Palin votes for Gingrich
March 7th, 2012

Palin votes for Gingrich

(CNN) - After playing coy in an interview with CNN's Paul Vercammen Tuesday night, Sarah Palin revealed on Fox Business Network that she voted for Newt Gingrich in Alaska's caucuses on Tuesday.

"Newt is whom I chose up here in Alaska to best represent the ideas that many Alaskans want to see, the preferred presidential candidate in this area. That's who I cast my vote for," Palin said.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Earlier Tuesday, the former Alaska governor was interviewed by CNN shortly after she voted at a caucus site in Wasilla, but refused to say who she picked in the state's contest.

But later in the evening, she had an apparent change of heart when asked about her vote by Neil Cavuto on Fox Business Network.

"I knew you were going to ask me that, and I am just the poorest, politician-sounding pundit. It is tough for me to spin out of a question like that when it comes from a Fox reporter. If it comes from another reporter, I can spin out of it. But since it came from you, I will tell you, I won't sound like a politician and I will tell you who I voted for tonight."

Palin's husband, Todd, endorsed Gingrich in January, and the former governor made headlines shortly before South Carolina's primary when she urged voters to turn out for the House speaker in order to defeat Romney and keep to nominating process going.

On Tuesday, Palin said Gingrich was best equipped to "bust through that radical left dispensation and desire to mistreat those who are defenseless, mistreat those who have disadvantages."

Referring to him as "the cheerful one," a label Gingrich gave himself during CNN's Arizona debate last month, Palin said she appreciates "what he has stood for."

"He has been the underdog in many of these primary races and these caucuses. My preference tonight was for the cheerful one," Palin said.

She added that her husband was an independent and did not vote in the Republican contest on Tuesday.

Palin ran as Republican Sen. John McCain's running mate in the 2008 presidential election. While McCain is now backing Mitt Romney, Palin said she would support Romney if he were to secure the nomination.

"If Romney is the nominee, I hope I get to stand side by side with John McCain, whom I do respect, stand side by side with him in supporting Romney as our nominee," Palin said.

Also see:

Santorum hits Romney as 'weakest candidate'

CNN Poll: Catholic support for Romney crucial in Ohio

Anchorage snow damages GOP caucus site

Santorum fires back at Obama over Israel claim

Filed under: 2012 • Newt Gingrich • Sarah Palin
  1. tstorm

PLEASE run, Palin! This is the most worthless , unqualified group of conservatives EVER to run for president. Your stupidity would be a welcome icing to the "crazy" cake!

March 7, 2012 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  2. FPD

Sorry Yikes but "whom" is correct in this sentence.

March 7, 2012 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  3. Al-NY,NY

Say goodbye Newter.....not that you had a chance anyway. The walking/screeching e-bola virus has arrived and it's at your door

March 7, 2012 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  4. mc

"It is tough for me to spin out of a question like that when it comes from a Fox reporter." Even by the very low standards set by Gov Palin, that sounds pretty stupid. Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure she can't "spin out" because Fox pays her $1M for her opinions AND she got her a*s handed to her when she announced she wasn't running for President via some other "news" outlet.

March 7, 2012 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  5. SDC.clark

Well then, this has changed my mind now I know how to vote.

March 7, 2012 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  6. Wake up people

So she admits she is a liar and a spinner?? Do your party a favor Sarah, sit down and shut up. And while you are doing that, take the time to learn to speak proper English, you moose riding nitwit.

March 7, 2012 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  7. Tom

If you ask Sarah Palin a question, her reply is always "jibber jabber."

March 7, 2012 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  8. Ralph in Orange Park, FL

If the media stopped reporting on Palin, people would forget about her. Stop giving her undeserved publicity.

March 7, 2012 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  9. leonid7

Is mel brooks writing her material? Seriously, she sounds like an SNL skit trying to make fun of the fact that fox news is a right-wing machine. But she is dead serious and completely verified that the same question coming from anywhere else would be somehow biased. This woman is a real-life cartoon character.

March 7, 2012 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  10. Baker in Chief

Gingrich is "...whom I chose up here in Alaska to best represent the ideas that many Alaskans want to see".
    Two delusionists meet.
    SHE ? chose for Alaskans? Wow, did they ever tell her off.
    Gingrich got a whopping 14% and 1,900 votes. Twice as many voters picked Ron Paul (4th place) in Tulsa county alone (5,052).
    If there was ever truth in the phrase "betting on the wrong horse", Palin sure did it whole heartedly.
    Oh, I forgot, Gingrich came in 4th, behind Ron Paul, who had almost twice Gingrich's numbers.

As we all know, Palin is like a dementor: she just doesn't suck out your soul, her kiss is a kiss of death.

March 7, 2012 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  11. rad666

Since she is keeping the door open for a 2016 run, she is already affirming a GOP lose in 2012.

March 7, 2012 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  12. tony

In top business's, A's recruit other A's . In mediocre business's, B's only recruit other B's and C's.

March 7, 2012 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  13. Good

One loser to another...

March 7, 2012 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  14. leonid7

Sorry for the repeat...I despise the moderator and his or her delay in posting!

March 7, 2012 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  15. Bob

Who gives a damn who the idiot from Wasilla voted for?

Your day is over, Failin' Palin. You couldn't cut it then, and you can't cut it now.

March 7, 2012 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  16. Jerry

I used to admire Ms. Palin. All of a sudden, she has become irrelevant. Oh well.

March 7, 2012 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  17. Pips

Oh look, Palin picks Newt. Newt falls off the charts. Woopsie.

March 7, 2012 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  18. NRC

At least she is now out front with it. All this talk about postponing and delaying Romney winning and that circus she helped cause in SC. If you are going to try to influence the race for a candidate be up front about it and endorse them. Instead we get the, "it's good for the party." No, its good for her candidate and the promises that he made to her.

She did say that Newt represents Alaska, well judging by the voting I think she got that wrong too.

March 7, 2012 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  19. Yes

Sarah Palin is a great american. What makes her so great is how she rises above all her critics. Can you imagine Obama being attacked by the media like she is. He is so thin skinned

March 7, 2012 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  20. SteveK

CNN's obsession with Sarah Palin is borderline scary. She is in their "ticker" 3 to 4 times a week. For those that are making the comments "Who cares what she thinks" don't blame her blame CNN. I am expecting to read some day that she took a dump at 4 am and what she had for dinner the night before. For pete's sakes CNN LET IT GO already!!

March 7, 2012 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  21. Eric

Bring on the CNN Palin haters!

March 7, 2012 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  22. John

One loser to another Loser. Fact the fact Saran Palin no one want you either, or who care about who you pick.

March 7, 2012 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  23. ART

Boy she sure knows how to pick them. I just heard she is also leaving the door open for a possible 2012 run ha ha ha .I guess she still doesn't realize just how irrelevant she is.

March 7, 2012 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  24. r schier

Fine example of a "non-news" story.

March 7, 2012 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  25. es49er

you can't fix stupid.....

March 7, 2012 09:57 am at 9:57 am |