March 17th, 2012

Obama raises a pint

Washington (CNN) – It wouldn’t be St. Patrick’s Day without a pint of Guinness, even for the commander-in-chief.

President Barack Obama’s motorcade made the mile-and-a-half trip to the The Dubliner, a well-known Capitol Hill pub, at around 12:30 p.m. Saturday – early by normal standards, but just on time for most St. Patrick’s Day partiers.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

The president enjoyed a Guinness, a classic (if slightly uninspired) choice for the holiday, and spent time shaking hands with other pub-goers, many of whom were wearing green top hats and wigs. At one point he raised his pint to toast the crowd.

The president sported a moss-colored fleece jacket over an open-collared white shirt, enough to avoid pinches from enthusiastic revelers.

Obama’s Irish roots have been well explored in the three years he’s been in office. In May 2011 he visited Moneygall, in central Ireland, to visit the town his great-great-great grandfather emigrated from in the nineteenth century.

The Irish Taoiseach (prime minister), Enda Kenny, will visit Obama in Washington on Tuesday, and attend a belated St. Patrick’s Day lunch at the U.S. Capitol. In the evening the president and first lady Michelle Obama will host St. Patrick’s Day reception at the White House.

Aside from the Guinness run, Obama and his family marked the Irish holiday by dying the water in the South Lawn fountain green.

Obama’s reelection campaign also got into the holiday mood Saturday, offering a special price on green t-shirts proclaiming: ‘I (shamrock) O’Bama.”

Filed under: President Obama
  1. labman57

Imagine if Mitt Romney was celebrating St. Patty's Day during a photo op on the campaign trail ....

"I love the Irish. And my favorite drink is an Irish Coffee ... without the whiskey or the coffee. And I love potatoes. And green is my favorite color. And did I tell you that I ate some Lucky Charms for breakfast?"

March 17, 2012 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  2. Namecolleen

Thats awesome, Hope he had a Grand time!

March 17, 2012 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  3. Randy, San Francisco

President Obama can enjoy another pint of Guinness on the night of his re-election victory.

March 17, 2012 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  4. Ambrose Smith

Enjoy your Guinness Mr. President! I will have one too! All you Obama bashers? You can have a beer too! Enjoy!

March 17, 2012 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  5. Rob

Obama raising a pint......The second thing he's good at......The first is taking vacations when there's work to be done.

March 17, 2012 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  6. Nanci

4 more years

March 17, 2012 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  7. Nick

Good job!
    Obama 2012

March 17, 2012 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  8. Brian

Sure'n everyone deserves a pint and a drop o' the pure on the feast of Saint Padrig. May the good Lord bless him and keep him. May the Lord make his face to shine upon him and be gracious to him. May the Lord grant him peace. For the good Lord knows the Republicans won't.

March 17, 2012 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  9. Penobscot

Does this guy ever work? Seriously.

He spent the first three years vacationing in Hawaii and holding parties with Tim Burton, and he'll spend his last year campaigning. He's the worst POTUS in my lifetime, hands down.

March 18, 2012 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  10. sjenk1

I may not fully support President Obama but a big HIGH FIVE to him for keeping it real and having a beer with the 'folks'

March 18, 2012 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  11. Obama wins

Way to go Pres O!

Hope you celebrated in style on St Paddies'a Day.
    Wished I could have tipped one with today

You are thebest Pres ever

Am counting on you for four more years!!

March 18, 2012 12:28 am at 12:28 am |
  12. Phil P.

Way to Go Mr. President. Enjoy the beer and some corn beef and cabbage too. Four more years for the "regular" guy.

March 18, 2012 12:55 am at 12:55 am |
  13. rs

I am glad the President was able to take the time to enjoy one of lifes greatest pleasures- a nice pint. Enjoy it sir, with my hopes you get to do it as President for four more years.

March 18, 2012 01:00 am at 1:00 am |
  14. Seattle Voter

I can't wait to vote for Pres. Obama again!

March 18, 2012 01:14 am at 1:14 am |
  15. John D

Hope this is the last St. Patty's we have to spend with him. Time for him to move to the lecture circuit, since that is clearly his forte.

March 18, 2012 01:48 am at 1:48 am |
  16. CBH25

Love this guy. Works about 1000% more than former prez Bush, yet he manages to spent some time with normal people. Another example of the type of prez we need.

March 18, 2012 02:05 am at 2:05 am |
  17. Har Har

What an experience-having one with the Prez! I'm no drinker, I had a glass of Guinness Stout once and it tasted
    like drinking soy sauce straight up.

March 18, 2012 02:38 am at 2:38 am |
  18. rubugumshoe

Now, that's what I call an Irish jig!

March 18, 2012 05:16 am at 5:16 am |
  19. Jerry

What a big phony. He must really be desperate for votes. When is the prez going to take care of our nation's business instead schmoozing in order to make voters think that he really cares?!

With this president and his lap dogs, hypocrisy knows no bounds.

March 18, 2012 06:46 am at 6:46 am |
  20. Doozer

Bottoms up Mr President.

March 18, 2012 06:58 am at 6:58 am |
  21. Jack in Florida

A President who "gets" it!!! What a great story!! Congrats to Danny Coleman, the owner of the Dubliner.....a great welcome for our President!! Four more years...four more years....four more years!!!

March 18, 2012 07:18 am at 7:18 am |
  22. cigarman

Obama has made a few large mistakes, but he is a heck of a lot better that George Bush could ever dream of being. I am certainly glad that he gets out among the Real Americans occasionly. The Republican Talking Heads on Faux News heads are probably Exploding about right now. They will be saying, Obama taking time to play basketball, watch basketball, drink a beer with Real Americans, what a disgrace. By the way, I am a Republican voting for Obama, our four hopefuls are just to Stupid, maybe 2016. Keep it up Obama.

March 18, 2012 07:44 am at 7:44 am |
  23. Marlee

Cheers to the Obamas! President Obama is a man of the people.

March 18, 2012 08:18 am at 8:18 am |
  24. Anonymous

I think that is awesome! That shows just how down to earth he really is. I didn't vote for him, but I do commend and recognize the fact that he is more like most of main stream American's! Unlike the few crazy conservative wacko's out there...

March 18, 2012 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  25. Bill

Could you imagine Bush doing this? That dude was afraid of his own damn shadow I could just imagine him out shaking the hands of the common people!

March 18, 2012 09:15 am at 9:15 am |