Palin votes for Gingrich
March 7th, 2012

Palin votes for Gingrich

(CNN) - After playing coy in an interview with CNN's Paul Vercammen Tuesday night, Sarah Palin revealed on Fox Business Network that she voted for Newt Gingrich in Alaska's caucuses on Tuesday.

"Newt is whom I chose up here in Alaska to best represent the ideas that many Alaskans want to see, the preferred presidential candidate in this area. That's who I cast my vote for," Palin said.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Earlier Tuesday, the former Alaska governor was interviewed by CNN shortly after she voted at a caucus site in Wasilla, but refused to say who she picked in the state's contest.

But later in the evening, she had an apparent change of heart when asked about her vote by Neil Cavuto on Fox Business Network.

"I knew you were going to ask me that, and I am just the poorest, politician-sounding pundit. It is tough for me to spin out of a question like that when it comes from a Fox reporter. If it comes from another reporter, I can spin out of it. But since it came from you, I will tell you, I won't sound like a politician and I will tell you who I voted for tonight."

Palin's husband, Todd, endorsed Gingrich in January, and the former governor made headlines shortly before South Carolina's primary when she urged voters to turn out for the House speaker in order to defeat Romney and keep to nominating process going.

On Tuesday, Palin said Gingrich was best equipped to "bust through that radical left dispensation and desire to mistreat those who are defenseless, mistreat those who have disadvantages."

Referring to him as "the cheerful one," a label Gingrich gave himself during CNN's Arizona debate last month, Palin said she appreciates "what he has stood for."

"He has been the underdog in many of these primary races and these caucuses. My preference tonight was for the cheerful one," Palin said.

She added that her husband was an independent and did not vote in the Republican contest on Tuesday.

Palin ran as Republican Sen. John McCain's running mate in the 2008 presidential election. While McCain is now backing Mitt Romney, Palin said she would support Romney if he were to secure the nomination.

"If Romney is the nominee, I hope I get to stand side by side with John McCain, whom I do respect, stand side by side with him in supporting Romney as our nominee," Palin said.

Also see:

Santorum hits Romney as 'weakest candidate'

CNN Poll: Catholic support for Romney crucial in Ohio

Anchorage snow damages GOP caucus site

Santorum fires back at Obama over Israel claim

Filed under: 2012 • Newt Gingrich • Sarah Palin
  1. Jeff in San Diego

She can see the moon colony from her backyard.

March 7, 2012 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  2. Expat American

Cotton Hill’s Presidential Burrito is Finito. Peggy Hill can endorse whoever she pleases. Her own one-hit wonder political aspirations are about as finished as the Pope is Catholic.
    Only in America would a Vice Presidential candidate emerge after dragging a $20.00 bill through a Wasilla trailer park.
    Palin is about as likeable as Linda Tripp – the only difference that she looked better in a pageant bikini about 115 years ago.

March 7, 2012 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  3. TheFatherofLies

"Gingrich is the preferred candidate in this area"? What area? the porch she can see Russia from? The preferred candidate in Alaska is Romney.

March 7, 2012 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  4. Rob

Oh my goodness, stop with the Palin news already! Her negativity ratings are so high that she hurts their chances by endorsing them,she has absolutely no intention of running in a real campaign for President. Phony,phony.

March 7, 2012 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  5. ThinkAgain

She likes Newtsie because they are both snarky, lying opportunists, blaming their bad behavior on others (often the media), egocentric and narcissistic to the core.

March 7, 2012 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  6. AKSean

This Alaskan is voting for the only sane candidate...Obama.

March 7, 2012 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  7. zaq63

and we care....why???

March 7, 2012 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  8. RB

"Newt is whom I chose up here in Alaska to best represent the ideas that many Alaskans want to see" looks Alaskans chose otherwise.

March 7, 2012 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  9. mikeM

A woman who should stay home to take care of her children chooses an adulterer! Fine Christian principles.

March 7, 2012 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  10. Max

Poor Sarah. She says "I will tell you, I won't sound like a politician and I will tell you who I voted for tonight." She doesn't realize it, but a politician is exactly what she sounds like.

March 7, 2012 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  11. justuandme

lol this is a strategy play for Sarah. The GOP will not win the upcoming election but of all the front runners who has the most power (Gingrich) after the race is at an end. It's all politics. Gingrich can get her through more doors or help if needed than the other front runners. Smart play in my book.

March 7, 2012 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  12. Wake up people

Yes, you started this with your lies. I see you are just like your idol wailin Palin. No facts at all, just make believe.

March 7, 2012 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  13. zosk

OMG, why won't this lady just disappear?

March 7, 2012 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  14. Dan Bednarik

Yes - let's stop feeding the Palin family reality show gravy train. When one takes a really close look at her, she is probably one of the most unremarkable women in context of accomplishments. What she is good at is cashing in on the illusion of her looking smart.

March 7, 2012 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  15. Unknown

Who cares!

March 7, 2012 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  16. Carol

Defending those who are defenseless? Mistreated? Who is she referring to. As usual, she never backs up her remarks.

March 7, 2012 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  17. Bill

Good. Now old Newt is out of the race.

March 7, 2012 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  18. Stephen

Wow, a wacko supporting another wacko. Luckily after this election both of them will crawl back into their holes and disappear until the next election. That is unless you actually watch Fox News. Then you'd think that they were actually relevant year-round.

March 7, 2012 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  19. Horus

"to best represent the ideas many Alaskans want to see" – Apparently not that many Sarah.....

March 7, 2012 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  20. TM

Newt just got the Kiss of Death. Being endorsed by a QUITTER is no prize, and nothing to celebrate.

March 7, 2012 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  21. Bubba

I'm still waitin' for Dubya to endorse someone. I'm sure he could really boost their numbers.

March 7, 2012 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  22. SMJ

I find it interesting that she plans to run in 2016. That means she truly believes that Obama will be re-elected (I hope, I pray). Why else would she even think aobut 2016? Does she plan on running against a Rethug President if elected? She continues to show what an idiot she truly is. Love that the "party of NO" continues to show how confused and out of touch they truly are. Just look at Florida's Governor (the Medicare fraud king) who was slapped in the face yesterday by the judicial system for his unconstitutional laws. The list goes on and on...

March 7, 2012 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  23. Stephen

Wow, a wingnut supporting another wingnut. Luckily after this election both of them will crawl back into their holes and disappear until the next election. That is unless you actually watch Fox News. Then you'd think that they were actually relevant year-round.

March 7, 2012 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  24. pkbkr

Does anyone really care what Sarah Palin things? Just go away, Sarah! Your 15 minutes are up!

March 7, 2012 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  25. Al-NY,NY

Rickd

Post from LivnRgt

"Go Sarah!! Go Newt!! Let the haters spew their dribble about how irrelevant Sarah is. Loyal Palin followers know how smart she really is. Her wise words are music to my ears and many many many Americans:)"

Yes, you are right – it's music to the uneducated hillbillies of this country!!
    -----