McCain: Palin was 'best qualified'
Then-Republican presidential nominee John McCain stands with then-Republican vice-presidential nominee Sarah Palin at the Republican National Convention on September 4, 2008 in St. Paul, Minnesota.
March 11th, 2012

McCain: Palin was 'best qualified'

(CNN) – Despite the hype, Sen. John McCain has no plans to watch HBO’s “Game Change,” the new film about his unsuccessful 2008 presidential campaign.

“I’m not going to watch it,” McCain said on “Fox News Sunday.” “It’s based on a book that’s completely biased and with unattributed quotes, et cetera.”

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

The film, which debuted on television Saturday, is based on the 2010 book of the same name and focuses on McCain’s vice presidential pick, former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin. In the election, McCain and Palin lost to Barack Obama and Joe Biden, with Palin’s inexperience on the national stage cited as one of the reasons.

But McCain defended his choice Sunday, as he has done consistently, saying she was the “best qualified person” and had the ability to energize the Republican Party.

“I admire and respect her and I’m proud of our campaign,” McCain said. “I’m grateful she ran with me.”

The Arizona senator also rejected what he said was the film’s depiction of him as foul-mouthed.

“I have been told I am portrayed as using an exceeding amount of coarse language,” McCain said. “I don't use coarse language very often. I have a larger vocabulary than that.”

McCain’s wife, Cindy, criticized the film to CNN’s Piers Morgan earlier in the week and said she too would not watch.

Nicolle Wallace, who served as a senior adviser to Team McCain during his presidential bid and was also portrayed in the film, said Sunday on ABC’s “This Week with George Stephanopoulos” that the movie was “true enough to make me squirm.”

“Watching ‘Game Change’ is like reliving the most tumultuous professional roller coaster ride on which I’ve ever been,” Wallace wrote Sunday on abc.com. “It brought back the highs – Palin’s surprise selection and her glorious moment on stage at our national convention – and the now well-documented lows.”

CNN and HBO are subsidiaries of Time-Warner, Inc.

Also see:

Gingrich pins hopes on hashtags

Santorum blasts Gingrich over 'Romneycare'

Santorum wins Kansas caucuses; Romney touts delegate gains

Gingrich calls for Panetta resignation

Filed under: 2008 Election • John McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. John McBeth

They're lying! What? Um, no.. I haven't seen it...but I know they are lying!....seems like same olde Sarah to me.

March 12, 2012 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  2. Wleywonka

RudyNYC wrote: You would have voted for the party that ............

This mindset is EXACTLY what is wrong with politics today. Choosing a president, senator, congressman, etc., should have absolutely nothing to do with which party one is affilliated. In fact, I believe the party system should be absolved and eliminated all together. One should place there vote in the best candidate based on their experience, their direction and their vision not what a party dictates. Some of our best public servants were not part of a party because they didn't believe narrowing their visions to party doctrines was in our best interest.

In my opinion when we elect our public servants there should be another option on the ballot, a none of the above option. If the majority of the votes are cast for the none of the above option we should have to start over on the selection process. Politics as usual just makes us get the best of the worst instead of the best of the best as we should be getting.

March 12, 2012 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  3. Bubba

I always heard McCain stumbled over the word "Pawlenty" and someone said "Palin?" and he said "yeah, I guess."

March 12, 2012 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  4. David

I love reading all of these posts commenting on the ignorance Senator McCain, Sarah Palin, and the GOP. However, the VAST majority of these posts have spelling and grammatical errors. It makes me smile when Democrats think they are so much smarter than everyone else.

March 12, 2012 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  5. Gary, Hunt Valley, Md.

Wow, a shocker!! McCain refuses to admit a huge mistake!! I just love people who criticize art before they've seen, read or heard it before placing judgement. I actually thought Game Change brought out Palin's humanity in an honest way. The movie will not change minds. But it struck me as a pretty good snapshot of a crazy frame of American history. The fact that Palin and her legions of fans are playing the ever-familiar VICTIM CARD is not surprising in the least. She remains vastly unqualified to hold the toughest job on earth.

March 12, 2012 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  6. Bill

I saw it and it was a good movie as far as the acting but totally biase and prejudicial toward Sarah Palin. I think the truth was streatched way to much in some sreas for the dramatic affect and to boost ratings for HBO. The movie made it seem that Senator McCain was like an ostrich and kept his head in the sand and all the miscues on the vetting of a VP candidate was totally missed? I find that hard to believe that Senator McCain would be a hands off type of candidate? I liked it for the dramatic hollywood intrigue it portrayed and give it a grade of a B, but I would give it a D for any sense of fairness to the candidates and what they actually did or didn'tdo and what actually happened? Not sure we'll really know the real truth, money for book deals and screenplays for movie deals can distort anyone's memory if the price is right. .

March 12, 2012 11:25 am at 11:25 am |