Santorum: I'm not asking anyone to drop
March 7th, 2012

Santorum: I'm not asking anyone to drop

Lenexa, Kansas (CNN) – Republican White House hopeful Rick Santorum said Wednesday that candidates currently in the GOP field should continue their presidential campaigns "for as long as they feel they should stay in the race."

His comments came in response to reporters' questions surrounding a pro-Santorum super PAC adviser's comments that Gingrich should exit the race.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

The former Pennsylvania senator said that if anyone associated with his campaign is calling on an opponent to leave the field, then he or she is "not doing so at my knowledge."

"It's certainly not coming from me, and I don't support it. I mean I've been very, very clear, unequivocal about this," Santorum said.

He made sure to note, however, that if someone were to drop out on their own–including a certain Democrat– he wouldn't be the one to stop them.

"I'm not saying I don't want [Newt Gingrich] to get out. I'm all for him getting out," he said. "I'm all for Mitt Romney getting out. I'm for everybody getting out. I wish President Obama would just hand me the whole thing. But that's just not going to happen. The idea is let folks decide, you know, what they think is best–what's best for getting a conservative, someone who's going to put this country on the right track, elected to president."

Stuart Roy, an adviser who works for Red, White, and Blue Fund, the pro-Santorum super PAC, said Wednesday that "based on his electoral performance last night and his out-of-step record, it's time for Gingrich to exit the Republican nominating process." He added that Gingrich's "campaign is an obvious non-starter."

The super PAC and the campaign are legally prohibited from coordinating their activities.

Also see:

Palin votes for Gingrich

'Joe the Plumber' wins GOP primary in Ohio

In battle of incumbents, Kucinich loses House seat in Ohio

Palin on open convention: Anything is possible

Filed under: 2012 • Kansas • Newt Gingrich • Rick Santorum
  1. logicnLA

I'll ask- Rick will you please leave America alone?

March 7, 2012 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  2. out of step

NO no no, it was not him who wants Newt out, it is his PAC, which we all know, he has no contact with.... well accept the main contributor admitted a couple weeks ago that they talk once a week... but nothing political... nope, that would be a sin, and he would have to go to confession.... oh wait... maybe why thats why he spends so much time in church.

March 7, 2012 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  3. Truth and Nothing But the Truth

Heck with Gingrich dropping out, I think OBAMA should drop out! He's been in office for FOUR YEARS and we STILL have record unemployment. This fool would have been shown the door years ago if he was working for a business. Fired for lack of job performance. Only in America, where the LSM spins Obama's failures into success can somebody with a four year record of failure run for another 4 years of failure. Yes, America, you are being asked to double down on Hope & Change, double down on FOUR YEARS of FAILURE. Do you think the country can withstand four more years of Obama failure???

March 7, 2012 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  4. Kevin

I am asking him to. Newt Gingrich drop out!!! Your standing in Santorum's way of beating Romney!!

March 7, 2012 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  5. Steve W

I just saw a local report on the news while channel surfing about Newt Gingrich in talks with Santorum and Paul. They said The ticket would be either Gingrich/Santorum or Santorum/Gingrich with Paul as Secretary of State.

March 7, 2012 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  6. Romney is not My Hero

"I wish President Obama would just hand me the whole thing. But that's just not going to happen."

He's FINALLY said something that's true. The opposite is also true – Sweater Vest is handing the whole thing over to President Obama, just like all the other GOPers.

Keep up the good work – OBAMA 2012!

March 7, 2012 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  7. Wendy

El santo knows full well all newt s votes keep romney from sealing the deal and eventually these votes will go to him. the palin endorsement helps el santo even more when newt drops out. what a bloodbath and even fox noise can t pin this on the liberals

March 7, 2012 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  8. enuff

Hahahaha. That's funny. BUT seriously... if you can't control your campaign from making statements without approval, how the heck are you going to prevent the release of information as president? It will extremely hard to tell other countries "sorry, he\she said that without my knowledge. We didn't really mean to say that we would nuke you."

March 7, 2012 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |