Palin votes for Gingrich
March 7th, 2012

Palin votes for Gingrich

(CNN) - After playing coy in an interview with CNN's Paul Vercammen Tuesday night, Sarah Palin revealed on Fox Business Network that she voted for Newt Gingrich in Alaska's caucuses on Tuesday.

"Newt is whom I chose up here in Alaska to best represent the ideas that many Alaskans want to see, the preferred presidential candidate in this area. That's who I cast my vote for," Palin said.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Earlier Tuesday, the former Alaska governor was interviewed by CNN shortly after she voted at a caucus site in Wasilla, but refused to say who she picked in the state's contest.

But later in the evening, she had an apparent change of heart when asked about her vote by Neil Cavuto on Fox Business Network.

"I knew you were going to ask me that, and I am just the poorest, politician-sounding pundit. It is tough for me to spin out of a question like that when it comes from a Fox reporter. If it comes from another reporter, I can spin out of it. But since it came from you, I will tell you, I won't sound like a politician and I will tell you who I voted for tonight."

Palin's husband, Todd, endorsed Gingrich in January, and the former governor made headlines shortly before South Carolina's primary when she urged voters to turn out for the House speaker in order to defeat Romney and keep to nominating process going.

On Tuesday, Palin said Gingrich was best equipped to "bust through that radical left dispensation and desire to mistreat those who are defenseless, mistreat those who have disadvantages."

Referring to him as "the cheerful one," a label Gingrich gave himself during CNN's Arizona debate last month, Palin said she appreciates "what he has stood for."

"He has been the underdog in many of these primary races and these caucuses. My preference tonight was for the cheerful one," Palin said.

She added that her husband was an independent and did not vote in the Republican contest on Tuesday.

Palin ran as Republican Sen. John McCain's running mate in the 2008 presidential election. While McCain is now backing Mitt Romney, Palin said she would support Romney if he were to secure the nomination.

"If Romney is the nominee, I hope I get to stand side by side with John McCain, whom I do respect, stand side by side with him in supporting Romney as our nominee," Palin said.

Also see:

Santorum hits Romney as 'weakest candidate'

CNN Poll: Catholic support for Romney crucial in Ohio

Anchorage snow damages GOP caucus site

Santorum fires back at Obama over Israel claim

Filed under: 2012 • Newt Gingrich • Sarah Palin
  1. parkmore

What a waist of time. I cannot believe still people are voting for Santorum, Newt and Palin

March 7, 2012 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  2. michelle

why CNN sent a news crew to Alaska to get that NoBody's opinion is beyond me!

March 7, 2012 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  3. Dan

That's about as meaningful as an endorsement from Snooky.

March 7, 2012 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  4. Charlie from the North

Wow and if my math is right (I had to do the math because Newt did not make it in to the top three so CNN did not have him on their Alaska chart) Newt got 15& of the Alaska vote. I know you want to be a "King maker" Sarah but don't give up your day job as a Fox News Talking (mt) Head.

March 7, 2012 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  5. Sharon Adelmann

Newt mights as well hang it up for sure now, Palin's endorsement is like the kiss of the death!

March 7, 2012 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  6. Jack

This is like Elmer Fudd being endorsed by "That cwazy wabbit."

March 7, 2012 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  7. KTinCA

Somebody please sit down with this woman and set her straight. Newt is not electable. Neither are you. Unless you want four more years of BO followed by eight years of Hilary Clinton, please sit down and hush.

March 7, 2012 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  8. MC

"Who cares what a money grabber thinks"
    "Who care what that twit thinks"
    Obviously both of you both do since you clicked on the article and even made a comment about it.
    Here's your sign.

March 7, 2012 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  9. happynurse

isnt sarah palin's 15 minutes long over...she is irrelevant

March 7, 2012 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  10. Davis

And that's all you need to know about Palin. A fake Tea Partier! Just like Newt. CFR cronies.

