Palin votes for Gingrich
March 7th, 2012

Palin votes for Gingrich

(CNN) - After playing coy in an interview with CNN's Paul Vercammen Tuesday night, Sarah Palin revealed on Fox Business Network that she voted for Newt Gingrich in Alaska's caucuses on Tuesday.

"Newt is whom I chose up here in Alaska to best represent the ideas that many Alaskans want to see, the preferred presidential candidate in this area. That's who I cast my vote for," Palin said.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Earlier Tuesday, the former Alaska governor was interviewed by CNN shortly after she voted at a caucus site in Wasilla, but refused to say who she picked in the state's contest.

But later in the evening, she had an apparent change of heart when asked about her vote by Neil Cavuto on Fox Business Network.

"I knew you were going to ask me that, and I am just the poorest, politician-sounding pundit. It is tough for me to spin out of a question like that when it comes from a Fox reporter. If it comes from another reporter, I can spin out of it. But since it came from you, I will tell you, I won't sound like a politician and I will tell you who I voted for tonight."

Palin's husband, Todd, endorsed Gingrich in January, and the former governor made headlines shortly before South Carolina's primary when she urged voters to turn out for the House speaker in order to defeat Romney and keep to nominating process going.

On Tuesday, Palin said Gingrich was best equipped to "bust through that radical left dispensation and desire to mistreat those who are defenseless, mistreat those who have disadvantages."

Referring to him as "the cheerful one," a label Gingrich gave himself during CNN's Arizona debate last month, Palin said she appreciates "what he has stood for."

"He has been the underdog in many of these primary races and these caucuses. My preference tonight was for the cheerful one," Palin said.

She added that her husband was an independent and did not vote in the Republican contest on Tuesday.

Palin ran as Republican Sen. John McCain's running mate in the 2008 presidential election. While McCain is now backing Mitt Romney, Palin said she would support Romney if he were to secure the nomination.

"If Romney is the nominee, I hope I get to stand side by side with John McCain, whom I do respect, stand side by side with him in supporting Romney as our nominee," Palin said.

Also see:

Santorum hits Romney as 'weakest candidate'

CNN Poll: Catholic support for Romney crucial in Ohio

Anchorage snow damages GOP caucus site

Santorum fires back at Obama over Israel claim

Filed under: 2012 • Newt Gingrich • Sarah Palin
  1. scratching my head over that one

What does "bust through that radical left dispensation and desire to mistreat those who are defenseless, mistreat those who have disadvantages" mean? Who is she talking about? What a meaningless statement.

March 7, 2012 06:11 am at 6:11 am |
  2. TomK

Hey Newt, aren't you just thrilled you are her new 'poster boy'? This ought to be the 'kiss of death'. Wonder if she tried to 'slip him the tongue' too.

March 7, 2012 06:11 am at 6:11 am |
  3. BostonMike

No worries. He has no chance of winning anyway. Whoever she picks, it will only hurt their campaign. She needs to get out of the spotlight that she craves so much.

March 7, 2012 06:17 am at 6:17 am |
  4. Craig in Pa.

Who really cares who she voted for...she is nothing.....

March 7, 2012 06:27 am at 6:27 am |
  5. Pizza

I'm an Obama supporter who voted for Newt in Georgia.

March 7, 2012 06:29 am at 6:29 am |
  6. WTF-again!?!?

Wow! Desperate idiots of Alaska must be taping. She is like the gift that keeps giving with no cure. Who cares what she does are who she votes for? Can this world honestly say that she would have been able to do anything right in the whitehouse?

March 7, 2012 06:30 am at 6:30 am |
  7. j0eschm0e

i liked palin, but after she said the soccer mom thing she sank her own boat. and now the candidate she endorses gets sunk as well. gingrich was my vote, but he sank his own boat by saying to put a base on the moon. he is absolutely right, but it is premature, due to the economy.(on the other hand, it will happen anyway, but the longer we wait, the more it will cost.) (we cannot afford to have other countries get there first.)(it will open up new frontiers and make massive amounts of jobs and revenue, I believe that is what gingrich saw) But, we have to be behind the stronger candidate here, and as much as I am uneasy about romney, he is the strnger candidate that can beat obama. rick santorum cannot beat obama. the candidates need to get this over with and move on and back the "one" candidate and NOT SPLIT THE VOTE. if we split the vote, (AS RON PAUL HAS DONE FOR YEARS), then obama will win) Im watching you ron paul on that matter, and Im probly going say i told you so.(not that I would be able to do anything about it, but I called it.)

