Palin votes for Gingrich
March 7th, 2012

Palin votes for Gingrich

(CNN) - After playing coy in an interview with CNN's Paul Vercammen Tuesday night, Sarah Palin revealed on Fox Business Network that she voted for Newt Gingrich in Alaska's caucuses on Tuesday.

"Newt is whom I chose up here in Alaska to best represent the ideas that many Alaskans want to see, the preferred presidential candidate in this area. That's who I cast my vote for," Palin said.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Earlier Tuesday, the former Alaska governor was interviewed by CNN shortly after she voted at a caucus site in Wasilla, but refused to say who she picked in the state's contest.

But later in the evening, she had an apparent change of heart when asked about her vote by Neil Cavuto on Fox Business Network.

"I knew you were going to ask me that, and I am just the poorest, politician-sounding pundit. It is tough for me to spin out of a question like that when it comes from a Fox reporter. If it comes from another reporter, I can spin out of it. But since it came from you, I will tell you, I won't sound like a politician and I will tell you who I voted for tonight."

Palin's husband, Todd, endorsed Gingrich in January, and the former governor made headlines shortly before South Carolina's primary when she urged voters to turn out for the House speaker in order to defeat Romney and keep to nominating process going.

On Tuesday, Palin said Gingrich was best equipped to "bust through that radical left dispensation and desire to mistreat those who are defenseless, mistreat those who have disadvantages."

Referring to him as "the cheerful one," a label Gingrich gave himself during CNN's Arizona debate last month, Palin said she appreciates "what he has stood for."

"He has been the underdog in many of these primary races and these caucuses. My preference tonight was for the cheerful one," Palin said.

She added that her husband was an independent and did not vote in the Republican contest on Tuesday.

Palin ran as Republican Sen. John McCain's running mate in the 2008 presidential election. While McCain is now backing Mitt Romney, Palin said she would support Romney if he were to secure the nomination.

"If Romney is the nominee, I hope I get to stand side by side with John McCain, whom I do respect, stand side by side with him in supporting Romney as our nominee," Palin said.

Also see:

Santorum hits Romney as 'weakest candidate'

CNN Poll: Catholic support for Romney crucial in Ohio

Anchorage snow damages GOP caucus site

Santorum fires back at Obama over Israel claim

Filed under: 2012 • Newt Gingrich • Sarah Palin
  1. Horus

She claims he has ideas that many Alaskans want. Apparently not that many Sarah.

March 7, 2012 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  2. pre-runner

Does anyone really care what this woman thinks?

March 7, 2012 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  3. Ronald Romney

Is that why the Newter came in DEAD LAST in Alaska last night? Wow, you've really got your finger on the pulse of Alaska! Oh, and America too! Lol.

MITT 2012

March 7, 2012 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  4. jurby

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... Palin just proved yet again just how much of an idiot she truly is.

March 7, 2012 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  5. klangster

how dare you call Sarah smart!

March 7, 2012 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  6. bhockey47

Oh Sarah how cute of you, not giving up to CNN but made your announcement on your Fox Network. Sarah haven't you realized yet, most of America couldn't really care what you have to say. Hey by the way, how are the Russians doing out there from your kitchen window.

March 7, 2012 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  7. Greg

Of course she would tell a Fox reporter she works for them!!! God forbid she should answer a question from another news agency she might have to tell the truth....OF course Newt lost big in Alaska soo it should not surprise anyone that Sarah voted for a loser...

March 7, 2012 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  8. Mom

"the preferred presidential candidate in this area."

Well, so much for that theory.

March 7, 2012 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  9. Robert

WHY does anyone (or did anyone) care about what this total bimbo says or thinks? (that's the scary part)

March 7, 2012 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  10. Anonymous

Who cares what she thinks

March 7, 2012 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  11. tumbleweed

Barry, a college student speaking before Congress is not the same as someone who wants to run the entire country. Wake up and smell the coffee. Sara Palin and the other candidates are getting paid millions for putting themselves out there for their much deserved ridicule. The college student was just being a citizen. You see the difference ditto head?

March 7, 2012 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  12. mittens

Why in the name of all that is holy does CNN continue to give this witless half-a-term loser the attention she so desperately craves?

March 7, 2012 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  13. SteveK

To zosk

"OMG, why won't this lady just disappear?" She didn't write the story CNN did. Correct?

March 7, 2012 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  14. Michael in Houston

Palin...not suprised you would pick Newt. It makes sense for you. As far as you on this coming ticket or any ticket...take a freakin hike. Your far more enamored with yourself then the rest of the Nation. You may have a base but it has zero muscle to win anything in a general election. Stick to your failed reality shows. Its really what you do best.

March 7, 2012 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  15. Susan

LOL, she just picked Gingrich because she didnt want to harm Romney's chances!

March 7, 2012 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  16. Yo Mama

Sarah Palin is to politics what Snookie is to celebrity !

March 7, 2012 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  17. Andrew

Trust her to pick the bottom of the barrel...

March 7, 2012 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  18. Yes

i don't know why everybody on this page is attacking Sarah. Our counry's real problems are unemployment, growing out of control debt, unstatainable expansion of our enttitlement society, and lack of trust from our friends around the world. None of these problems were created by Sarah. They are being created by our current president

March 7, 2012 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  19. Eagle Eye

I suprised that Sarah Palin didn't write herself in as a candidtae for President. Just think if Newt were to win the nomination Sarah Palin could be his Vice Presidential runing mate. That's scary.

March 7, 2012 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  20. Kenny

So Palin throws her vote into the basket of "The Cheerful One", Gingrich. I guess she hopes that if "Newt The Hoot" is elected POTM (President of the Moon) she will become his Vice President. On that issue I must stand with Sarah Palin as she is most qualified being that she is so spaced out but I think the First Lady of the Moon, whichever wife Gingrich chooses will give in to the idea of Gingrich being in a bunker alone with her hehehe or even in the Moon Oval Office.

March 7, 2012 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  21. batteryinme

I love and loathe politics.....these people are hilarious and sad at the same time. So much money, so few ideas, so little credibility......America.

March 7, 2012 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  22. Beth

"Newt is whom I chose up here in Alaska to best represent the ideas that many Alaskans want to see, the preferred presidential candidate in this area"

He got 14% of the Alaskan vote. He is clearly not the preferred candidate. She is so out of touch with America, its sad. Also...

"It is tough for me to spin out of a question like that when it comes from a Fox reporter."

Seriously?!? Palin is such an insincere suck up, it makes me queesy.

March 7, 2012 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  23. Steve

First, who cares what Palin thinks, does or says anymore? Why do we continue to glorify people who have shown the lack of even the mildest sense of intellect?
    Second, is this really a positive for Newt? Getting picked by the person who is considered to be so out of touch with American values and needs? A person who is considered to be one of the main reasons the GOP lost in 2008?

March 7, 2012 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  24. basketcase

How is he the preferred candidate when he only got 14% of the vote in Alaska? Looks more like Romney is the preferred candidate, with Santorum close behind.

March 7, 2012 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  25. Senor Ed

A quitter votes for someone who doesn't know when to quit. Maybe Newt is just staying in it to help Romney by splitting the whacko vote with Santorum (oooh, I love that word santorum)?

March 7, 2012 11:08 am at 11:08 am |