Palin votes for Gingrich
March 7th, 2012

Palin votes for Gingrich

(CNN) - After playing coy in an interview with CNN's Paul Vercammen Tuesday night, Sarah Palin revealed on Fox Business Network that she voted for Newt Gingrich in Alaska's caucuses on Tuesday.

"Newt is whom I chose up here in Alaska to best represent the ideas that many Alaskans want to see, the preferred presidential candidate in this area. That's who I cast my vote for," Palin said.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Earlier Tuesday, the former Alaska governor was interviewed by CNN shortly after she voted at a caucus site in Wasilla, but refused to say who she picked in the state's contest.

But later in the evening, she had an apparent change of heart when asked about her vote by Neil Cavuto on Fox Business Network.

Palin's husband, Todd, endorsed Gingrich in January, and the former governor made headlines shortly before South Carolina's primary when she urged voters to turn out for the House speaker in order to defeat Romney and keep to nominating process going.

On Tuesday, Palin said Gingrich was best equipped to "bust through that radical left dispensation and desire to mistreat those who are defenseless, mistreat those who have disadvantages."

Referring to him as "the cheerful one," a label Gingrich gave himself during CNN's Arizona debate last month, Palin said she appreciates "what he has stood for."

"He has been the underdog in many of these primary races and these caucuses. My preference tonight was for the cheerful one," Palin said.

She added that her husband was an independent and did not vote in the Republican contest on Tuesday.

Palin ran as Republican Sen. John McCain's running mate in the 2008 presidential election. While McCain is now backing Mitt Romney, Palin said she would support Romney if he were to secure the nomination.

"If Romney is the nominee, I hope I get to stand side by side with John McCain, whom I do respect, stand side by side with him in supporting Romney as our nominee," Palin said.

Also see:

Santorum hits Romney as 'weakest candidate'

CNN Poll: Catholic support for Romney crucial in Ohio

Anchorage snow damages GOP caucus site

Santorum fires back at Obama over Israel claim

Filed under: 2012 • Newt Gingrich • Sarah Palin
  1. Derek

moron votes for moron. seems fitting.

March 7, 2012 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  2. John Steel

Pay Attention to me....pay attention to me. The Queen of the Narcissists emerges- briefly. No one one cares.

March 7, 2012 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  3. Alaskatrailrunner

Hey, silly Sarah – did you read the Alaskan results? We don't NEED you to choose for us – in fact, we don't need you at all. Stay home in Wasilly and take care of your little boy. And keep your big mouth out of the news – you're embarrassing us.

March 7, 2012 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  4. Gary Swanson

"I knew you were going to ask me that, and I am just the poorest, politician-sounding pundit. It is tough for me to spin out of a question like that when it comes from a Fox reporter. If it comes from another reporter, I can spin out of it. But since it came from you, I will tell you, I won't sound like a politician and I will tell you who I voted for tonight." – Sarah Palin

Huh?

March 7, 2012 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  5. SteveK

I should have added to my post about CNN being obsessed with Palin to include some of theses posters. CNN prints the sane crap over and over about her and the bobble head readers post the same responses over and over. BTW, I'm not a Palin fan but reading these comments are comical. Don't you people have reruns of American Idol to watch or something? Good grief !!

March 7, 2012 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  6. LivnRgt

March 7, 2012 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  7. David in FL

Sarah identifies with Newt on many levels

March 7, 2012 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  8. David in FL

btw. why vote and tell, seriously caved in on that one huh?

March 7, 2012 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  9. Gloria

Wow! Sarah Palin endorses Newt! She's probably hoping he'll ask her to be his running mate...They both belong on the moon. (Poor moon!)

March 7, 2012 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  10. FAbian

Loser picks Loser !

March 7, 2012 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  11. Jewels

Yes - Sarah rises above the critics? She is a phony and scammed a lot of people out of money!

March 7, 2012 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  12. MYSTERIOUS

Well, now we have all the answers!!!

March 7, 2012 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  13. brian in denver

Does anyone really care who this uber-airhead voted for? She's obviously shooting for another vp run. "Gingrich/Palin" – Whew, now there's a ticket that doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell.

March 7, 2012 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  14. Pat

snarky minds think alike.........perhaps she just worships his family values..............and ability to keep divorcing........

March 7, 2012 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  15. Jim Fawcett

Her vote should be the final death knell for Newt!

March 7, 2012 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  16. PTBarnumboy

She has a solid record of being on the winning side. Right????

March 7, 2012 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  17. Rickd

This from the MOST HATED woman in America!

March 7, 2012 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  18. roscoe

Why didn't she vote for Joe the Plumber?

March 7, 2012 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  19. Michael

Given how highly regarded she is by the republican party, her endorsement should really boost Newt to the front runner status.

March 7, 2012 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  20. Rickd

Post from LivnRgt

"Go Sarah!! Go Newt!! Let the haters spew their dribble about how irrelevant Sarah is. Loyal Palin followers know how smart she really is. Her wise words are music to my ears and many many many Americans:)"

Yes, you are right – it's music to the uneducated hillbillies of this country!!

March 7, 2012 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  21. Randy, San Francisco

Need more proof that Palin has become irrelevant in the political arena? Endorsing a loser, Gingrich and defending a misogynist, Rush Limbaugh.

March 7, 2012 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  22. billy davis

Losers pik losers. Palin picks the bottom feeder Gingrich.

March 7, 2012 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  23. Yes

I think if Sarah was to read this comments on this page, she would rise above them

March 7, 2012 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  24. carly

Palin running in 2016? I guess this year's circus will continue. I wonder who else will be running for the right wing in 2016? maybe David Duke, Sheriff Arpaio, Jan Brewer and of course Michelle Bachmann. lol

March 7, 2012 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  25. Patriot

I love all the Palin fanatics that come to CNN to tell everyone how much they love Sarah. All three of you. ;)

March 7, 2012 10:40 am at 10:40 am |