Palin votes for Gingrich
March 7th, 2012

Palin votes for Gingrich

(CNN) - After playing coy in an interview with CNN's Paul Vercammen Tuesday night, Sarah Palin revealed on Fox Business Network that she voted for Newt Gingrich in Alaska's caucuses on Tuesday.

"Newt is whom I chose up here in Alaska to best represent the ideas that many Alaskans want to see, the preferred presidential candidate in this area. That's who I cast my vote for," Palin said.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Earlier Tuesday, the former Alaska governor was interviewed by CNN shortly after she voted at a caucus site in Wasilla, but refused to say who she picked in the state's contest.

But later in the evening, she had an apparent change of heart when asked about her vote by Neil Cavuto on Fox Business Network.

"I knew you were going to ask me that, and I am just the poorest, politician-sounding pundit. It is tough for me to spin out of a question like that when it comes from a Fox reporter. If it comes from another reporter, I can spin out of it. But since it came from you, I will tell you, I won't sound like a politician and I will tell you who I voted for tonight."

Palin's husband, Todd, endorsed Gingrich in January, and the former governor made headlines shortly before South Carolina's primary when she urged voters to turn out for the House speaker in order to defeat Romney and keep to nominating process going.

On Tuesday, Palin said Gingrich was best equipped to "bust through that radical left dispensation and desire to mistreat those who are defenseless, mistreat those who have disadvantages."

Referring to him as "the cheerful one," a label Gingrich gave himself during CNN's Arizona debate last month, Palin said she appreciates "what he has stood for."

"He has been the underdog in many of these primary races and these caucuses. My preference tonight was for the cheerful one," Palin said.

She added that her husband was an independent and did not vote in the Republican contest on Tuesday.

Palin ran as Republican Sen. John McCain's running mate in the 2008 presidential election. While McCain is now backing Mitt Romney, Palin said she would support Romney if he were to secure the nomination.

"If Romney is the nominee, I hope I get to stand side by side with John McCain, whom I do respect, stand side by side with him in supporting Romney as our nominee," Palin said.

Also see:

Santorum hits Romney as 'weakest candidate'

CNN Poll: Catholic support for Romney crucial in Ohio

Anchorage snow damages GOP caucus site

Santorum fires back at Obama over Israel claim

Filed under: 2012 • Newt Gingrich • Sarah Palin
  1. Wake up people

Sit down and shut up Sarah, your words mean absolutely nothing. You're an idiot and each and every time you open your mouth the entire world sees it too.

March 7, 2012 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  2. Jack from Illinois

She'll answer the question from a Fox *reporter* – no one else. Talk about a closed-loop mentality.

Weren't her fifteen minutes up about two years ago?

March 7, 2012 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  3. Patrick

Any other nominees for irrelevant story of the day?

March 7, 2012 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  4. Bubba

Newt and Sarah, sittin' in a tree?

March 7, 2012 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  5. GBM

What a surprise. Two irrelevant people teaming up.

March 7, 2012 08:27 am at 8:27 am |
  6. AEK

I'm sorry, I don't think I know this lady. She's from Alaska? Hummmmmm...

March 7, 2012 08:29 am at 8:29 am |
  7. K3Citizen

She just put the last nail in his coffin after that endorsement.

March 7, 2012 08:29 am at 8:29 am |
  8. diridi

She is plain stupid. None of the Republican guys are any worth my thinking. Waste of my energy on these to think. Bain Capital, Religion Zealotry, Reagan Nonsense, Yes, I mean "Reagan nonsense-Trickle-Down". Ron Paul is better than all these idiots. But Obama is super even. Do not cry on socialist, your medicare and Social Security is socialistic....

March 7, 2012 08:30 am at 8:30 am |
  9. don

Read this article to see what the Idiot was up to. I see one idiot voted for the other idiot. The are both soooooooooo religious.......hyprocrites is the kindest thing i can think of........Palin and Gingrich for the insane asylum.

March 7, 2012 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  10. Mark

God i wish her parents had had access to an insurance carrier who could have provided them with birth control.

March 7, 2012 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  11. ron

Why is this EX -half term governor Palin from nowhere Alaska, even in the news? This person is not remotely news worthy, other than as a train wreck in slo-mo.
    In Illinois, we suffered through Blagojevich's 'I'm innocent' tirades on every talk show there was. He was a a tremendous embarrassment to the state of Illinois. My condolences to Alaska for their embarrassment.

March 7, 2012 08:35 am at 8:35 am |
  12. Amazed2

What the heck is Mrs. Einstein saying here....?

March 7, 2012 08:36 am at 8:36 am |
  13. Keith in NJ

Well that is the final nail in Gingrich's coffin. At least she now know how to say "pundit".

March 7, 2012 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  14. Squigman

This in itself is reason enough not to vote for Newtie. Or maybe she's thinking a shot at the vise president post is possible. Just think, it could be Newtie and nutty. Two piles for the price of one.

March 7, 2012 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  15. Calcommuter

Please, why is this person getting any time in print or on the air? Who cares who she voted for?

March 7, 2012 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  16. cigarman

Now that would be a great headline. Two Peas in a Pod Run for the Presidency and vice Presidency of America. The one running for President is a known ADULTERER, unethical boob, and married to an adulteress. The vice Presidential Pick is a total NUT JOB. Obama says bring it on.

March 7, 2012 08:40 am at 8:40 am |
  17. Too_soon

Sounds like she's trying again to get the V.P. ticket.

March 7, 2012 08:41 am at 8:41 am |
  18. Roger

Ok, the conservative woman with the out of wedlock baby daughter voted for a twice divorced conservative adulterer. Got it

March 7, 2012 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  19. mfx3

Of course she did.

March 7, 2012 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  20. Diana

I can hardly wait for this Saturday to watch the Game Change about Sarah Pain.

March 7, 2012 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  21. ActualFactual

Best represent the ideas of many Alaskans? The preferred candidate in the area? Newt drew only 14% of the vote in Alsaka and finished last. Next, she goes into this middle-school girl reasoning behind revealing who she voted for. By the way, what the heck does "bust through that radical left dispensation and desire to mistreat those who are defenseless, mistreat those who have disadvantages" mean? Even with my best translation of that statement, would a Democrat even do that? Is that not the reason the GOP is against the Dems? I guess she does make for good TV nowadays? Coming to Fox soon...Alaska Housewives.

March 7, 2012 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  22. JimAR

Every 3rd grader in America knows that "Newt is whom I chose . . . ." should be "Newt is who I chose . . . ." What a moron!

March 7, 2012 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  23. mdn

This is important news. Who did Crusty the Clown vote for?

March 7, 2012 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  24. dina

Palin's vote for Gingrich should kill his campaign. What an egotist she is to think that anyone really cares who she votes for. The Republicans had no idea they were creating this monster politician when they picked her out of the snowdrift in Alaska.Now they have to deal with it.

March 7, 2012 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  25. Boro

"That is the final nail in Gingrich's coffin." Thank you Keith. I like the way you word it! OK now, let's carry Gingrich to his final rest (grave).

March 7, 2012 08:56 am at 8:56 am |