Poll: Romney moves up in Mississippi
March 12th, 2012

Poll: Romney moves up in Mississippi

(CNN) – Mitt Romney experienced a bump in the most recent poll of Republican voters in Mississippi, where ballots will be cast Tuesday.

The American Research Group survey released Monday showed Romney edged out Newt Gingrich, 34% to 32%, followed by Rick Santorum at 22% and Ron Paul at 8%. Romney's advantage is well within the poll's sampling error.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

A similar poll released last week indicated Gingrich leading Romney, 35% to 31%.

Gingrich, a Georgia native, has largely staked his presidential intentions on strong showings in the neighboring states of Mississippi and Alabama, which vote on Tuesday.

A poll of Alabama voters, also released Monday, showed Gingrich ahead of Romney by three percentage points.

In the Mississippi poll, self-described supporters of the tea party movement backed Gingrich with 38% support, followed by Romney with 23%, Santorum with 21% and Paul with 8%. Romney was ahead, at 46% support, among those who said they do not support or are undecided about the grassroots movement. Santorum followed with 23% to Gingrich's 16% and Paul's 9%.

The "anti-Romney" vote constituted 54% of the vote, while Gingrich gave up a share of that group to Santorum.

"If Gingrich and Santorum continue to split the anti-Romney vote, Romney will win," a press release from ARG's Dick Bennett said.

ARG surveyed 600 likely Republican primary voters between March 10 and March 11 with a sampling error of plus or minus four percentage points.

Filed under: 2012 • Mississippi • Mitt Romney • Newt Gingrich • Polls • Rick Santorum • Ron Paul
  1. GROVER NORQUIST IS A ENEMY OF THE STATE

Santorum and Newt could have been knocked Willard off if one of them would just drop out.

March 12, 2012 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  2. Rudy NYC

---------------------
    If Ron Paul supporters want to know why he gets so little press, then they should accept the facts of reality. Paul's message has been rejected at least twice before. Paul did grab the headlines for week or two at the height of the debate debacles, and what did it get it him. Well, I admit he raised a lot of money during one his overnight whatever-he-call-its.. Money bombs, that's it.

The facts of life are that Ron Paul's *entire* message is far too extreme and radical, even for most conservatives. On that note, how on earth is Ron Paul going to appeal to Independents if cannot appeal to a majority of conservatives? Paul is a man of science. He knows the math in his message doesn't add up to victory.

March 12, 2012 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  3. george of the jungle

theymust have fallen for the grits line surly cant be his stand on the economy or foreign policy. Obama 2012

March 12, 2012 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  4. king

I remembered back when the repubs gave corporations incentives to take American jobs to China and India, and justify their doings by calling it FREE MARKET. I also saw as they stood by and let the health insurance folks ravished ordinary Americans and calls it free market. I am looking how they are standing back as the oil companies do the same thing, and dares the president to do one his regulation policies to ease the American burden. They say drill more, but American dependence on oil are some of the lowest in history.

March 12, 2012 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  5. Woman In California

Not surprised in California. This is Mississippi we're talking about.

March 12, 2012 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  6. Fair is Fair

Jennifer M

If you make under $250,000 a year, and you WANT your taxes to skyrocket, vote for Romney. By all means.
    It's the only way the Repubs are willing to lower the deficit: Raise taxes on the middle class.

If you want to protect your income, vote for Obama. He's the one who fought hard for the middle-class payroll tax cut, even when the Republicans wouldn't go along with it.
    ------
    Why don't you just carry a sign around that says "My vote is for sale to the highest bidder"??

March 12, 2012 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  7. dreamer96

The GOP party the true Wizards of Oz...each a circus act, each a carnival barker, just an illusion, pretending to know all, and knowing very little, telling us not to look behind the big green curtain to see them controlling the leavers, see them for what they truly are, riding around on hot air, telling us what to do, sending us to fight their greatest enemy, because they are too big a coward to fight themselves, belittling us, our parents, if we show fear, the thought of losing our own lives, they promise us greatness and in the end give us nothing we did not already have...yes the GOP is the party of the Wizards of Oz

March 12, 2012 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  8. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Lady Fair – you should carry around a sign that says, "I support money laundering, more tax cuts for the wealthy and increasing the national debt $3.4 trillion to pay for it, I do not want people to have health insurance, I want a war with Iran and Syria, I want women's rights repealed, I want to return to the Bush/republican depression, I do not want people to have social security or veterans' benefits, I want banks bailed out but not the American auto industry." That would make for a great bumper sticker.

March 12, 2012 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  9. Rudy NYC

Fair is Fair asked:

--------------------–
    Never heard of those before, so I checked online to what they cost. I couldn't buy one if I wanted to. I had to produce some sort of Republican ID card before they would let me see anything. Reminded of trying to get into one of those big box club stores, like Sam's Club. No ID, no entry.

March 12, 2012 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  10. Wake up people

Yet people still support them..... Now what is that saying about the citizens of the US?

March 12, 2012 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  11. macbil

NEWS FLASH...in a related story, Romney won the Northern Marianna Islands caucus on Saturday by 87%. I heard that he promised to move his off shore bank accounts from the Cayman Islands to the Marianna Islands so he could continue paying only 14% in federal taxes.

March 12, 2012 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  12. Fair is Fair

Dearest Wire...

I don't support money laundering. I believe that if tax cuts are given, they are given across the board. I want everyone to have health insurance – I just want everyone to have some skin in the game to pay for it. If that means a federal sales tax to pay for it, then I'm prepared to support it. I don't want war with Iran or Syria, and I didn't want it with Lybia either. I certainly don't want women's rights repealed, and neither do 99% of conservatives. I believe the so called "Bush – Republican depression" had a LOT of democrat hands in it. I want social security benefits – I just want the system fixed so that it's viable for the future. I want veterans benefits, and you will find that the most ardent supporter of the military are conservatives.

You generalize far too much, Wire. It makes for good talking points, but no one takes you very seriously when you sound foaming-at-the-mouth rabid.

March 12, 2012 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  13. John

This is starting to get boring. let's just call the election now. OBAMA WINS. That will be the headlines in November.

March 12, 2012 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |