Palin votes for Gingrich
March 7th, 2012

Palin votes for Gingrich

(CNN) - After playing coy in an interview with CNN's Paul Vercammen Tuesday night, Sarah Palin revealed on Fox Business Network that she voted for Newt Gingrich in Alaska's caucuses on Tuesday.

"Newt is whom I chose up here in Alaska to best represent the ideas that many Alaskans want to see, the preferred presidential candidate in this area. That's who I cast my vote for," Palin said.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Earlier Tuesday, the former Alaska governor was interviewed by CNN shortly after she voted at a caucus site in Wasilla, but refused to say who she picked in the state's contest.

But later in the evening, she had an apparent change of heart when asked about her vote by Neil Cavuto on Fox Business Network.

Palin's husband, Todd, endorsed Gingrich in January, and the former governor made headlines shortly before South Carolina's primary when she urged voters to turn out for the House speaker in order to defeat Romney and keep to nominating process going.

On Tuesday, Palin said Gingrich was best equipped to "bust through that radical left dispensation and desire to mistreat those who are defenseless, mistreat those who have disadvantages."

Referring to him as "the cheerful one," a label Gingrich gave himself during CNN's Arizona debate last month, Palin said she appreciates "what he has stood for."

"He has been the underdog in many of these primary races and these caucuses. My preference tonight was for the cheerful one," Palin said.

She added that her husband was an independent and did not vote in the Republican contest on Tuesday.

Palin ran as Republican Sen. John McCain's running mate in the 2008 presidential election. While McCain is now backing Mitt Romney, Palin said she would support Romney if he were to secure the nomination.

"If Romney is the nominee, I hope I get to stand side by side with John McCain, whom I do respect, stand side by side with him in supporting Romney as our nominee," Palin said.

Also see:

Santorum hits Romney as 'weakest candidate'

CNN Poll: Catholic support for Romney crucial in Ohio

Anchorage snow damages GOP caucus site

Santorum fires back at Obama over Israel claim

Filed under: 2012 • Newt Gingrich • Sarah Palin
  1. mike

Who cares ?

March 7, 2012 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  2. HCrawford

What a stupid move! Is she still around? Why?

March 7, 2012 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  3. rika33

They do compliment each other – maybe she could be wife #4 – then we could have a twofer like the Clintons.

March 7, 2012 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  4. Andrew

In other news, Ron Paul shot past Newt Gingrich in national polls just after Palins support was announced....

March 7, 2012 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  5. Puddin

These two arrogant, sarcastic mouths belong together. What a turn-off they are....

March 7, 2012 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  6. Boston Guy

One loser hypocrite voted for another loser hypocrite. What more could we expect from her. She's ok with a man who twice had affairs, twice divorced his wives to marry his mistresses and this is only what we really know of, wanted is 2nd wife to be a play thing along with his future 3rd wife......doesn't this sound like a plot to the new show GCB "Good Christian Bioootch"? Listen Sarah honey, just because he signed a "moral" contract to not cheat on his 3rd wife doesn't put him sitting next to God. I'm sure the Alaskan people do not what you speaking for them who is right for their state.

March 7, 2012 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  7. PM Ohio

"I knew you were going to ask me that, and I am just the poorest, politician-sounding pundit. It is tough for me to spin out of a question like that when it comes from a Fox reporter. If it comes from another reporter, I can spin out of it. But since it came from you, I will tell you, I won't sound like a politician and I will tell you who I voted for tonight." So when Faux News asks her a quaetion, she is honest, but if someone else asks the same question, she's evasive or lies? Gotcha. she's even dumber that I thought.

March 7, 2012 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  8. billy

Still clinging to the false hope that she may get another VP shot – stupid is as stupid does ;-)

March 7, 2012 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  9. Me 3

Sorry. I will not be going to see the Palin movie. I do not need a movie to remind me that this woman is an idiot, and that John (Bomb Bomb Bomb Iran) McCain is a loose cannon and just as dangerous and irresponsible for putting his country at jeoprody for choosing this idiot for his running mate.

March 7, 2012 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  10. PM Ohio

Even if Gingrich is the one she most identifies with, i applaud her going with her convictions, but Gingrich is going to drop out any day, so who of the serious candidates does she support? Mittens or Santorium? I want my friend John to be President, but he has about as much chance as Newt of getting elected.

