March 17th, 2012

Obama raises a pint

Washington (CNN) – It wouldn’t be St. Patrick’s Day without a pint of Guinness, even for the commander-in-chief.

President Barack Obama’s motorcade made the mile-and-a-half trip to the The Dubliner, a well-known Capitol Hill pub, at around 12:30 p.m. Saturday – early by normal standards, but just on time for most St. Patrick’s Day partiers.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

The president enjoyed a Guinness, a classic (if slightly uninspired) choice for the holiday, and spent time shaking hands with other pub-goers, many of whom were wearing green top hats and wigs. At one point he raised his pint to toast the crowd.

The president sported a moss-colored fleece jacket over an open-collared white shirt, enough to avoid pinches from enthusiastic revelers.

Obama’s Irish roots have been well explored in the three years he’s been in office. In May 2011 he visited Moneygall, in central Ireland, to visit the town his great-great-great grandfather emigrated from in the nineteenth century.

The Irish Taoiseach (prime minister), Enda Kenny, will visit Obama in Washington on Tuesday, and attend a belated St. Patrick’s Day lunch at the U.S. Capitol. In the evening the president and first lady Michelle Obama will host St. Patrick’s Day reception at the White House.

Aside from the Guinness run, Obama and his family marked the Irish holiday by dying the water in the South Lawn fountain green.

Obama’s reelection campaign also got into the holiday mood Saturday, offering a special price on green t-shirts proclaiming: ‘I (shamrock) O’Bama.”

Filed under: President Obama
  1. JodyW

A local tweeter said he was at the Dubliner on University Avenue in St. Paul, MN. Did he accompany Michelle to Minnesota?

March 17, 2012 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  2. Irma in North Carolina

Oh boy just wait all the racits republicans will be out in full force saying something nasty about the president.

March 17, 2012 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  3. Marry

What a wonderful, brilliant man and President!
    Obama 2012!!! Yes we can!!

March 17, 2012 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  4. Myviewis

I am so glad to see that President Obama recognizes that he is white also, he is Mulatto and yet people get mad at me when I mention that he is white just as much as he is black. Sometimes I feel bad for his mother as people seem to ignore her being white and her white relatives. I hope Soledad O'Brien learns from President Obama that it is okay to mention that her father is white from Australia from Irish descent, instead of always pretending to be only Cuban black.

March 17, 2012 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  5. Shortyboy

Acts like a dude you'd like to drink a beer with-even discuss some politics-wonder how the wingnuts will spin it.

March 17, 2012 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  6. Justin

Enjoy it Mr.President. Much deserved for your hard work.

March 17, 2012 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  7. rickirs

He drinks draft and shoots hoops. This is a guy we need in the White House !

March 17, 2012 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  8. Gaylon Barrow

Politicing always while we fill the bill.

March 17, 2012 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  9. Lori in CO

I just love seeing President Obama out around us "regular folk"! But, I also wonder how the repubs will put him down for this! Maybe they ned to get a pint inside them as well!!! OBAMA 2012

March 17, 2012 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  10. james s

I've been to that pub several times past. They pour a fine pint. Glad to see the President celebrating the Irish side of his roots. I am currently drinking Bailey's Irish Cream over a small bit of crushed ice. I am using my O'Bama 2012 pint glass. I may just go have a "second term" glass myself. Great day to be at least part Irish.
    Thanks Mr. President.

March 17, 2012 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  11. Jim Bourque

Here's to four more presidential St. Patrick's Day for Mr. O'Bama.

March 17, 2012 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  12. Coflyboy

Wish I were there, I would have had the Guinness with him, and would have bought him another.

March 17, 2012 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  13. us1776

I'm with you prez.

Just another hour of work here and I'll be tipping back a couple.

March 17, 2012 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  14. Marla

Wonderful to see that our President fully participates in life and enjoys it.
    Here's to you, President Obama!
    FOUR MORE YEARS!

March 17, 2012 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  15. Geterdone

Slainge O'Bama.

March 17, 2012 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  16. Steven

What a great man! I don't even care about the wars and all the debt! Obama 2012! YES WE CAN :)

March 17, 2012 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  17. Willie Floyd

Not a drinker myself but I'll tip my "coffee" to you Mr. Pres, here's to 4 more yrs. for you!!

OBAMA/BIDEN 2012

March 17, 2012 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  18. Bob

Wish I could have been there. Cheers Mr. President!

March 17, 2012 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  19. Ann

Four more years! Salud.

March 17, 2012 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  20. cali girl

Erin go bragh Pres Obama. I raise my Guinnes to you.
    One more and four

March 17, 2012 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  21. GI Joe.

Been there myself, President O'Bama.

Great President!

March 17, 2012 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  22. Discernment

O'Bryan,
    O'Callaghan,
    O'Donnell
    O'Grady
    O'Malley
    O'Neal
    O'Reilly
    O'Rourke
    O'Sullivan

I guess President O'Bama is Irish after all.

March 17, 2012 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  23. frank thomas McCoy

Will be going to the bar soon for a St Paddy,s day feast and yes some green beer, yes Mr. Pressident here is to your Irish roots, like mine, red hair and all, Four more years for a great people,s president, we love you out here in California

March 17, 2012 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  24. Four and The Door

rickirs
    He drinks draft and shoots hoops. This is a guy we need in the White House !
    ___________________________________________________________________________________
    We see how well setting the qualifications bar low works for America. Romney 2012!

March 17, 2012 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  25. Debbie

1 in 6 American's is of Irish heritage. Smart move!

March 17, 2012 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |