Palin votes for Gingrich
March 7th, 2012

Palin votes for Gingrich

(CNN) - After playing coy in an interview with CNN's Paul Vercammen Tuesday night, Sarah Palin revealed on Fox Business Network that she voted for Newt Gingrich in Alaska's caucuses on Tuesday.

"Newt is whom I chose up here in Alaska to best represent the ideas that many Alaskans want to see, the preferred presidential candidate in this area. That's who I cast my vote for," Palin said.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Earlier Tuesday, the former Alaska governor was interviewed by CNN shortly after she voted at a caucus site in Wasilla, but refused to say who she picked in the state's contest.

But later in the evening, she had an apparent change of heart when asked about her vote by Neil Cavuto on Fox Business Network.

"I knew you were going to ask me that, and I am just the poorest, politician-sounding pundit. It is tough for me to spin out of a question like that when it comes from a Fox reporter. If it comes from another reporter, I can spin out of it. But since it came from you, I will tell you, I won't sound like a politician and I will tell you who I voted for tonight."

Palin's husband, Todd, endorsed Gingrich in January, and the former governor made headlines shortly before South Carolina's primary when she urged voters to turn out for the House speaker in order to defeat Romney and keep to nominating process going.

On Tuesday, Palin said Gingrich was best equipped to "bust through that radical left dispensation and desire to mistreat those who are defenseless, mistreat those who have disadvantages."

Referring to him as "the cheerful one," a label Gingrich gave himself during CNN's Arizona debate last month, Palin said she appreciates "what he has stood for."

"He has been the underdog in many of these primary races and these caucuses. My preference tonight was for the cheerful one," Palin said.

She added that her husband was an independent and did not vote in the Republican contest on Tuesday.

Palin ran as Republican Sen. John McCain's running mate in the 2008 presidential election. While McCain is now backing Mitt Romney, Palin said she would support Romney if he were to secure the nomination.

"If Romney is the nominee, I hope I get to stand side by side with John McCain, whom I do respect, stand side by side with him in supporting Romney as our nominee," Palin said.

Also see:

Santorum hits Romney as 'weakest candidate'

CNN Poll: Catholic support for Romney crucial in Ohio

Anchorage snow damages GOP caucus site

Santorum fires back at Obama over Israel claim

Filed under: 2012 • Newt Gingrich • Sarah Palin
  1. T'sah from Virginia

That's typical of a woman following her man – Why would she go against her husband and vote for someone else. She also won't go against the man who thinks, breathex and acts like her – the Grinch!! If Sarah went any other way, we would wonder what's going on in her marriage!

Obama 2012 – The Only Trusted Way Forward!!

March 7, 2012 07:01 am at 7:01 am |
  2. Dance This Mess Around

Sarah has us figured out, we cant wait to go mistreat somebody, its what we live for.
    This woman has the IQ of a dipstick.

March 7, 2012 07:03 am at 7:03 am |
  3. todd.palin

I don't care who she picks. She now means nothing to me.

Todd

March 7, 2012 07:03 am at 7:03 am |
  4. AmFem

Apparently, Palin has no idea what "Alaskans want to see" since Gingrich came in dead last, with only 14% of the Alaskan vote.

March 7, 2012 07:04 am at 7:04 am |
  5. Dave

Yawn. Palin – does anyone really care what this idiot thinks?

March 7, 2012 07:09 am at 7:09 am |
  6. Richard Miller

I did not realize that there were that many people in Alaska that had as much fat between their ears as the old Newt boy!

March 7, 2012 07:09 am at 7:09 am |
  7. BW

I guess Newt really is done. Unless Palin thought she was voting for an amphibian, there's nothing useful in her endorsement.

March 7, 2012 07:12 am at 7:12 am |
  8. That Woman Is An Idiot

Horton Hears a Who... Well in this case a HooHoo, and a Trailer HooHoo at that. Somewhere in Alaska a town is missing its Trailer Town "Blow you for a Joint" queen.

March 7, 2012 07:14 am at 7:14 am |
  9. Pablo695

A true "Palin" endorsement – One Loser picks another Loser that is consistently coming in last in most of the primaries.

March 7, 2012 07:16 am at 7:16 am |
  10. Thomas

Finally! Millions of us have been standing by waiting for Sarah's guidance.

March 7, 2012 07:16 am at 7:16 am |
  11. shapiro

That's why he lost.

March 7, 2012 07:18 am at 7:18 am |
  12. ME

i guess she feels sorry for him... vote for a two timing loser...

showing your true values here Sarah?
    ;)

March 7, 2012 07:19 am at 7:19 am |
  13. ME

i guess she feels sorry for him... vote for a two timing crud...

showing your true values here Sarah?

March 7, 2012 07:20 am at 7:20 am |
  14. Reddog9500

My vote is between myself and my conscience. But then again, nobody except myself cares how I vote. With that in mind, why would anybody care how Sarah Palin votes?

March 7, 2012 07:20 am at 7:20 am |
  15. ME

i guess she feels sorry for him... vote for a two timing grinch...

showing your true values here Sarah?

March 7, 2012 07:20 am at 7:20 am |
  16. ME

i guess she feels sorry for him... vote for a two timing loser...

showing your true values here Sarah?

March 7, 2012 07:20 am at 7:20 am |
  17. Lucky18

Just goes to show, how weird this lady is.

March 7, 2012 07:22 am at 7:22 am |
  18. SnotNose

Newt's fate was already pretty much sealed, but this just confirms it. It is sad to watch the Republicans implode by having a weak set of players to begin with, and then watching them implode while Obama sits on the sideline and laughs.

March 7, 2012 07:22 am at 7:22 am |
  19. wgf

The entire GOP lives in an alternate universe.

March 7, 2012 07:23 am at 7:23 am |
  20. Robert

Yep, she's still a moron...

March 7, 2012 07:23 am at 7:23 am |
  21. Cfrench

My god, this woman could not form a coherent sentence if her life depended on it. It pains one to read her quotes.

March 7, 2012 07:23 am at 7:23 am |
  22. angel611

hee hee hee hee ha ha ha ha ha hee hee hee
    Palin is still the funniest loser on the planet.

March 7, 2012 07:26 am at 7:26 am |
  23. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

She doesn't have much of real understanding of how government works. Gingrich doesn't seem to understand that he could do little to affect gas prices. No wonder one supports the other; both lack a certain level of understanding.

March 7, 2012 07:26 am at 7:26 am |
  24. DitchTheDitz

Get that culural-less, dumb sportscaster out of my freaking United States all-American-Bright-Girl-Next-Door face before I ask the United States National Guard to take her into custody because of her sheer stupidity in causing our young Americans to believe that their mothers are not worthy to take a spot in the presidential candidacy of the United States, but only stupid fools like this.

I have never been more insulted in my entire 51 years and fighting for MY individual rights as an intelligent American women than watching the Grand Old Party – dominated by males push forth this person of low regard and intellect as if she was the epitome of the American woman.

Get her out of my face, CNN – or I will take a stand against this news organization – the likes of which you have never seen.

Since you intentionally block out all good and smart women in favor of pay by political candidates and thugs – mark my words – I will shut down this corporation, based in Atlanta, GA and one that profoundly contributed to my current financial condition by defamation.

March 7, 2012 07:26 am at 7:26 am |
  25. coy4one

Big Deal! This won't make me sleep any better.

March 7, 2012 07:29 am at 7:29 am |