Palin votes for Gingrich
March 7th, 2012

Palin votes for Gingrich

(CNN) - After playing coy in an interview with CNN's Paul Vercammen Tuesday night, Sarah Palin revealed on Fox Business Network that she voted for Newt Gingrich in Alaska's caucuses on Tuesday.

"Newt is whom I chose up here in Alaska to best represent the ideas that many Alaskans want to see, the preferred presidential candidate in this area. That's who I cast my vote for," Palin said.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Earlier Tuesday, the former Alaska governor was interviewed by CNN shortly after she voted at a caucus site in Wasilla, but refused to say who she picked in the state's contest.

But later in the evening, she had an apparent change of heart when asked about her vote by Neil Cavuto on Fox Business Network.

"I knew you were going to ask me that, and I am just the poorest, politician-sounding pundit. It is tough for me to spin out of a question like that when it comes from a Fox reporter. If it comes from another reporter, I can spin out of it. But since it came from you, I will tell you, I won't sound like a politician and I will tell you who I voted for tonight."

Palin's husband, Todd, endorsed Gingrich in January, and the former governor made headlines shortly before South Carolina's primary when she urged voters to turn out for the House speaker in order to defeat Romney and keep to nominating process going.

On Tuesday, Palin said Gingrich was best equipped to "bust through that radical left dispensation and desire to mistreat those who are defenseless, mistreat those who have disadvantages."

Referring to him as "the cheerful one," a label Gingrich gave himself during CNN's Arizona debate last month, Palin said she appreciates "what he has stood for."

"He has been the underdog in many of these primary races and these caucuses. My preference tonight was for the cheerful one," Palin said.

She added that her husband was an independent and did not vote in the Republican contest on Tuesday.

Palin ran as Republican Sen. John McCain's running mate in the 2008 presidential election. While McCain is now backing Mitt Romney, Palin said she would support Romney if he were to secure the nomination.

"If Romney is the nominee, I hope I get to stand side by side with John McCain, whom I do respect, stand side by side with him in supporting Romney as our nominee," Palin said.

Also see:

Santorum hits Romney as 'weakest candidate'

CNN Poll: Catholic support for Romney crucial in Ohio

Anchorage snow damages GOP caucus site

Santorum fires back at Obama over Israel claim

Filed under: 2012 • Newt Gingrich • Sarah Palin
  1. timothy

the two deserve each other.

March 7, 2012 03:55 am at 3:55 am |
  2. rhinohouse

Wonder how much that'll cost Newt in bucks. He should just about be broke now, don'cha think?

March 7, 2012 04:00 am at 4:00 am |
  3. Neil

Has she forgotten she resigned from office? She doesn't represent Alaska any more and doesn't get to declare who their preferred presidential candidate is. It's a bit presumptive to suggest you speak for other people. Isn't that the point of democracy that everyone's vote counts equally?

March 7, 2012 04:23 am at 4:23 am |
  4. Jerry

When is this lady going to give it up with her "the radical left media is destroying the GOP candidates" nonsense? Hahaha, they're destroying each other. The media just reports what happens and what's been happening is a circus of clowns.

March 7, 2012 04:25 am at 4:25 am |
  5. Donkey Talk

Who cares?

March 7, 2012 04:30 am at 4:30 am |
  6. NanookoftheNorth

So THAT'S what was going on over at the Wasilla Senior Center today !

March 7, 2012 04:33 am at 4:33 am |
  7. Steven Brooks

Nobody cares what this has-been has to say about anything.

/End.

March 7, 2012 04:36 am at 4:36 am |
  8. MeAtHome

She makes it sound like people actually care what her opinions are and who she supports politically when in reality, she needs to fade away. And really, who cares who her husband endorses? Is he supposed to be someone important?

March 7, 2012 04:39 am at 4:39 am |
  9. David Myers

Who cares what she thinks. If you could tell us why she supports who she does and if we could be sure that was the truth, then it would be a tiny bit interesting. But otherwise – doesn't matter a bit to me!

March 7, 2012 04:51 am at 4:51 am |
  10. Kris

Who cares what this bimbo says or does, other than Faux News?

March 7, 2012 04:55 am at 4:55 am |
  11. Gaven

"Loser picks loser" should be the headline to this article.

March 7, 2012 05:02 am at 5:02 am |
  12. NC guy

Wtf...

March 7, 2012 05:04 am at 5:04 am |
  13. Pat

Looser chooses the looser

March 7, 2012 05:06 am at 5:06 am |
  14. Michael

Palin picks Newt or Palin picks her nose ....... WHO CARES !!!!!

March 7, 2012 05:23 am at 5:23 am |
  15. Mi Poo

You betcha! Gingrich will now undoubtedly win the nomination. Palin is THAT powerful!

March 7, 2012 05:24 am at 5:24 am |
  16. petena

Palin says she Alaskans want to see Ginrich's ideas represented. Alaskans can speak for themselves. She DOES NOT represent them. Has she forgotten she is a quitter? Nutty woman

March 7, 2012 05:33 am at 5:33 am |
  17. works4me

hahahaha... breath, breath... hahahah breath... please stop, you're killing us.
    Who really gives a rats rectal cavity what you think Palin?

March 7, 2012 05:33 am at 5:33 am |
  18. Jay

two of a kind!

March 7, 2012 05:40 am at 5:40 am |
  19. bluemold

Gingrich is the only candidate sufficiently mean-spirited enough to earn her affections, although it's a close race.

March 7, 2012 05:44 am at 5:44 am |
  20. Beth

"Newt is whom I chose up here in Alaska to best represent the ideas that many Alaskans want to see, the preferred presidential candidate in this area."

Newt got 14% of the vote in Alaska, he is not the preferred candidate. Just shows how out of touch she is with realy people. and...

"It is tough for me to spin out of a question like that when it comes from a Fox reporter."

Wow, what a suck up. I guess kissing up to the boss does help.

March 7, 2012 05:47 am at 5:47 am |
  21. Meekmok

Does anyone really care who Palin voted for?

March 7, 2012 05:55 am at 5:55 am |
  22. John

She should Know they are both Crook,and both are Cheat, and they both got kick out of Office.

March 7, 2012 06:01 am at 6:01 am |
  23. BigdaddyUSA

Well if that's nt the kiss of death I don't know what is!

March 7, 2012 06:08 am at 6:08 am |
  24. thegayblade

Perhaps the two of them can live together on the Moonbase? I am sure the rest of Earth would approve.

March 7, 2012 06:08 am at 6:08 am |
  25. Concerned Citizen

CNN: JUST STOP! Palin is not even a 'has been'. She is a 'never was'. Her shrill paid for opinions are a waste of time and resources. Perhaps if you stop covering her she will go back into obscurity where she belongs.

March 7, 2012 06:08 am at 6:08 am |