Palin votes for Gingrich
March 7th, 2012

Palin votes for Gingrich

(CNN) - After playing coy in an interview with CNN's Paul Vercammen Tuesday night, Sarah Palin revealed on Fox Business Network that she voted for Newt Gingrich in Alaska's caucuses on Tuesday.

"Newt is whom I chose up here in Alaska to best represent the ideas that many Alaskans want to see, the preferred presidential candidate in this area. That's who I cast my vote for," Palin said.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Earlier Tuesday, the former Alaska governor was interviewed by CNN shortly after she voted at a caucus site in Wasilla, but refused to say who she picked in the state's contest.

But later in the evening, she had an apparent change of heart when asked about her vote by Neil Cavuto on Fox Business Network.

"I knew you were going to ask me that, and I am just the poorest, politician-sounding pundit. It is tough for me to spin out of a question like that when it comes from a Fox reporter. If it comes from another reporter, I can spin out of it. But since it came from you, I will tell you, I won't sound like a politician and I will tell you who I voted for tonight."

Palin's husband, Todd, endorsed Gingrich in January, and the former governor made headlines shortly before South Carolina's primary when she urged voters to turn out for the House speaker in order to defeat Romney and keep to nominating process going.

On Tuesday, Palin said Gingrich was best equipped to "bust through that radical left dispensation and desire to mistreat those who are defenseless, mistreat those who have disadvantages."

Referring to him as "the cheerful one," a label Gingrich gave himself during CNN's Arizona debate last month, Palin said she appreciates "what he has stood for."

"He has been the underdog in many of these primary races and these caucuses. My preference tonight was for the cheerful one," Palin said.

She added that her husband was an independent and did not vote in the Republican contest on Tuesday.

Palin ran as Republican Sen. John McCain's running mate in the 2008 presidential election. While McCain is now backing Mitt Romney, Palin said she would support Romney if he were to secure the nomination.

"If Romney is the nominee, I hope I get to stand side by side with John McCain, whom I do respect, stand side by side with him in supporting Romney as our nominee," Palin said.

Also see:

Santorum hits Romney as 'weakest candidate'

CNN Poll: Catholic support for Romney crucial in Ohio

Anchorage snow damages GOP caucus site

Santorum fires back at Obama over Israel claim

Filed under: 2012 • Newt Gingrich • Sarah Palin
  1. buckup

lucky us:
    No Sanatoruim
    No Romney
    Yes Newt

March 7, 2012 02:34 am at 2:34 am |
  2. Bill in Pleasanton, CA

Well ... this should give some much needed momentum to Gingrich! Very funny.

March 7, 2012 02:35 am at 2:35 am |
  3. John McCain

The Black widow has planted her kiss of death.

March 7, 2012 02:35 am at 2:35 am |
  4. Gary

And goodbye Mr. Gingrich!

March 7, 2012 02:36 am at 2:36 am |
  5. craig

And we care about her opinion because....?

March 7, 2012 02:49 am at 2:49 am |
  6. FRANK FROM LAS VEGAS

Beautiful! One big loser endorses another big loser, what a great country. They do have an awful lot in common, neither one has problem telling outright lies, they both love to misquote their opponent, they both truly enjoy calling the other guy names or trying to hang a falsehood on them. These two truly deserve each other, in fact Newt's wife better keep an eye on the two of them or Newty will be having another new wife.

March 7, 2012 02:53 am at 2:53 am |
  7. Daws

Oooo I bet I know who wife number 4 will beeee!

March 7, 2012 02:56 am at 2:56 am |
  8. neil

And this is important because?

March 7, 2012 02:59 am at 2:59 am |
  9. frag

Only CNN cares who Palin voted for!

March 7, 2012 03:04 am at 3:04 am |
  10. OrangeW3dge

"radical left"
    gee, it just feels so good to say it. I think I'll just say it all night.
    Just to be fair, these are the same exact worlds that she used in the interview about Rush Limbaugh yesterday, but I didn't see her look at her hand, even once.

March 7, 2012 03:11 am at 3:11 am |
  11. SixDegrees

Does anyone care?

March 7, 2012 03:13 am at 3:13 am |
  12. Anonymous

Will someone please tell me why do they care what this idiotic coward who was too afraid to be governor or to at least try and run this time around ….

March 7, 2012 03:17 am at 3:17 am |
  13. Howie

I understand Frank from Ohio voted for Ron Paul. It feels about the same level of revelance as Sarah Palin. Non story, non personality. Way to go Alaskians you feel like Newt...

March 7, 2012 03:18 am at 3:18 am |
  14. phillykev

March 7, 2012 03:18 am at 3:18 am |
  15. stranger in an increasingly strange land

This was a no-brainer. Literally a no-brainer. A serial womanizer, for sale to anyone with enough money, who was too corrupt to be a Republican for Gods sake. Picked by the woman who single handedly almost destroyed the Republican Party during the last Presidential election.

This goes to show that, no matter how bad the upcoming HBO movie paints Palin, she is even dumber in real life. She is petty, vindicitive, egotistical for no apparent reason and would attend the opening of a refrigerator if there was a camera there.

March 7, 2012 03:22 am at 3:22 am |
  16. Palin Power

Newt will not win the nomination because Sarah Palin is going to win it. She is going to be our next President.

March 7, 2012 03:23 am at 3:23 am |
  17. Imho2d

She's my favorite cartoon...lol She really thinks she's so important to health of the U.S. & I can just imagine how eager McCain is to be standing side by side with her with Romney (the guy she didn't vote for & who obviously can't " bust" through anything). I heard somewhere that some people are slow, but others just can't learn. ;)

March 7, 2012 03:24 am at 3:24 am |
  18. fheal

Lesson two: A skirt doesn't make a bulldog's bite feel any better.

And now for the retro news... the news of the past which shaped tomorrows future... from the women herself that cost John McCain everything. What the North Vietnamese couldn't break, one fast talking broad w/no brains sure did.

Strike two.... a swing and a miss... game over. The Fat Lipped lady sings.
    (got the idea – her 15 minutes are over)

March 7, 2012 03:24 am at 3:24 am |
  19. Michael

**Shakes his head**

Why am I not surprised by this?

March 7, 2012 03:29 am at 3:29 am |
  20. Mr. Izz

I guess her vote wasn't that big of an difference maker. Gingrich came in fourth, well behind everyone. Yep, he must be the one that is best for Alaska.

March 7, 2012 03:35 am at 3:35 am |
  21. paul

wow, sucks to be gingrich right now.

March 7, 2012 03:37 am at 3:37 am |
  22. T. E. Lawrence O. A.

Palin says "I won't sound like a politician" after a 5 minute set up to her massive disclosure? What a loon. How does that breathless response in any way NOT sound like the Spin she's attempting?

March 7, 2012 03:37 am at 3:37 am |
  23. David

I guess Palin respects Newt for all he has stood for. Dumping two wives that were ill, while having an affair. Being the most censured speaker of the house of all time. Being a whore to anyone who is will to pay him. And these great quotes.

A mere forty years ago, beach volleyball was just beginning. No bureaucrat would have invented it, and that's what freedom is all about.

“Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did.”

I bet Palin thinks she can see Cuba from Georgia. Yes the republicans are the party that cares for the poor and disadvantaged.Hell they do not need those shelters, the food banks, free clinics. Hell to the republicans these people are nothing but surplus population.

March 7, 2012 03:41 am at 3:41 am |
  24. steve

Of course Looser for looser, next Mrs. Gringrich.

March 7, 2012 03:45 am at 3:45 am |