March 7, 2012 06:32 am at 6:32 am |
  8. j0eschm0e

But, we have to be behind the stronger candidate here, and as much as I am uneasy about romney, he is the stronger candidate that can beat obama. stronger*

March 7, 2012 06:35 am at 6:35 am |
  9. Earwig Van Klempt

The moose of doom has spoken. " It is tough for me to spin out of a question like that when it comes from a Fox reporter." said Palin after being asked the difficult question, "Can you remember who you voted for 2 hours ago?" It should be noted that only FoxNews and The National Inquirer supply Sarah Palin with index cards with the answers prior to an interview.

March 7, 2012 06:35 am at 6:35 am |
  10. stvnkrs10

It seems the people of Alaska thought differently. Hrmm

March 7, 2012 06:38 am at 6:38 am |
  11. Whatsthematterwithus

I really don't care. Obama 2012

March 7, 2012 06:39 am at 6:39 am |
  12. Gary

Great to see Sarah is in touch with her own state, voting for the candidate that came in 4th there.

March 7, 2012 06:43 am at 6:43 am |
  13. quotelawrence

Ms.Palin your vote for Newt has just caused more division Newt is irrelevant and should be ruled out, he is so anti-Constitution he seems to be more communist, and if you could see Russia from your house you would be surprised to see Russians enjoy better freedoms then Americans

March 7, 2012 06:45 am at 6:45 am |
  14. NATHAN WIMBERLY

Politicians are quick thinkers as they avoid direct answers to questions. Snooki Palin admits that she can't think fast. We knew that from the Katie Couric interview thru today..

March 7, 2012 06:46 am at 6:46 am |
  15. taylor

Two money grubbing peas in a pod.

March 7, 2012 06:47 am at 6:47 am |
  16. Ryan

Does anyone with any rational cognitive abilities whatsoever still care what this woman has to say?

March 7, 2012 06:47 am at 6:47 am |
  17. mark

So she want to ride the pole .Of a newt

March 7, 2012 06:50 am at 6:50 am |
  18. seeseehpounder

Big whoop. Somebody who will never win another elected office after she quit her last one voted for a guy who will never win another elected after facing ethics charges at his last one. That was nice of her to save the shocking reveal for Fox Business who probably isn't in many of the homes acroos her "real America". Both of these dingbats should just go away and enjoy the money they have tricked people into giving them.

March 7, 2012 06:50 am at 6:50 am |
  19. Don

Loser picks Loser. Film at 11.

March 7, 2012 06:50 am at 6:50 am |
  20. ATPMSD

Still showing us there is nothing but air in that head. ;-)

March 7, 2012 06:52 am at 6:52 am |
  21. Texico

Why does anyone care who she chooses? She is not in Government anymore....she is a laughing stock around the entire country. Asking her who she voted for is liking asking say Tom Cruise. Who cares....why does the media feel the need to keep talking about her?

March 7, 2012 06:54 am at 6:54 am |
  22. Adam Wilder

Why does anyone care what she says! Please get back on your "Snow Machine" or whatever the heck you call it up there. (It's a Snowmobile to everyone else)

March 7, 2012 06:54 am at 6:54 am |
  23. Winner

well THERE'S a black mark for Gingrich. Figures she'd pick a loser.........

March 7, 2012 06:59 am at 6:59 am |
  24. zanny

Of course she would He doesn't have a prayer and neither did she. They are both nut cases and thank goodness we do not have to worry about that mean, hateful, overbearing, condecending man ever living in the White House. TO THE IDIOT WHO KEEPS SENDING MONEY HIS WAY, I need to remodel my kitchen and bedroom, send it to me at least you will be able to see the results.

March 7, 2012 06:59 am at 6:59 am |
  25. thespiritguy

"Besides, he's the only candidate I can see from my back porch..."

March 7, 2012 06:59 am at 6:59 am |