March 7, 2012 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  11. Grady

Birds of a feather...

March 7, 2012 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  12. kraut

...it's been too long, Sarah, where have you been?

March 7, 2012 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  13. PM Ohio

Calcommuter says, "Please, why is this person getting any time in print or on the air? Who cares who she voted for?" The answer is the idiots who tune into Faux News for thier propaganda are deperate for someone who can even give Obama a challenge. Unless the economy collapses, Obama will win by double digits in November, going against the likes of Mittens and the Ayatolla Santorum.

March 7, 2012 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  14. PROUD FEMALE DEM IN NC

And we care why?........ really who cares what candidate this moron voted for. Not surprised she voted for the Newt. Stupid and bigoted hate mongers stick together. Obama 2012!!!!!!

March 7, 2012 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  15. Judas

"Newt is whom I chose up here in Alaska to best represent the ideas that many Alaskans want to see, the preferred presidential candidate in this area.”

Sarah really has her finger on the pulse of her former constituents, doesn’t she? Gingrich came in dead last in Alaska with 14 percent of the vote. Palin’s open support of the Looney-tune contingent of 2010 didn’t work out so well, so is it any surprise Gingrich started his downhill slide shortly after Palin stated her support of his candidacy. I hope this tainted relic disappears after November.

March 7, 2012 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  16. Yikes

Is "whom" I chose... God no wonder the republicans go after educated people like their lives depend on it. College is for the elite...I guess multiple colleges still couldn't crack that nut.

March 7, 2012 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  17. Don

From one Don to another......... In your name calling of hypocrite to 'religious' people. I would rather go to church with a hypocrite than to HELL with one!

March 7, 2012 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  18. Durundal

yet another reason why I continue to lose all respect for my countrymen – the fact that people like her and santorum get attention makes me think that perhaps we shouldnt let the simpletons run amok anymore in the voting booths

March 7, 2012 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  19. PM Ohio

Dispensation:
    1. An act or instance of dispensing; distribution.
    2. something that is distributed or given out.
    3. a certain order, system, or arrangement; administration or management.
    4. Theology .
    a. the divine ordering of the affairs of the world.
    b. an appointment, arrangement, or favor, as by God.
    c. a divinely appointed order or age: the old Mosaic, or Jewish, dispensation; the new gospel, or Christian, dispensation.
    5. a dispensing with, doing away with, or doing without something.

Isn't #4 the very definition of the radical right's thinking? Isn't it the liberals who are in favor of programs to help the poor and disadvantaged? Isn't it the goal of the Tea Party and the rich to get rid of all entitlements? It sounds like Ms. Palin is a closet liberal and just doens't know what being a liberal or conservative means.

March 7, 2012 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  20. Marion

She has the cluelessness to say the following:

Who admits to "spinning" the truth to the PUBLIC, Sarah, no matter who interviews you? Who actually will admit to "spinning the truth" and make it sound like that is a legitimate way to answer legitimate questions? Can this woman be any dumber than we already knew she was?

March 7, 2012 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  21. Don

From one Don to another......... In your name calling of hypocrite to 'religious' people. I would rather go to church with a hypocrite than to H E L L with one!

March 7, 2012 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  22. Kathy

She's not ruling out 2016? Isn't that an admission that Obama will win 2012? Otherwise, she'd be running against the incumbent GOP. She already knows that this election is a lost cause for her party.

March 7, 2012 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  23. sqeptiq

If, according to Palin, he is "the preferred presidential candidate in this area," why did he finish dead last in that area. Palin really has her ear to the ground, eh.

March 7, 2012 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  24. John Johnson

If I was her, I would never utter another word again in my life. What's wrong with just saying, "I voted for Newt Gingrich. I think he's the candidate who would best represent Alaska." Her mind must be an absolute friggin mess.

March 7, 2012 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  25. Don

Proud Femal Dem in NC..............Hate Mongers? Let's see...... "Kill the babies, Kill the babies! Goverment funded abortions for EVERYONE!!" Yeah that sounds like love to me................ And I love that you are lifting up a woman that said that her sex life is bankrupting her......real good hero there! Nice role model!

March 7, 2012 09:21 am at 9:21 am |