March 7, 2012 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  11. Noodle Nose Johnson

"Newt is whom I chose up here in Alaska to best represent the ideas that many Alaskans want to see, the preferred presidential candidate in this area. That's who I cast my vote for"

This woman's mangling of the English language and sentence structure is a phenomenon. She's like a cross between Yoda and Damon Wayans prisoner from Living Color. "Allow me to expose my colon once again. The ramification inflicted on the incision placed within the Fallopian cavities serves to be holistic taken from the Latin word "jalapeno"

March 7, 2012 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  12. Tex71

I was hoping Palin would be Santorum's choice for VP – the only way Rick could get any funnier. But I guess a Gingrich-Palin ticket could be even more entertaining: the IQ gap between them is about 190, both have overinflated egos, and Gingrich's fiery temper combined with Palin's sharp tongue would ensure a campaign full of personality clashes in which sparks – and fur – would fly.
    Ahhh – one can daydream.

March 7, 2012 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  13. jaywing

Sarah, your rocket to Newt's moon colony is leaving tomorrow - PLEASE do not miss this flight!

March 7, 2012 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  14. R.I.P. Damon

For Sarah Palin being a 'nobody', liberals sure get bent out of shape whenever she speaks. Face it: they are still TERRIFIED of her

March 7, 2012 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  15. LouAZ

I knew it, I knew it ! She voted for the smartest man on the moon !

March 7, 2012 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  16. cali girl

Newt is on his way out, and Pain is on her way down. Down, Down Down. No thanks

March 7, 2012 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  17. TJeff1776

WELL- that politically finishes Ms. Palin. She and husband endorsed The Grinch AND Romney blew the lid. SO where does a massive political loser go- methinks Romney just might have need of another VP....wwwwwwooooops. Six months from now Fox News will show her in a photo feeding a moose////errr a Grinch.

March 7, 2012 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  18. jaywing

"R.I.P. Damon" - sorry, you're so completely deluded. No one, and I mean no one - independent, liberal or moderate, is terrified of a loser like Palin. The reason people respond with such vitriol is because they are sick of her lies, her snarky BS and her psychotic need to be noticed. She does not add to the political dialogue of this country - she simply shoots off her mouth - and she is usually wrong. She needs to shut up and go away.

March 7, 2012 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  19. Norm

Oh well that just clinches it for me.
    If Sarah Palin says vote for Newt.
    Then that's who I'm going to vote for.
    LOL..

March 7, 2012 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  20. Laurie in Spokane

Palin WOULD vote for Gingrich. A loser voting for a loser is all that is.

March 7, 2012 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  21. Al-NY,NY

R.I.P. Damon

----------------

hey Rocket Scientist.....here's how "scared" we are of Simple Sarah.... run her as VP.......PLEASE. Have her speak at the convention.....PLEASE. Let her tour w/ the nominee (Romney)....PLEASE. The more we can link that dimwit to the nominee the easier it will be to gather even more electoral votes than in 2008 when she sunk McCain's candidacy like a 5 ton anchor. He wants nothing to do with her, as does any thinking Republican but you just keep on staring lustfully at your Palin doll and dreaming........

March 7, 2012 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  22. CaliforniaBC

She only voted for Gingrich because he offered her a spot in his administration.

March 7, 2012 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  23. Jake

the Quitter endorsed a Loser? so what!?

March 7, 2012 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  24. ted

The real question here is how many votes did Palin get? One? If only one, who cares out of millions of votes. But if Alaska is like Chicago, vote early-vote often, we need to know how many times she voted and was she consistent in voting for Gingrich. We also need to see her long form birth certificate.

In essence and in summary – Who really cares about Sarah Palin?

March 7, 2012 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  25. Gerald Fnord

It sounds like a clever way of seeming to be submissive to her husband whilst simultaneously voting for (in effect) no-one, thereby keeping her out of the Romney/Santorum factionalism that could cut down books-sales and speaking fees.

March 7, 2012 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |