!!! Somebody please shut her up!!!!!!!!

March 7, 2012 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  23. John

She needs to start talking in simple sentence.

March 7, 2012 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  24. Publius Novus

Marion: To answer your question plainly, no.

March 7, 2012 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  25. Bob

"...and the former governor made headlines shortly before South Carolina's primary when she urged voters to turn out for the House speaker..."

No she didnt "make headlines" – she muttered some irrelevant drivel which the media turned into headlines...

March 7, 2012 09:44 am at 9:44 am |